The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 15th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #321
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Justice League #24: The League's interaction with Mera made for better reading than I expected. Having Mera be a presence in the JL might not be a bad idea, considering she's the only other superheroine showing up in the JL movie. I thought she held her own here pretty well.

Nightwing #24: The highlight of the issue was seeing Dick hold his own against all the meta villains. After last issue's cliffhanger, I was sure they were going to beat the %[email protected]# out of him!

Batman #26: War of Jokes and Riddles 2. Not a bad installment, although pretty talky. Still the art gave all the jibber jabber some good energy. Also, is Bruce going to be in his Bat-undies with Selena the entire arc? (lol).

Green Lanterns #26: The First Ring. Really liked this issue and the backstory of Volthoom. While Simon and Jessica were absent the entire issue, at least Volthoom ties in with the much-ignored first ring of Jessica's. This book is hitting on all cylinders lately.

Green Arrow #26: Hard Travelling Hero part One. I was afraid Ollie's road trip was going to play out like the horrific year-long "Superman's Walk Across America" (my God I thought that story would never end!) Not so. Pulling in the Flash and the ongoing Ninth Circle angle made for great reading. Also, glad to see Dinah and Emi haven't left the story, even if they're not with him.

Titans #13: Still my favorite book. Somehow this title is doing what the pre-52 Titans title never did...adding energy and newness to the original 5. While the romance thing was a bit soapy, the love Abnett is giving to Lillith, Mal, Karen, and (yes) Gnaark...and making them relevant again...makes my heart sing. Hoping Lillith really ISN'T the traitor, and loved Gnaark's new look. Not sure if the "Hunter" is his new moniker, but it's sure more marketable than Gnaark! Also curious about what this new power of Wally's is...I don't hate it. Not sure what to make of the Garth/Lillith romance, but then again considering Tula has been alive in the pages of Aquaman for 6 years now and Garth has never even swam past her, I guess a new romance is fair game.

Dark Days: The Casting #1: As a former Hawkman fan, I continue to be fascinated by the backstory we're getting on Hawkman and Hawkwoman. Clearly this ISN'T the nu52 Hawkman (good riddance), since he wasn't the reincarnation variety and never had Shayera by his side. I guess that means the Death of Hawkman mini isn't in continuity, but considering nobody bought it I guess there's no loss. Hoping we'll see the return of Carter AND Shay in the pages of Metal. Rebirth Carter appeared to go to his doom here (differently than nu Carter did), but no body no death I say.
Secondly, really curious about the teaser regarding Batman's real father...could mean Bruce's bio father but could also mean Batman's figurative father. Duke's market value also got a big boost here as a non-Robin.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old July 19th, 2017   starks is offline   #322
starks
Geoffan

Action Comics #983: Zod has plans, which we’ll find out at some point. Storyline is moving along.

Detective Comics #960: Batman is with Zatanna, as we learn more about Ascalon & Azrael. This is great stuff. Tynion is knocking it out of the park, and I wish he was on the Batwoman title.

Suicide Squad #21: Harley is leading a mission to destroy The People, while Waller faces Congress & then Direktor Karla himself. Oh no…Cosmonut! Decent issue.

Hal Jordan/GLC #24: The things going on with Tomar-Tu & Soranik confronting Kyle…wow! Amazing. Venditti is knocking this out of the park too.

JLA #10: Ray’s adopted home’s residents are getting wishes granted. Okay issue. Ray’s disdain for Batman is a bit over the top though.

Old July 19th, 2017   starks is offline   #323
starks
Geoffan

Justice League #24: The League's interaction with Mera made for better reading than I expected. Having Mera be a presence in the JL might not be a bad idea, considering she's the only other superheroine showing up in the JL movie. I thought she held her own here pretty well.
ddf
She actually makes for a better power set than what Aquaman has to offer, if you think about it. Her manipulation of water can be used anywhere, on land or sea.

Old July 19th, 2017   starks is offline   #324
starks
Geoffan

Batman #26: War of Jokes and Riddles 2. Not a bad installment, although pretty talky. Still the art gave all the jibber jabber some good energy. Also, is Bruce going to be in his Bat-undies with Selena the entire arc? (lol).
ddf
Well, the storyline itself is a flashback, so he wouldn't need to leave the room in telling it.

Old July 19th, 2017   Matches is offline   #325
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Check the art again. There are no Bat-undies.

Loving this story but here's my question: Why doesn't Catwoman already know all about the War? She was active in Gotham during that time but she's conspicuously absent from all the flashbacks. Is this just a narrative device IOW Bruce needs someone to tell the story to, or is her absence a plot point? I guess we'll see.

Kite-Man!

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old July 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #326
[email protected]

Check the art again. There are no Bat-undies.

