The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 17th, 2013   Penny Dreadful is offline   #97
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Not according to some folks here. It's always the sky is falling for them, while the numbers prove otherwise.
ddf
starks View Post
The market is rebounding from the economic slump. It's just that the inspiring and innovative comics are coming from indies and occasionally, Marvel.

Check out the recent Eisner nominees. Lots and lots of indie books, quite a few Marvel titles...and exactly three nominations for DC books.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old April 17th, 2013   Penny Dreadful is offline   #98
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

Not only that, but if you look at the befor relaunch/after relaunch, dc had a little over double the books it does in the top 10 and 20. I would say that while they might have higher numbers for those top ten or twenty placing books, overall the relaunch hurt them bad.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Yeah, but it's been great for other publishers, who've gained readers!

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old April 17th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #99
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Liefeld has made many comments about DC having "no middle". I see what he's saying, because their top sellers do well, and then the rest of the line falls way down the list. Marvel has a lot more more mid-level titles in terms of sales.

And I realize this is a discussion about DC, but market share in comics is pretty much DC vs. Marvel and then everybody else picking off a few percent here and there (unfortunately).

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 17th, 2013   John Casey is offline   #100
John Casey
Geoffan

DC's biggest problems are:

1) Micromanagement of creators whose initials are not GJ. Too many creators have left DC due to internal conflict

2) Events ( after the swore with the nu52 that they are shying away from that type of storytelling ).

3) Creating an effect of TV seasons in the Comicbook industry.

If a book does not do the numbers that management expects it is canceled within 8-16 issues to be replaced by a new wave of books.

Old April 17th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #101
jafabian

but market share in comics is pretty much DC vs. Marvel and then everybody else picking off a few percent here and there (unfortunately).
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post

I've always wondered why that is and how that can change. There's good books out there not done by DC and Marvel.

Old April 17th, 2013   Bizarro #98 is offline   #102
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

Sorry, what you're describing there would be the most boring (real world, yes) line of comics EVER.

Yeah, maaaaaan, they're tools of the man, maaaaaan. Occupy DC!

Without that corporate backing, DC could very well be a memory. But, of course, who cares about that?

The evil corporation keeps their lights on.

DOWN WITH THE MOUSE! EVIL RODENT!
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but... TJ for mod.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old April 17th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #103
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I wouldn't hold up the March figures as proof that the reboot has failed.
ddf
Alan View Post
I compared the December before the reboot to last December. Seemed like a more even comparison to me.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 17th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #104
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Yeah, but it's been great for other publishers, who've gained readers!
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Yea, I've read more Image and Darkhorse since the reboot actually. Before the reboot i was getting something like 15 DC titles and like 1 or 2 Marvel and 3 indie, i'm now at 6 DC, 8 Marvel, 6 indies

Old April 17th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #105
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

I would argue that it would just be a bit confusing having multiple titles with the same name but different groups. For instance, fans of the silver age JLA would want that book to be JLA, while the fans of grown up Titans in JLA would want the book to be JLA as well. Having said that, I think the New 52 approach of JL vs JLA is a smart one which could work, but I think there would still be a bit of confusion on the part of new fans.

A silver age Teen Titans vs a modern age Young Justice would confuse anyone who casually approached it and saw robin in both groups or two kid flashes (sorry, impulse and kid flash) etc etc etc.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
See, I never agree with this argument. As a child of 4 or 5 reading comics, the whole multiple earth, duplicate yet different characters by the same name didn't confuse me at all. I simply thought it was cool as heck. Hell, I wanted to know MORE about these older characters. This was part of what set DC apart for me. They had backstory. There was an endless well of stories for me to seek out and explore. Of course editors and writers would give you a little blurb then to explain anything that might be confusing... to complicated a concept these days I suppose. *rolls eyes*

"Something profound" - Me
Old April 17th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #106
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

I'd love to see a return to pre-Crisis DC... but it would most likely be a logistical mess to do so.

I like the "ignore continuity for the most part" approach, AKA the "All-Star" approach. Which, in a way, is similar to the pre-Crisis model.
Most titles were self-contained. Yes, Action & Superman were coordinated, and Batman & 'Tec even carried stories back and forth for a while pre-Crisis. JLA would acknowledge really un-ignorable events in the members' solo books (like Mod-WW or GA waking up as a goateed leftist one day). But mostly, continuity was pretty loose. Story lines from Brave & The Bold or DC Comics Presents were rarely acknowledged in the Superman or Batman books. They were normally not even acknowledged in any important way in the books of the characters that teamed up with Superman or Batman, assuming those characters had their own titles... most didn't.

I think DC needs to establish a strong status quo for their major characters (like Superman & Batman pre-Crisis, for example... things happened, changes occurred here and there (Clark becomes a TV reporter for WGBS, Bruce moves into the Wayne Building when Dick goes to college), but at the end of the day they were still the same basic characters with the same core supporting cast(s).

