The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 2nd, 2007   Mark MacMillan is offline   #1
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Default My theories on DC's future: The Aftermath of WWIII/end of 52/start of OYL/Countdown

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/WWIII...aserimage.html

Let's take all the evidence that we know so far from IC, 52, OYL, and other sources before we closely analyze this picture.

First off, I think this picture is for the aftermath of WWIII/the end of 52 and the beginning of OYL/Countdown.

Didio also said,
there were several inspirations for the piece and each character was chosen because of their importance to upcoming storylines in the DC Universe. This is not about one book or one story but about the major events that will unfold throughout the year.
ddf
Didio
He also says,
Events reflected in this picture will play throughout the year/OYL and hopefully things will make sense enough so that you can connect the dots as they occur.
ddf
Didio
Because DC's only planted a few hints that the Multiverse still exists OYL (in the coded message, Flash: FMA #6, Ion #10, etc) I think that DC's waiting 'til the end of Countdown to return the Multiverse with a bang (remember Didio said there will be a huge event in 2008).

We also have to remember that 52 is meant to establish only some of the New Earth changes that resulted from IC and what happened during the missing year. That includes one of the the big secrets surrounding New Earth OYL. That's it.

So not everything is going to be resolved by the end of 52.

So, I believe the aftermath of WWIII and the end of 52 is only going to setup New Earth OYL so it can lead directly into DC's next event Countdown (which is supposed to be a weekly series counting down from the beginning of OYL at 51 through the weeks of OYL to zero, and probably to the event that's going to officially bring back the Multiverse).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

Now let's get to the picture.

I always believed there was lots of symbolism in this picture (read my previous posts on this topic) and Didio confirms that here... http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=99665

some of these images are literal and some are symbolic...
ddf
Didio
He also says everyone pictured is,
they from the same Earth.
ddf
Didio
So, here are my theories on how that could be, and what everything in this picture might possibly represent for DC's future...

Since, the Kingdom Come Earth was one of the Earths that Alex Luthor mixed in with the post-CoIE Earth that resulted in the creation of New Earth at the end of IC #6 before he was finished creating his "perfect" Earth (which is why KC characters like Offspring, Zatara, Miss Martian, Starman, etc. are part of the New Earth timeline).

So, I believe that might explain the emergence of Red Robin (whoever it might be...)

When it comes to Batman,
Q:What is up with Batman in that picture and why does he have a sword? Is that Bruce Wayne from the same Earth that Batman and Detective are set on?

DD: The image is symbolic in natural and it is indeed the Batman you are reading now. As for the sword, it’s not the first time he used one.
ddf
Interviewer and Didio
Now, we know Batman has been on a journey of self discovery in the Middle East during 52/the missing year.

Now if you look at the high res picture of Batman here you'll notice that Bats is wearing sandbagger pants, a cloak that can be pulled up to cover his mouth during sandstorms, and he's wielding a schimtar (an Arabian sword).

After practically spending a year in the dessert, it only makes sense that he'd adapt his costume to suit his environment.

And just because Bruce returned to Gotham in his regular costume, doesn't necessarily mean he didn't help fight the 4 Horsemen of Apokolips in that dessert costume during WWIII before he returned to Gotham OYL.

We know that some Bat-Elseworlds have been worked into continuity/the New Earth timeline (like the Ten-eyed Man and Batman's illegitimate son Damien) by Grant Morrison in both 52 and Batman respectively.

And we also know Bruce is retracing the original steps he took in order to become Batman according to the New Earth timeline.

That has me thinking that GM might be working Batman Annual #7 (or at least parts of it) into official New Earth Bat-continuity as here well.

So that might explain the Bat-Sultan get-up.

We know Bart returns all alone after spending 4 years containing SBP (IC #5? and 52 #1) on another Earth (Flash: FMA #6) with Barry's costume (IC #5? and Flash: FMA #6) which allows him to control the Speed Force OYL.

It was S.T.A.R. Labs that altered Barry's costume to look more like Wally's OYL.

And since Bart's life has gone through so many changes, that would definitely explain the look of uncertainty the on the Flash's face in this picture.