Loving this story but here's my question: Why doesn't Catwoman already know all about the War? She was active in Gotham during that time but she's conspicuously absent from all the flashbacks. Is this just a narrative device IOW Bruce needs someone to tell the story to, or is her absence a plot point? I guess we'll see.

Kite-Man!
ddf
Matches View Post
Ha, so the shadowy effect means he's Bat-Commando? Lol!

Also, I had noticed too that Selena hasn't appeared in any of the extensive flashback stories...maybe they're trying to keep her backstory separate so it doesn't get stepped on by accident?

Old July 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #327
[email protected]

She actually makes for a better power set than what Aquaman has to offer, if you think about it. Her manipulation of water can be used anywhere, on land or sea.
ddf
starks View Post
Good point. Given that Arthur's power set is duplicated across WW and Supes (minus the fish-talking), Mera brings something unique to the table. Also Mera doesn't require being in the water to be at her most powerful. (Although an Ocean doesn't hurt).

Old July 22nd, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #328
[email protected]

Wonder Woman #26 :This was a hard read because it was the first non-Rucka issue. It didn't have the gravitas of the last year+, and the cartoony art definitely made it fell like light reading. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. The Etta Candy inclusion did help, and did laugh at Etta's one-liner to Diana about lightening up at her brother's wedding reception ("it's not a military operation").

Suicide Squad #21: I'm an irregular reader of this book, but I will say a lot happened this issue. Enjoyed Waller lying on the stand, and curious about that gunshot to Croc's head...

Flash #26: Running Scared. After being stuck in idle for quite some time, the book is finally picking up. I was eating up the flash-forward intro with older Barry/Iris battling their kids the Tornado Twins with a spoon. The battle in the Flash museum of the future with younger Barry/Iris was also great. Eobard hasn't been this scary in forever. I'm all in on this arc!

Hal Jordan/GLC #24: Really picked up some momentum on the story with the "green" murder of a Sinestro Corps member. The Soranik/Kyle story is also getting interesting.

JLA #10: Curse of the Kingbutcher (One). Okay issue. Wish I was liking this run better. I really like Ray as a character, and enjoyed the cliffhanger so maybe I'll enjoy the story more once it gets rolling. Really liked the art, it had kind of a noir feel. Orlando is finally finding some character moments between the characters, so that's encouraging.

Detective #960: Another Azrael issue. Meh. Didn't like him then, and nothing is changing my mind now. Every time I see "The Order of St. Dumas" I feel like I'm supposed to reel with anticipation except all I see is the Order of Saint Dumbass. Lol. Different strokes I guess. I am enjoying the Batman/Zee flashbacks, young Zee isn't something I recall seeing ever, so kind of fun. I just wish all the young/innocent likeable characters hadn't been shunted out of the book. It's lost it's heart.

Batgirl & the BOP #12: The inclusion of Catwoman has definitely given the book some much needed energy. Not super excited about Ivy joining, but the current events with Selena in other books make her a good shades-of-grey addition here. The writers also seem to be finding the voices better for the core trio.

Superwoman #12: Rediscovery. Still hoping to find out not only why Lana got her powers back, but how she has them in the first place (since Kal never died to give them to her). Another issue of a character I want to like, but need to be able to understand. Also love the inclusion of George Taylor and the Daily Star...the ongoing nod to the golden age Supes...has there ever been an interesting tale told about Taylor? (Could be fun).

Action #983: Great issue with the Revenge Squad vs. the Superman Squad. I can't recall Kal going up against Zod since the dawn of the nu52. The destruction of Lana & Jon's ship was...concerning, but I suspect we haven't seen the last of them. Also, after 6 years I think I'm finally used to the lack of red trunks visually. Big blue doesn't look a blueberry with a cape anymore.

Supergirl #11: Escape From the Phantom Zone Finale. Glad to see Kara back on Earth. Best part of the arc was the Batgirl/Supergirl partnership, and establishing Ben as an important supporting player. The cliffhanger was also good, with some promise of Emerald Empress as an adversary.

Cyborg #14: Singularity Aftermath. Didn't seem like an aftermath since the story was still in full swing, but um, ok, liked it. Including Gar was a long overdue touch. Also relieved to find out the kid's name (Exxy) since he seemed to just always be the kid who was around with not much explanation. The art continues to be great and starting to warm up to the supporting cast.

Aquaman #26 : Underworld...continues to be a great arc. The cover was a bit misleading since Mera was barely in it, but still a good installment. Also liking the reintroduction of Dolphin who I didn't care for much back in the old days (always seemed to play the victim role w/o any unique powers of her own). This is shaping up to be a very memorable Aquaman story. Oh, and still digging the art.

