The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 8th, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #33
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Nevermind

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old July 8th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #34
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Greg Weisman told me that, yes, Gaiman was pissed. Though part of that may have been Greg's interpretation of the character.

I suspect that Gaiman will be annoyed again. Unless someone from DC talked with him first. Given that he seems to be on decent terms with DC of late, it would be really dumb if they didn't. Maybe there is some sort "Doctor Who script writer" meet-up where Cornell talked to GNeil?
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
Cornell is pretty ideal for this. I can think of few people I'd trust more. Cornell is one of the biggest "fans" writing comics today. If anything, it'll be too spot on and close to the source material and won't take enough chances.

I don't think we have to worry about that, though. It sounds like he came up with the idea and that editorial didn't shove it upon him. That makes a huge difference in 2010 DC.

Old July 8th, 2010   Mark MacMillan is offline   #35
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

That actually has as much to do with the Vertigo wall as anything. Gaiman WAS pissed about it in a big way. there is NO way that comic is in canon anymore. No way.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
Actually, it was 2 back to back issues of Captain Atom (#47-48 IIRC) and it wasn't the only place they were used (we're talking about the mid 80's to 90's after CoIE here, a long way away from Vertigo's creation)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old July 8th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #36
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I'll try to find a gaiman interview on it later.

Old July 8th, 2010   zekeman1 is offline   #37
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

i was hoping for a french maid.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?
Old July 8th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #38
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Yup, it's Death. I'm interested to see how this plays out. I would love it to be Superman and her talking about Blackest Night (mainly where she was and what could negate her powers to prevent her from intervening), but it'll probably be Lex talking to her. Which, given the lives he's destroyed, could make for an interesting convo.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old July 8th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #39
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Read the link I posted. I've learned not to think of it that way because it's not a history book, not everything will fit perfectly. As long as it doesn't make big mistakes and that it's good, that all that really matters.

Definitely going to check this issue out, it should be very interesting.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
If I were Paul Cornell, I might play with the idea that the reason nobody stays dead is because Death doesn't generally do super-heroes or super-villains. She lets some appropriately mythic or surreal god or devil or man on skis take care of the super-heroes and villains. What they are and what they do is anathema to what she does. Heroes and villains are supposed to go on forever, a tradition that goes back to the Greeks and the Vikings, at least, and so she lets the not-quite-death gods handle them. And those not-quite-death gods may wax and wane about how seriously they take resurrections but even when you're dead in the custody of one of them, your soul is somewhere vibrant and interesting and your story isn't over.

But she's Death. And if she takes you, there is no white lantern ring on the other side or cloned body you can escape to. No toasts in Valhalla. It's real. Make your peace, you're gone forever. May be Heaven or may be Hell but there's no evidence for anything for a man like Luthor, who doesn't believe in a real god and just sees angels and demons as melodramatic aliens who inspired a few lines of poetry.

From there, you could get into the question of what Luthor's done to warrant this. Real death. No deals with the devil. No zombie resurrection. No story or narrative. Just the end. And with the knowledge that he's the one person in a world of heroes and villains who an exception has made for, who doesn't deserve anything special, that (if anything) he's been deemed...

ordinary.

The Joker isn't ordinary. Mongul and the Cyborg and Eclipso and Prometheus aren't ordinary. They all get deaths with loopholes promised to them because Death leaves them to the stranger not-quite-deaths. But Luthor is an ordinary man who now faces ordinary, unremarkable, real and final death.

THAT's where I'd take this.

Old July 8th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #40
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I think in the DC (as with Marvel), all afterlives exist. Death just takes you where you need to go. Sometimes it's permanent, sometimes you end up in one of those reincarnation afterlives like in Hinduism or Wicca.

RIP Tara
Old July 8th, 2010   ADGood is offline   #41
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Which is what worries me.

She's one of these characters who works better in their own continuity. You put her in a place with all these crazy crisis', different gods of death and rebirths; it sort of acts like a misshapen puzzle piece.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
This is what I'm saying. It's not so much a matter of whether you can make the story work - of course you can; you can make almost any story work if you try hard enough. It's more a question of whether you really want to. The Endless virtually - hell, maybe literally - epitomize the whole, "comics as serious literature," or, "comics aren't just for kids," mentality that really got a heavy push post Silver-Age. Geoff's books - spearheaded by Blackest Night, the Superman titles, and the GL books - epitomize an earnest push towards the re-Silver-Ageization of superhero comics, in all their rainbow-zombie, life-began-with-a-giant-glowy-white-dude-on-Earth, zap-pow-kapwing glory. Each style takes different tacks in the pursuit of wonder. The former approach goes for complexity, metaphor, profundity and all that subtext-y jazz. The latter goes for dazzlement, escapism, episodic melodrama and sheer thrill. I actually think that there is a validity to both approaches, and certainly room for both kinds of comics. But I'm not quite as convinced that attempting to smash them into one another is a terrific idea, and I certainly don't think it's something to be attempted lightly. It's not that I think it can't be done. It can. It's just that I don't see why Geoff would want to do it in the franchises he has the run of, given his heretofore successful efforts to separate the two approaches. I guess...it's surprising, more than anything else.