Now I could be wrong but, I don't think Kyle's wearing a yellow ring and the Flash's eyes are meant to be blue in this picture. I just think they're coloring mistakes (like the way Blue Beetle's belt buckle and Kyle's Ion chest symbol are miscolored).

Besides, it's not like DC hasn't put out a rushed promotional piece before... (thank gob Moose posts here at the 'Bloc).

If the "yellow glow" around Kyle is meant to be there, I think it represents Nero's posing as him OYL.

Anyway, considering that Kyle and Donna are tied into the Monitors and Multiverse somehow OYL that explains why they are "looking to the skies..."

I also believe Donna wearing her old Wonder-costume is symbolic of her place in the Wonder legacy and how she assumes the WW mantle during WWIII through the beginning of OYL.

Didio does say,
Q: Why is Donna in her Wonder Girl uniform?

DD: The color is important key to her future and her allegiance.
ddf
Didio
In the last few issues of 52, we saw a glimpse of regret from Ollie after Dinah leaves for Asia to undergo Shiva's training (following her own path).

I believe that scene alluded to Ollie realizing for the first time Dinah can live without him, but deep down he can't live without her (probably planting the seed that eventually leads to their rumoured reconciliation and marriage in the future).

So that might explain the look Ollie's giving Dinah while she's looking off in her own different direction.

We've seen Barda OYL without Scott, and the way he's looking saddened in this picture, I believe the deaths of his close friends Ted and Max (who he is directly looking at in this picture) results in Scott leaving Earth and his past there behind him for good OYL (in order to "escape" his feelings about it).

So I think this might explain Scott's absence OYL while also being a hint about the future plans DC has for the New Gods

I believe the Legion flight ring being amongst the dead bodies is supposed to signify the "death" of the Booster Gold persona and the beginning of Michael's new career as Supernova OYL.

I also have a feeling that it represents the Legion continuity mess and Waid's plans for the Legion's future (especially after this quote from Didio...)
Q: Whose flight ring is on the ground?

DD: A Legionnaire’s, of course.
ddf
Didio
The reason I think this is because Waid's such an encyclopedia of DCU history that I believe he might be using Booster's time displaced Legion ring (which never had an explanation as to how it could be in a museum 500 years before it's time) and a Thom Kalor Starman, who has been catapulted throughout time, space, and Alex Luthor's unfolding of the Multiverse/KC Earth, (only to end up crazy because of it in our time period with the JSA) to help establish whatever he eventually has planned for Legion continuity and their future.

I also think the Atom being amongst the dead is symbolic of the end of Ray Palmer's career as the Atom.

I think Mary Marvel's presence most likely represents her accident OYL (because she was wearing her white costume when it happened) and her staring off into the distance most likely represents her uncertain future (will she get her powers back? Will she even recover fully from her injuries?).

Didio did say,
These pictures reflect events yet to come, so it sounds to me like there is a story with Mary that is about to be told.
ddf
Didio
When it comes to Supes and Wondy, I believe their presence in this picture is symbolic of how powerless/helpless they are during the missing year/52/WWIII (besides, it's not like DC would release a promotional piece featuring Diana Prince and Clark Kent) .

Most average people probably wouldn't recognize them as Diana Prince and Clark Kent.

I know the average person doesn't usually read comics, but that doesn't stop DC's marketing department from trying to reach every type of consumer they possibly can.

I think we can all agree Supes and Wondy are two of DC's most publicly known characters, right?

And we know The Question dying is a big part of 52/the missing year.

I used to think think that was the P-Zone projector on the ground, but it could also be the Gizmoid from Apokolips featured in Hawkgirl #60 or whatever fell from the sky during the missing year/52 (as stated by both Veronica Cale and Peacemaker in both 52 #29 and Blue Beetle #9).

The quote from the Bible that came with the picture leads me to believe that a great disaster is going to caused by the 4 Horsemen of Apokolips (who were created using through the text of the Crime Bible) during WWIII ("Let a great battle cry be heard throughout the land...").

It might also have something to do with Black Adam's future.

This is what I believe leads into the beginning of OYL/Countdown.

