The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old April 17th, 2015   1peace is offline   #1
1peace
Master Geoffan

Default DAREDEVIL NETFILIX...Oh YEah

We have another marvel winner.
Just finished watching the Daredevil Netflix season one on netflix.
I'm impressed WELL DONE. GodBless a America man. I clapped at the last episode.
I REALLY REALLY LIKE it
IMO it started a bit slowly but, like the comic, once your in there your hooked. the play between the real and fantastic works.

No spoilers below
very nice rendition of the the daredevil storyline not completely faithful to all the story or character but definitely captures the flavor of the Miller forward storylines. Gritty, down to earth, character driven, plenty of teasers for older fan boys like myself.

Foggy Nelson and their friendship is played outstandingly well.
Ben Urich Outstanding
KingPin is not quite comics KingPin but powerful and effective threatening SICK.
Karen Page is good, and as fan I'm always waiting for her to go over the cliff and the writers seem to play off that.
Rosario Dawson ..um yeah .. i think she was in the comics i read but .. yeah I'm glad shes there.
Rosario Dawson looks reall good.
A nurse character clair played by Rosiao Dawson in quite a few episodes well done.
Stick is ..good... not great but very good.
Vanessa... mmm hmmm.
TURK! is in there! not played to quite the degree as in comics this season but you get a taste of his role.
They touch on some other characters and make light ref to the avengers in ways that make sense.

the fight scenes are very good, the way he moves is nice! makes sense of rooftop parkour. But I feel he's a bit less effective in the fight scenes than he is in the comics. that did bug me a bit. especially against some thugs.

the costume.. well the black...suspension of disbelief comes in here. the making of the red it makes sense, and ...I've seen worse i guess.

Nice use of his powers, Personally I'd like that ramped up and rendered visually a bit more.. better. It's played more subtly.

I have things i could nit pick and overall that make me give up some of what i've loved about the comics but. the flavor is fully there and well rendered.

well done! and there's plenty left over to move forward. Frankly based on where they've taken the story Iron fist and Luke cage don't make sense for next up. but Electra, the Punisher, Bullseye, the Hand with Kirgi would be perfect. Other villains/characters i'd suggest are Hyde, Cobra, Gladiator, Palidin,

If they must bring in Iron fist and Cage then Purple Man would make sense.

Old April 17th, 2015   1peace is offline   #2
1peace
Master Geoffan

Another better tie-in to this Daredevil than Cage & Fist would be Cloak & Dagger.
But i must say they have made some solid ref to the Iron Fist storyline with one gangsters symbolism.

Old April 17th, 2015   darthlucifuge is offline   #3
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

One of the best things Marvel Studios has ever done and that includes movies.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 17th, 2015   RoseWilson is offline   #4
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I've only see the first 3 eps as I'm doing it as a once a week group viewing but I'm loving it so far. Massive Daredevil fan (as in comics/character) might well end up my fave live action marvel yet. Winter soldier edging out the first Iron man for the honor previously.

Old April 19th, 2015   1peace is offline   #5
1peace
Master Geoffan

One of the best things Marvel Studios has ever done and that includes movies.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
It certainly takes it to edge of where i as a long time comic fan have wanted to see TV & Film go. Well done multi-episode action-drama-sci-fi.

Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and Agent Carter need to take lessons here. Not to ape it but to make each show it's own. Daredevil has it's own tone.
Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. and Agent Carter are running off the fumes of the avengers/Thor/C.A. films and 1970's 007 films.
Plus DD had good base material with the Miller and later writers. ABC pulled A.o.S. and A.C. out of the air and hoped it'd stick.

Old April 19th, 2015   1peace is offline   #6
1peace
Master Geoffan

I've only see the first 3 eps as I'm doing it as a once a week group viewing but I'm loving it so far. Massive Daredevil fan (as in comics/character) might well end up my fave live action marvel yet. Winter soldier edging out the first Iron man for the honor previously.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
Episodes even get better as they go along. For a while there i didn't want to watch the next episodes becasue it looked like DD and crew were just walking into a buzz saw.

my top list goes:
Winter Soldier
Avengers
Iron Man 1
Iron man 2
After that I liked both Hulks (though i may be the only 1 who did)
Thor Dark World

I'd put this 1st season Daredevil TV among the top 3 above.

