The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old October 3rd, 2011   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Captain Atom #1

Couldn't find a thread about this...

I thought the opening was pretty good (if a bit Dr. Manhatten / Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom) but about halfway through the story I stopped connecting with the book. Something I can't put my finger on just...didn't connect.

Art was good and I liked the opening enough to come back for #2, but it just felt a bit uneven for me.

Old October 4th, 2011   Green Guardsman is offline   #2
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

This character is not Captain Atom. This is one book where the DCnu has failed for me.

Old October 4th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

That could be said for a lot of characters these days.

Divorcing myself from the previous Cpt. Atom iterations though...it wasn't bad, IMO.

Old October 4th, 2011   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Couldn't find a thread about this...

I thought the opening was pretty good (if a bit Dr. Manhatten / Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom) but about halfway through the story I stopped connecting with the book. Something I can't put my finger on just...didn't connect.

Art was good and I liked the opening enough to come back for #2, but it just felt a bit uneven for me.
ddf
Amentep View Post
That's pretty much how I felt, too. Visually, I really dislike the flame-head thing, but I can get past that. For some reason the comic just fell flat about halfway through and by the end I really wasn't that interested. I guess for one thing, how many times have I seen Capt. Atom absorb too much energy? It's like that's all anyone thinks of to do with him anymore. I guess that cliffhanger might work for a new reader, but for me it was just "here we go again!"

I'm giving it one more issue before I decide if I'll stay with it. I want to like it.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old October 4th, 2011   5andman is offline   #5
5andman
Master Geoffan

It wasn't a bad issue, I wish the artist Freddie Williams used an alias though.

Being a fan of his work, I was a little disappointed in his 'evolved/new' style, using more blacks and a 'brushy' linework style -- which would work on a DC Edge book, rather than a Sci-Fi type book.

Old October 4th, 2011   Simon DelMonte is offline   #6
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

1. He's so far from being Captain Atom that I barely see the point in the new series calling itself that. I didn't really expect otherwise, but it's still disappointing.

2. I found it generic and overwritten. There wasn't anything here to hook me.

Simon DelMonte
Old October 4th, 2011   JRM is offline   #7
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

That could be said for a lot of characters these days.

Divorcing myself from the previous Cpt. Atom iterations though...it wasn't bad, IMO.
ddf
Amentep View Post
It was nice seeing a few of the characters from the Bates/Weisman run being used. Since that is my favorite use of the character - any move to make use of elements from that run is a good thing. Heck hopefully we can get rid of the silly Shaggy-man Eisling concept (sp.)

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old October 26th, 2011   leonmallett is offline   #8
leonmallett
comics fan

1. He's so far from being Captain Atom that I barely see the point in the new series calling itself that. I didn't really expect otherwise, but it's still disappointing.

2. I found it generic and overwritten. There wasn't anything here to hook me.
ddf
Simon DelMonte View Post
After 2 issues I strongly agree, so that is me done with this title.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old October 26th, 2011   Mark MacMillan is offline   #9
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I actually liked the first two issues. This is much closer to the Cap I liked from his original series than anything I've read in the last 20yrs.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old October 26th, 2011   flashsuper is offline   #10
flashsuper
My real name is Mike

After 2 issues I strongly agree, so that is me done with this title.
ddf
leonmallett View Post
I actually liked the first two issues. This is much closer to the Cap I liked from his original series than anything I've read in the last 20yrs.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
This is what's great. Two different people reading the same book and seeing two different things.

I have had a rebirth.
Old October 31st, 2011   leonmallett is offline   #11
leonmallett
comics fan

This is what's great. Two different people reading the same book and seeing two different things.
ddf
flashsuper View Post
It shows that DC are changing things up granted, but we each have different tolerances for specific individual changes.

This Captain Atom seems a mash-up of (post-CoIE) Captain Atom/Breach/the quantum Superman Adam of Superman Beyond/Dr Manhattan, yet to me seems less than the sum of the influential parts.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old November 1st, 2011   Amentep is offline   #12
Amentep

I kinda feel the mixed bag on this one.

I'm not ready to drop the title, but whereas I liked the first issue, I wasn't terribly enamored with the second and I think its because the "grab bag" hasn't quite gelled into its own thing yet.