Old July 8th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #42
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

But Geoff isn't writing this story, Cornell is. And Death can work perfectly fine in stories where DC characters are heavily featured. She was in Madam Xanadu after all.

RIP Tara
Old July 9th, 2010   ADGood is offline   #43
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

But Geoff isn't writing this story, Cornell is. And Death can work perfectly fine in stories where DC characters are heavily featured. She was in Madam Xanadu after all.
ddf
michealdark View Post
Yeah, I know - Cornell is one of those guys that I think could conceivably make a story that works. My point was that he's doing this in Geoff's sandbox - a sandbox that has, to date, been meticulously swept free of Vertigo content grime and thematic dust. DC superheroes in general, and this handful of franchises in particular, are Geoff's World. Think of it like Elmo's World, but with rainbow goo-zombies. What was puzzling me was more the notion that he's spent years building up this particular corner of DC, scrubbing and polishing, and sweeping it clean of every trace of continuities that don't fit (or that he doesn't particularly like), down to the last speck of oily Vertigo grit. And he seems really, really happy to have a sandbox full of nothing but sparkly super-sand. Who wouldn't be? It took so much time and effort, so much wheeling and dealing, and Oh so much retconning, but now he's got it. And he earned it.

Then he calls over to his mate Paul, and asks if he wants to play in the sandbox and dump a few handfuls of that grit back into the box.

It's sweet, no question. I mean, just look at 'em playing together. Aren't they adorable? I'm just saying that I'm a little bit baffled by the effort that they put into scouring the sandbox until it was absolutely pristine, only to immediately invite in the kid with the muddy shoes.

Old July 9th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #44
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Yeah, I know - Cornell is one of those guys that I think could conceivably make a story that works. My point was that he's doing this in Geoff's sandbox - a sandbox that has, to date, been meticulously swept free of Vertigo content grime and thematic dust. DC superheroes in general, and this handful of franchises in particular, are Geoff's World. Think of it like Elmo's World, but with rainbow goo-zombies. What was puzzling me was more the notion that he's spent years building up this particular corner of DC, scrubbing and polishing, and sweeping it clean of every trace of continuities that don't fit (or that he doesn't particularly like), down to the last speck of oily Vertigo grit. And he seems really, really happy to have a sandbox full of nothing but sparkly super-sand. Who wouldn't be? It took so much time and effort, so much wheeling and dealing, and Oh so much retconning, but now he's got it. And he earned it.

Then he calls over to his mate Paul, and asks if he wants to play in the sandbox and dump a few handfuls of that grit back into the box.

It's sweet, no question. I mean, just look at 'em playing together. Aren't they adorable? I'm just saying that I'm a little bit baffled by the effort that they put into scouring the sandbox until it was absolutely pristine, only to immediately invite in the kid with the muddy shoes.
ddf
ADGood View Post
Funny. I'd say Geoff's writing reads quite a bit like the early Vertigo stuff and I have no idea what you're going on about with this idea of scrubbing and oil.

DC's super-heroes are much darker and murkier than Vertigo's ever were.

Old July 9th, 2010   ADGood is offline   #45
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Funny. I'd say Geoff's writing reads quite a bit like the early Vertigo stuff and I have no idea what you're going on about with this idea of scrubbing and oil.
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
Mm. It's a metaphor. Like the ones they use over at Vertigo. Now that I look at it, it's sort of misleading. It reads like a blanket metaphor for cleaning, which has certain connotations of its own that I wasn't really going for. It should read more as a metaphor for reorganization and philosophical separation. The sandbox imagery was actually only supposed to stand for the current sphere of Geoff's direct control.
DC's super-heroes are much darker and murkier than Vertigo's ever were.
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
...Okay, I got nothing here.

Old July 9th, 2010   virtuadept is offline   #46
virtuadept
bye.

I see that this is coming out in HC next spring, I may snag it then.
Last edited by virtuadept; July 9th, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spring not sprint

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old July 9th, 2010   JRM is offline   #47
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Not that I'm aware of. Sandman wasn't a completely separate thing back then (Hector and Lyta were Daniel's parents after all) so I don't see why he would be.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
IIRC, he had some problems with the use of her in Capt Atom story - it didn't fit how he invisioned her and I believe the word came down that she could only be used with his okay. Two odd fall outs - 1. it is effectively the starting point of the "vertigo" wall and 2. it was the same sort of arangement that Robinson has enjoyed in regards to Jack Knight and Opal in general.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old July 9th, 2010   heffison is offline   #48
heffison
Lapsed Reader

ddf
ADGood View Post
Maybe once the sandbox was clean, he felt more comfortable saying, "Okay, a little mud might make a nice accent here...and here...no, not there, but over a little by the Arrow clan...." Mud is okay, as long as he has control over how much, and where it goes.

This could bode well for Swamp Thing, couldn't it?