Anyway, with established boundaries (Superman isn't transgender, Batman doesn't use an AK-47) let creators come along, do their thing, and then, when their story is done, they leave the book and the next batch of creators come along and do their thing. As long as editorial doesn't let them break the toys beyond repair, things will be fine.

Like JLA: So what if Superman turns into electric-blue-bugaloo Superman for 6 months in his own titles? JLA doesn't need to reflect that. Everyone knows it's a temporary change, so why disrupt JLA over it?

I'm just so very tired of massive crossovers... If there's going to be a big event featuring lots and lots of DC characters, great... just keep it self-contained. That way I can choose to read about it or not. The intrusive tie-ins in the regular monthlies are all-too-often shoehorned-in and disruptive to the ongoing series. Enough.

I loved DC's continuity, but the more they tried to streamline or fix it, the more damage seemed to be done, the more it seemed to tie down what the writers and artists could do. Focus on quality stories featuring recognizable versions of the characters that people want to read about. Don't force me to have to keep up with an ever-morphing history; if a former DC nerd like me was already getting worn out by the constant changes prior to FP, then you've clearly screwed around with it too much!

That's what I think, anyway.

But yeah, part of me would love to wake up tomorrow and see DC reset to the pre-Crisis era. Multiple Earths were about as confusing as having multiple McDonalds in the same town. And the DCU was a much more fun and light-hearted place back then.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Agreed on all points.

"Something profound" - Me
Old April 17th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #107
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

See, I never agree with this argument. As a child of 4 or 5 reading comics, the whole multiple earth, duplicate yet different characters by the same name didn't confuse me at all. I simply thought it was cool as heck. Hell, I wanted to know MORE about these older characters. This was part of what set DC apart for me. They had backstory. There was an endless well of stories for me to seek out and explore. Of course editors and writers would give you a little blurb then to explain anything that might be confusing... to complicated a concept these days I suppose. *rolls eyes*
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
I agree, but I don't know how much of that a "casual reader" would embrace, and catering to the fans you already have is the first step to stagnation.

Old April 18th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #108
Amentep

A silver age Teen Titans vs a modern age Young Justice would confuse anyone who casually approached it and saw robin in both groups or two kid flashes (sorry, impulse and kid flash) etc etc etc.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't - by this theory - any reader be confused when they saw Batman in Detective, Batman, JLA, et al? You don't know you're dealing with "alternate" characters until you actually read the book.

And really if they let Impulse *be* Impulse, there'd be no way to confuse him with Kid Flash - totally different looks to go along with the different characters.

I'm also one of those who never was confused by alternate universe stuff; I may be biased but given that no one is complaining that Marvel is confusing with their alternate universe stories, I find it hard to buy that DC would struggle as well.

Old April 18th, 2013   flashsuper is offline   #109
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

Marvel has mutliple earths.
Marvel has a huge history.
Marvel has events.
Marvel has confusing spots at times.
BUT...Marvel keeps on going.

DC had the same.
Then tried fixing something that wasn't actually broken.

I have had a rebirth.
Old April 18th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #110
leonmallett
comics fan

Marvel has events.

DC had the same.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Arguably they tried fixing it, fixing it again, rolling back somewhat, fixing, rolling back somewhat again, and then fixing again.

Therein lies the root problem IMHO.

I may have missed the odd line-wide 'fix' or 'roll back'...

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old April 18th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #111
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Marvel has events.

DC had the same.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Arguably they tried fixing it, fixing it again, rolling back somewhat, fixing, rolling back somewhat again, and then fixing again.

Therein lies the root problem IMHO.

I may have missed the odd line-wide 'fix' or 'roll back'...
ddf
leonmallett View Post
<sigh> Does it really matter anymore at this point?

Isn't organizational stability and line wide quality the real problem?

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old April 18th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #112
Dr_Decipher

Marvel has events.

DC had the same.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
Yes. And I suspect that a big reason for all these "Crisis" reboots has largely been to re-write the Superman/Superboy mythos to a sufficient degree so that DC can make the legal claim that the "new" character is significantly different from anything the Siegel and Schuster families have rights to, so that the DC-Warner execs can keep even more of the company's money for themselves.

It seems to me that Priority One at DC has long been: Screw the Siegels and the Schusters at any cost.

It makes me wonder if DC also doesn't do all its endless continuity reboots in order to argue that all its "new" characters are different enough from what their original creators designed, in order to stave off ALL possible future lawsuits by ANY of its characters' original creators.

In other words, is the entire DC storyline mythos now existing for the sake of legal corporate wrangling? Is this the secret method behind all of DC's seeming madness?

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?