Also, after reading Ion #10, I think that New Earth might be unstable, and in order for it to continue existing in some compacity, it has to eventually unfold and merge with the Multiverse that still exists.
Last edited by Mark MacMillan; February 2nd, 2007 at 02:58 PM.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 2nd, 2007   Matthew E is offline   #2
Matthew E
Neo Geoffan

I'm wondering if maybe there's going to be a parallel Earth out there that needs superheroes, and some of them are going to travel there from the regular DC-Earth and set up shop there permanently. Characters I have in mind for this are:

Nightwing, or maybe Jason Todd
Wally West, who may be there already
Ray Palmer, who may be there already
Donna Troy
Connor Hawke
Kyle Rayner
Supergirl
some Aquacharacter

Basically, all the characters who DC doesn't know what to do with, but who are too prominent not to do something with them.

Legion Abstract: Legion of Super-Heroes analysis and commentary
Old February 2nd, 2007   Bizarro #98 is offline   #3
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

So, I believe the aftermath of WWIII and the end of 52 is only going to setup New Earth OYL so it can lead directly into DC's next event Countdown (which is supposed to be a weekly series counting down from the beginning of OYL at 51 through the weeks of OYL to zero, and probably to the event that's going to officially bring back the Multiverse).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Uh, the link you provided says that Countdown will run alongside current DC Continuity, not DC Continuity from ten months ago. Countdown may "reverse" 52's numbering, but that doesn't mean it's story starts the week after 52 ends or that it's in real time like 52 is.

It would be a big disappointment if so many of the "big hints for 2007" from the Statue of Liberty picture were just hinting at OYL events that have already happened (i.e. Nero posing as Kyle, Donna becoming Wonder Woman, Superman being powerless, Bart being Flash, etc).

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 2nd, 2007   Mark MacMillan is offline   #4
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Uh, the link you provided says that Countdown will run alongside current DC Continuity, not DC Continuity from ten months ago. Countdown may "reverse" 52's numbering, but that doesn't mean it's story starts the week after 52 ends or that it's in real time like 52 is.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Sorry. I guess I misinterpreted. But that doesn't change the fact that current continuity is set OYL.

It would be a big disappointment if so many of the "big hints for 2007" from the Statue of Liberty picture were just hinting at OYL events that have already happened (i.e. Nero posing as Kyle, Donna becoming Wonder Woman, Superman being powerless, Bart being Flash, etc).
ddf
Actually pretty much everything hints at the aftermath of WWIII, the end of 52, some of the reasons why things are the way they are OYL, what other changes occurred because of IC, while also giving us other possible hints about the future.

That's all stuff I'm dying to know personally.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 2nd, 2007   starks is offline   #5
starks
Geoffan

I think the parallel Earth will be the WildStorm universe and we'll see a number of characters from the DCU making a jump to it.

Old February 3rd, 2007   Holiday is offline   #6
Holiday
White Pawn

Mark, you did a fantastic job breaking down everything. My head is still spinning from all the new paths that came about after reading this. I need to think and come back to post a response.

Old February 3rd, 2007   velocity119 is offline   #7
velocity119

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/WWIII...aserimage.html

...I believe the Legion flight ring being amongst the dead bodies is supposed to signify the "death" of the Booster Gold persona and the beginning of Michael's new career as Supernova OYL.

I also have a feeling that it represents the Legion continuity mess and Waid's plans for the Legion's future (especially after this quote from Didio...)

The reason I think this is because Waid's such an encyclopedia of DCU history that I believe he might be using Booster's time displaced Legion ring (which never had an explanation as to how it could be in a museum 500 years before it's time) and a Thom Kalor Starman, who has been catapulted throughout time, space, and Alex Luthor's unfolding of the Multiverse/KC Earth, (only to end up crazy because of it in our time period with the JSA) to help establish whatever he eventually has planned for Legion continuity and their future...
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Booster's Legion flight ring being in the museum was explained in his own series with his origin (around issue #8?). IIRC, Brainy, Ultra Boy, and I think Chameleon Boy came back in time to investigate Booster possessing a flight ring, and one of their rings (Brainy's I think), left behind in the 20th C became the ring that Booster stole in his own timeline and brought back to the 20th C. Of course, this was pre-Zero Hour. I think Booster's ring was retconned out of existence post-Zero Hour and only recently reintroduced. You're right that the ring hasn't had a new origin to synch up with the newest rebooted/reimagined Legion, but it did have a perfectly fine one within the first year of Booster's introduction.