Old April 19th, 2015   Alan is offline   #7
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Saw the first two today. Brilliantl!

Really impressed. Looking forward to seeing the rest asap.

Old April 20th, 2015   manwithnoname is offline   #8
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Have yet to watch, but I will.

Old April 20th, 2015   1peace is offline   #9
1peace
Master Geoffan

my top list goes:
Winter Soldier
Avengers
Iron Man 1
Iron man 2
After that I liked both Hulks (though i may be the only 1 who did)
Thor Dark World

I'd put this 1st season Daredevil TV among the top 3 above.
ddf
1peace View Post
Have to revise this list I left out the a lot of films

My tops would still hold
Winter Soldier
Avengers
Daredevil (season1)
Iron Man 1
Iron man 2
X-men 2
X-men 1
Hulks
Thor Dark World
Spiderman 2
Thor 1
Spiderman 1 (i'm not a spiderman fan in general so )
All the other X-stuff and Spider stuff
Agents of Shield
Fantastic 4 films
Agent Carter
Punisher Films

(there a ton of work there)

Old April 21st, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #10
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Have to revise this list I left out the a lot of films

My tops would still hold
Winter Soldier
Avengers
Daredevil (season1)
Iron Man 1
Iron man 2
X-men 2
X-men 1
Hulks
Thor Dark World
Spiderman 2
Thor 1
Spiderman 1 (i'm not a spiderman fan in general so )
All the other X-stuff and Spider stuff
Agents of Shield
Fantastic 4 films
Agent Carter
Punisher Films

(there a ton of work there)
ddf
1peace View Post
You left out the First Avenger and Guardians? I'd put that as number one. Daredevil so far is better than the Iron Mans, Hulks and Thors, but the Avengers wowed me because they pulled it off and the Cap movies floored me because to me, he's a tough character to pull off without being stupid (same with Guardians).

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 22nd, 2015   manwithnoname is offline   #11
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I liked both Hulk movies for various reasons.

Old April 22nd, 2015   1peace is offline   #12
1peace
Master Geoffan

You left out the First Avenger and Guardians? I'd put that as number one. Daredevil so far is better than the Iron Mans, Hulks and Thors, but the Avengers wowed me because they pulled it off and the Cap movies floored me because to me, he's a tough character to pull off without being stupid (same with Guardians).
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
DOH!
yep First Avenger and Guardians
1st avenger below hulk for me, Guardians after IronMans ,
I really liked guardians ..for what it was... but it's so far off on all the charaters to me that it's left me with a funtime but unsatisfied. (I love Gomorrah and Drax of the comics, and the collector is just sad)

I knew they could Do Cap if they LIKED the character. People are generally so cynical that a real good guy is hard for some to imagine.
I can't figure out why they can't pull off a Good punnisher movie. that should be a no brainier. maybe that's the problem. He's to much of the classic revenge movie trope.

Old April 22nd, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #13
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I liked both Hulk movies for various reasons.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
I liked the first Hulk only because you know...."hey, look! That's actually kinda the Hulk!" even if I had to wade through 45 minutes of Dr. Phil to get there. And then....he fought a cloud, a pond and one of the rock monsters they wanted to use in Star Trek V. So, you know....it left me cold. The Norton film was SO much better, iMO.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 22nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

^If we were still doing quote of the week, that'd get my vote. Laughed out loud (something that happens less often than typing "lol" happens).

Old April 22nd, 2015   Jake1823 is offline   #15
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

The side stories are a little meandering, but I'm a big fan. Honestly, I prefer this to the movies and the DC shows (Arrow's fallen off a cliff since the break).

Where is everybody?
Old April 23rd, 2015   manwithnoname is offline   #16
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I liked the first Hulk only because you know...."hey, look! That's actually kinda the Hulk!" even if I had to wade through 45 minutes of Dr. Phil to get there. And then....he fought a cloud, a pond and one of the rock monsters they wanted to use in Star Trek V. So, you know....it left me cold. The Norton film was SO much better, iMO.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I agree both movies have flaws.