The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old April 5th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #1
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Default James Robinson's comments about his new "Big 7"

So James had his own panel at Wondercon and said a lot about the line up.

Here's the link. It is full of spoilers, but very interesting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25567

And here's what he said about the line-up. I'm putting it in spoilers as it reveals two names that are not confirmed yet, even if you could extrapolate them from covers. Unfortunately, it's going to put a lot of the discussion behind Spoiler-tags, but there you go. We're talking about stuff that's months off as of yet.

Here's the quote: SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The new lineup, he revealed, will be Dick Grayson as Batman, Supergirl, Donna Troy, Jade, Mikaal Tomas as Starman, Congorilla and Jessie Quick. The membership will remain the same for at least the next two years worth of stories.

I'm excited about this line up. I'm really excited about the idea that it's going to stick in the book for so long a period of time. That's one thing DC's been missing for a while.

Let's break it down a bit.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
So basically, there's a Superman character, a Batman character, a Wonder Woman character, a Flash character, a GL Character and then the two utility characters in Congorilla and Starman. You could even extrapolate more and say that Starman fills J'onn's role as the cosmic character and Congorilla fits the "nature" role that Aquaman might have fit, though James refers to them more as the new "blue and gold," which is cute. It's an interesting high concept team. I'll miss Mon-el but James says this about Supergirl, that I think will be fun:

"He elaborated on each character, explaining that Dick and Kara will be the new "World’s Finest," as Dick takes on a brotherly role to the young heroine as she struggles with the fallout of War of the Supermen."

I STILL think we get a Geoff Johns(/maybe Jim Lee) JLA group with a more traditional line-up but for now I completely and utterly love this team on paper. It's a bunch of traditional characters but in a new fresh role.

Old April 5th, 2010   eligibility is offline   #2
eligibility

I am actually REALLY excited for this. Oh, and for the two girls he said will be roommates ♥

Old April 5th, 2010   Scott Mateo is offline   #3
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

No Atom? o.o

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old April 5th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #4
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I would think he's more of a "Geoff" character after the usage in Blackest Night.

Remember. The only BN One-Shot Geoff actually wrote was the Atom/Hawkman one. He's on the promo pic for Brightest Day

Old April 5th, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #5
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Wow, that lineup, other than the first one mentioned, is not appealing at all.

Where is everybody?
Old April 5th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #6
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Cool, I'd heard of all of those members but the last one (which will be interesting).

I do like, as you've pointed out, that each fills a similar spot to an original Leaguer.

Also...

...if Robinson's comments that this will stick for two years holds true, then it's revealing that Dick will remain on the team as Batman (I assume).

Surprised about Jesse but now knowing it I can imagine why it will occur so as to avoid JSA-related disputes with her husband from them being on separate JSAs (unless she operates on both teams which is still possible with her being a speedster).

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old April 5th, 2010   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

So James had his own panel at Wondercon and said a lot about the line up.

Here's the link. It is full of spoilers, but very interesting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25567

And here's what he said about the line-up. I'm putting it in spoilers as it reveals two names that are not confirmed yet, even if you could extrapolate them from covers. Unfortunately, it's going to put a lot of the discussion behind Spoiler-tags, but there you go. We're talking about stuff that's months off as of yet.

Here's the quote: SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The new lineup, he revealed, will be Dick Grayson as Batman, Supergirl, Donna Troy, Jade, Mikaal Tomas as Starman, Congorilla and Jessie Quick. The membership will remain the same for at least the next two years worth of stories.

I'm excited about this line up. I'm really excited about the idea that it's going to stick in the book for so long a period of time. That's one thing DC's been missing for a while.

Let's break it down a bit.

So basically, there's a Superman character, a Batman character, a Wonder Woman character, a Flash character, a GL Character and then the two utility characters in Congorilla and Starman. You could even extrapolate more and say that Starman fills J'onn's role as the cosmic character and Congorilla fits the "nature" role that Aquaman might have fit, though James refers to them more as the new "blue and gold," which is cute. It's an interesting high concept team. I'll miss Mon-el but James says this about Supergirl, that I think will be fun:

"He elaborated on each character, explaining that Dick and Kara will be the new "World’s Finest," as Dick takes on a brotherly role to the young heroine as she struggles with the fallout of War of the Supermen."

I STILL think we get a Geoff Johns(/maybe Jim Lee) JLA group with a more traditional line-up but for now I completely and utterly love this team on paper. It's a bunch of traditional characters but in a new fresh role.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
More and more feeling like the old TITANS book. This write up feels like those wonderful old Amazing Heroes Previews from days of old.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 5th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #8
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

No Atom? o.o
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Geoff has been saying for months that Ray Palmer will be a main character in Brightest Day so I assume that's why he isn't present here.

Though he, and others, could always appear as guest members.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old April 5th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #9
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

...if Robinson's comments that this will stick for two years holds true, then it's revealing that Dick will remain on the team as Batman (I assume).

ddf
oddballuk View Post
Re: Batman, James had this to say.

"Dick Grayson will be Batman in the Justice League for the foreseeable future."

But I really don't think we ought to read into that too much yet. That was the safe comment to go with. All we can really do at this point is wait and see how Grant's story unfolds. He's very often not been on the same page as his fellow writers over the last five years at DC.

Old April 5th, 2010   fallentaco is offline   #10
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

Thats like an Outsiders meets Titans lineup. Not to sure how I feel about them being THE JLA. But I love Jade and his comment about her being his new Jack Knight have me intrigued.

Also, really DC? Blowing up all major DC Cities? Wow...

Also? It has to be Amanda Conner on the opening Shade arc!

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old April 5th, 2010   HushedRuin is offline   #11
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I have no real connection to any of these characters save for Bats, but this sounds really cool. I can't explain why.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old April 5th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #12
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Also? It has to be Amanda Conner on the opening Shade arc!
ddf
fallentaco View Post
I just don't see Amanda tackling ANOTHER 12-issue monthly run right now. Speaking of her, though, here's a link to the Jimmy/Amanda panel talk: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25566

I have no real connection to any of these characters save for Bats, but this sounds really cool. I can't explain why.
ddf
HushedRuin View Post
I will admit to having a lot of connection to almost all of these characters, but the thing that really does it for me is how much thought has been put into this. Nothing seems haphazard, and even the things that are not first choices seem to have organic reasons behind them full of lots of story potential.

Old April 5th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #13
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Re: Batman, James had this to say.

"Dick Grayson will be Batman in the Justice League for the foreseeable future."

But I really don't think we ought to read into that too much yet. That was the safe comment to go with. All we can really do at this point is wait and see how Grant's story unfolds. He's very often not been on the same page as his fellow writers over the last five years at DC.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
Very true!

- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old April 5th, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #14
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I'll pass on this, thanks.....

But am happy for those who are excited about it....

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old April 5th, 2010   fallentaco is offline   #15
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

I just don't see Amanda tackling ANOTHER 12-issue monthly run right now. Speaking of her, though, here's a link to the Jimmy/Amanda panel talk: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=25566
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
In an earlier interview James said the series would take a page from Batman & Robin and alternate artists every arc. So 3 issues and it wont start for at least 4 months I would guess.

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old April 5th, 2010   General grievous is offline   #16
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

I am lukewarm to this lineup so far. I'll be getting JLA in trades from here on out so I'll see then if the stories are good and If the characters keep my interest.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"