The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 30th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #1
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Default Superman: Grounded - Your take.

Okay. I'm not thrilled with the premise, really. But I thought I'd offer up my spin on it:

Superman is going to walk across America because he's been stripped of his powers of flight and speed by a demonic cabal of establishment figures who have deemed that he needs to be contained. They claim that he's too unrealistic and are scared about the sense of personal worth, belief in the impossible, and rebellion he's inspiring in people. He's on the verge of curing cancer and they can't have that.

So as Superman marches across the North American continent, intent on ripping apart the Illuminatti that has grounded him, we'll see him make stops along the way where he will encounter the ghost of Pecos Bill, get tangled up in Johnny Appleseed's saga and team up with Krypto to show Paul Bunyan and his blue ox Babe what it means to be a hero. This is Superman showing himself to be the dominant American myth and he's going to be tested in brain-bending battle against other American icons and institutions in his quest to get there. Get ready for that Big Belly Burger mascot kid to reveal himself as Biggebell'E the Sentient Franchise and a cannibal Uncle Sam, the dark zygotic echo of the one from Freedom Fighters, to turn his sights on Superman.

Old June 30th, 2010   Foggy's Pal is offline   #2
Foggy's Pal

I think JMS has the right idea. People have complained forever that Superman is not relatable to the average person, so this seems like a good way to put him in touch with us. Don't know if he will be successful, but I'm willing to suspend judgement until I read a few issues. Hopefully, JMS will be successful.

Old June 30th, 2010   Patrick Gerard is offline   #3
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

I think JMS has the right idea. People have complained forever that Superman is not relatable to the average person, so this seems like a good way to put him in touch with us. Don't know if he will be successful, but I'm willing to suspend judgement until I read a few issues. Hopefully, JMS will be successful.
ddf
Foggy's Pal View Post
Complaining that Superman is not relatable to the average person is like complaining a Ferrari is not a great way to transport six kids to soccer practice and run errands around town.

Old June 30th, 2010   smallville is offline   #4
smallville
YoungJustus is remembered

Complaining that Superman is not relatable to the average person is like complaining a Ferrari is not a great way to transport six kids to soccer practice and run errands around town.
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
That is an excellent excellent quote.

"I Will Have a Wolverine FREE X-Book. In Fact, It Will Be Called 'No Wolverine.'-Whedon
Old June 30th, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #5
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I'll try to expand on this later but basically this is my take:

It would take place in the past, present, and possibly the future. For the past, it would be after he left Smallville and went traveling. During this time, stories would be about how it shaped him into the hero he is today. Then the present stories would be like JMS's take, traveling around to find problems and have him doing what he can to help. Supes would also take care of any problems that have reappeared or weren't fully resolved in the past or present.

I'd keep him in uniform unless there were circumstances where it'd be better that he go incognito. He'd keep his powers and be dealing with human and superhuman problems. Certain loved ones would also join him on certain parts of his journey.

Some of the other stuff I'd work into it is...
Assuming a role similar to the JSA just not full time, he'd be watching the watchmen. So that mean doing stuff like taking of heroes who cross the line or helping out younger heroes.
Meeting and/or working with domestic and foreign heroes like Jay Garrick, Ted Knight, or the Great Ten.
Since there are some circumstances where he can't be Superman, I'd show how he helps out of uniform and without helping too much that it breaks his principles.
I also want to do a story set in the future with Booster Gold and him in Gotham City, but no ideas yet.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old June 30th, 2010   Bizarro #98 is offline   #6
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Fun thread idea. Okay, here's how I would do it:

When Tobias Manning was torn apart by Black Adam, some of his blood fell into a deep fissure in the ground, and eventually splattered all over a dormant earth elemental who had been sleeping under Kandaq for centuries. When the blood makes contact with him, he absorbs all of Manning's memories. Inspired by Manning's love for America's wild west and hatred of lawmen, the elemental becomes the all-new Terra-Man!

With his absolute control over the dirt beneath their feet, Terra-Man is able to easily abduct all the prisoners from Stryker's Island and recreate the Superman Revenge Squad as his own personal gang of outlaws. He assigns each of them a different town, all across the US. Their mission? Destroy all the police stations in the area and make the west wild again!

To prevent the Sheriff (as Terra-Man calls Superman) from interfering, Terra-Man creates a constant earthquake that threatens to tear the entire North American continent apart. Superman can only stop the earthquake by applying pressure from his own body onto the ground, meaning he can't take both his feet off the ground at once. Now Superman must travel from town to town on foot, defeating each member of the gang one by one, until his final confrontation with Terra-Man on America's west coast. But can even Superman stop an enemy capable of reforming himself from any body of soil in the world?

There you go. A similar idea, but more rooted in Superman history. If the title is going to be "Grounded", I figure Terra-Man would be the perfect villain for the story.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old June 30th, 2010   ronaldj is offline   #7
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i'm tired of space stories...i think i'm goin gto like it...

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 30th, 2010   Justin is offline   #8
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
Indeed. Superman is supposed to inspire others to greatness, not try to fit in with everyone.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old June 30th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
I’m not dead.

ddf
Foggy's Pal View Post

Isn't the whole purpose of his upbringing in Smallville, his identity of Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent and his supporting cast to make him relatable? He may arguably be the most powerful hero in comics but the type of person he is makes him very relatable to the average person, IMO.

Old July 1st, 2010   greenlflash 2184 is offline   #10
greenlflash 2184
Master Geoffan

Isn't the whole purpose of his upbringing in Smallville, his identity of Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent and his supporting cast to make him relatable? He may arguably be the most powerful hero in comics but the type of person he is makes him very relatable to the average person, IMO.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Yeah, I agree I find Superman more relatable than Batman. Batman may be human but I'll never have as much money or equipment as the guy.

Having said that Batman has always been one of my favourites.

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Old July 1st, 2010   Justin is offline   #11
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

Superman is really supposed to be what humans could become. Not that we'll all have super-powers (although that would be cool), but that we'll look after one another and not stand for cruelty or oppression.

He's the Man of Tomorrow, not the Man of Today.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old July 1st, 2010   TJLamb0518 is offline   #12
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Superman is really supposed to be what humans could become. Not that we'll all have super-powers (although that would be cool), but that we'll look after one another and not stand for cruelty or oppression.

He's the Man of Tomorrow, not the Man of Today.
ddf
Justin View Post
I think he's the Man of Timberland Hiking Boots, for a while at least.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 1st, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #13
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

"How many roads most a man walk down
Before you call him a Superman?"

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old July 1st, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #14
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Superman didn't get home before curfew and the Kents are unhappy!

Superman, you are grounded!

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old July 1st, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #15
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

In fact, I think the balance was pretty good before Infinite Crisis. He was the very best of humanity because of his upbringing and because of his compassion, not because he was an alien or because he had powers or was an alien or anything else.

It was his humanity that made him so special.

Old July 1st, 2010   Guru is offline   #16
Guru

My take on the title of Superman Grounded would be this:

Forest Gump running from coast to coast.

jk

I would have Clark walk and relate to ppl and have him doing a story from the road type of thing.

and have Supes show up when he shows up.....makes it feel more old school Hulk thing...or like Tv shows like Mcguyver or Pretender

You live your life knowing you will die.

Doesn't that just rain on your parade.