Old February 4th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #8
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

So the ring is now a bone of chronal contention...

Grem-

Old February 4th, 2007   the prankster is offline   #9
the prankster
Geoffan

Mon'el's legion flight ring perhaps? He is set to return in the Action Comics annual and hes already back in the legion book

You have just been pranked!!!
Old February 4th, 2007   Dugan is offline   #10
Dugan

So the ring is now a bone of chronal contention...
ddf
Well, it could be Supergirl's, once she returns from the 31st Century.
Or, if you want to give yourself a headache, it could be a chronal loop, where he finds his own ring that was in the past because he took it there

Old February 4th, 2007   Ed Garland is offline   #11
Ed Garland

I'm spoiling Infinite Crisis in this post. I'm not using invisotext because it's at least a year old. That said; Fair Warning:

I'm probably wrong, but this is the way I first interpreted the ring:
Superboy (Conner) was at least an honorary member of the LSH.
Original Superboy was, in fact, a member.
Legally, DC cannot mention Superboy due to the Siegel lawsuit.
Conner (Connor?) did die during Infinite Crisis.
All the people on the floor died during the past few events.
So , Superboy is represented by the flight ring with actual name mentioned.

Best,
Ed

Saving the world, one student at a time.
Old February 4th, 2007   Pivitor is offline   #12
Pivitor
Geoffan

Legally, DC cannot mention Superboy due to the Siegel lawsuit.
ddf
Ed Garland View Post
Wow, this misinformation is still going on?

They mention Superboy all the time--been reading Teen Titans OYL?

The lawsuit only prevents them from using Superboy when SUPERBOY IS CLARK KENT AS A CHILD. Any other interpretation of Superboy, clone or otherwise, is fine!

IDK why they killed Conner, as it wasn't the lawsuit and Geoff fought like hell against it, but that's not why.

Old February 4th, 2007   Patrick Gerard is offline   #13
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Booster's Legion flight ring being in the museum was explained in his own series with his origin (around issue #8?). IIRC, Brainy, Ultra Boy, and I think Chameleon Boy came back in time to investigate Booster possessing a flight ring, and one of their rings (Brainy's I think), left behind in the 20th C became the ring that Booster stole in his own timeline and brought back to the 20th C. Of course, this was pre-Zero Hour. I think Booster's ring was retconned out of existence post-Zero Hour and only recently reintroduced. You're right that the ring hasn't had a new origin to synch up with the newest rebooted/reimagined Legion, but it did have a perfectly fine one within the first year of Booster's introduction.
ddf
velocity119 View Post
Actually, post-ZH, Booster's ring was ostensibly either Inferno's or from a pocket universe. Inferno stayed behind with a ring in the post-Boot Legion.

Old February 4th, 2007   Patrick Gerard is offline   #14
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Wow, this misinformation is still going on?

They mention Superboy all the time--been reading Teen Titans OYL?

The lawsuit only prevents them from using Superboy when SUPERBOY IS CLARK KENT AS A CHILD. Any other interpretation of Superboy, clone or otherwise, is fine!

IDK why they killed Conner, as it wasn't the lawsuit and Geoff fought like hell against it, but that's not why.
ddf
Pivitor View Post
That's REALLY up in the air.

The lawsuit may extend as far as any young Clark Kent story (with or without costume), use of Smallville and possibly any use of the name Superboy.

Old February 6th, 2007   Ed Garland is offline   #15
Ed Garland

That's REALLY up in the air.

The lawsuit may extend as far as any young Clark Kent story (with or without costume), use of Smallville and possibly any use of the name Superboy.
ddf
Patrick Gerard View Post
Thank you, Patrick.
That's the way I interpreted it from the Newsarama article a few months back (sorry, no link).
Perhaps "Comic Should Be Good" could clear this up in a future "Urban Legends" article.
If anyone can officially clear it up, that would be great.
Best,

Ed

ps changed avatar. got bored.
Last edited by Ed Garland; February 6th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.

Saving the world, one student at a time.
Old February 7th, 2007   starks is offline   #16
starks
Geoffan

And the ring represents Conner, because Deathstroke took his body for Match, hence no body in the image.