Old July 25th, 2017   starks is offline   #329
starks
Geoffan

Supergirl #11: Saw this on the shelf, liked the cover, so I picked it up. The story was boring. This title needs a new creative team.

Superman #27: The Kents go on a road trip. Fine for what it was, but this title needs to go back to the superhero-ing.

Batman #27: The Ballad of Kite Man, Part 1. Okay issue, hoping the next one will be better. I was able to grab the variant cover with Batman on the front.

Nightwing #25: A bit anti-climatic for me, as far as Tiger Shark is concerned. I think they could’ve made his scope in the title much larger. I do like the new status quo though. Another cool cover this week.

Old July 25th, 2017   starks is offline   #330
starks
Geoffan

Detective #960: Another Azrael issue. Meh. Didn't like him then, and nothing is changing my mind now. Every time I see "The Order of St. Dumas" I feel like I'm supposed to reel with anticipation except all I see is the Order of Saint Dumbass. Lol. Different strokes I guess. I am enjoying the Batman/Zee flashbacks, young Zee isn't something I recall seeing ever, so kind of fun. I just wish all the young/innocent likeable characters hadn't been shunted out of the book. It's lost it's heart.
ddf
First time I think we've disagreed on a title. I'm loving everything going on with Azrael.

An even younger version of Zee was in Batman Animated or JL, as we see Zee (as a child) performing with her father at a young Bruce Wayne's birthday party.

Old July 26th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #331
[email protected]

First time I think we've disagreed on a title. I'm loving everything going on with Azrael.

An even younger version of Zee was in Batman Animated or JL, as we see Zee (as a child) performing with her father at a young Bruce Wayne's birthday party.
ddf
starks View Post
Haha, well I guess we were bound to disagree on a book sooner or later.

I do like bringing in young Zatanna as part of pre-Batman's development. Seems like everybody (incl. Bruce Timm) has tried to draw her into the Gotham world. This is a great way to cement those ties.

Old July 26th, 2017   starks is offline   #332
starks
Geoffan

Agreed.

Old July 28th, 2017   starks is offline   #333
starks
Geoffan

Action Comics #984: Really good story throughout, liked how Oz took part. Wished that he was used in other titles, than just Superman & Batman titles. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more of him.

This issue had an interesting end, which could lead to some big possibilities and even the beginning of Jon’s own rogue gallery.

Detective Comics #961: Loved it, from beginning & especially to the end. Seeing Bruce with Zee in the beginning was really good & then with what’s going on with Azrael is pretty awesome. Cool last page. I like how they’re incorporating the past.

Suicide Squad #22: Interesting story, just wish the art was better. Just don’t know how writer Robbie Williams is classifying Batman as a metahuman though.

Hal Jordan/GLC #25: Very good issue. Soranik goes full Dark Side, while we see the tactician John Stewart is. An interesting final page…of course we knew that was going to happen eventually.

JLA #11: The Ray is getting on my nerves with each subsequent issue. Don’t know who Frost & The Atom met with, a little intro somewhere would’ve been nice. The Kingbutcher stuff was just more of the same for this title. Bring on the search for Palmer already.

Side note: Comic Shop News #1571 was interesting, as it takes a shot at Supergirl’s art. It reads, “Supergirl has been one of DC’s artistic mismatches: strong storytelling held back by cartoony manga-influenced art that lacks the visual appeal of the typical Rebirth title.”

It continues (talking about Supergirl Annual #1), “But this story arc will feature the stunning art of Robson Rocha and Steve Pugh, top-notch illustrators who can give Supergirl the look she deserves.”

Never seen them take a shot at a comic like this before.

Old August 2nd, 2017   Call Me El is offline   #334
Call Me El
Geoffan

Side note: Comic Shop News #1571 was interesting, as it takes a shot at Supergirl’s art. It reads, “Supergirl has been one of DC’s artistic mismatches: strong storytelling held back by cartoony manga-influenced art that lacks the visual appeal of the typical Rebirth title.”

It continues (talking about Supergirl Annual #1), “But this story arc will feature the stunning art of Robson Rocha and Steve Pugh, top-notch illustrators who can give Supergirl the look she deserves.”

Never seen them take a shot at a comic like this before.
ddf
starks View Post
I've yet to see a positive opinion on the Supergirl art. She shouldn't look better in guest appearances in other books than in her own. Hopefully this is the start of fixing that.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old August 4th, 2017   starks is offline   #335
starks
Geoffan

Dark Days – The Casting: In these types of events, I think two things happen. One, that the reader tries to decipher everything in one or two issues w/out just letting everything unfold naturally—which I’m definitely guilty of. And two, the story itself can unravel pretty quickly.

The second part is because I don’t have that much faith in Scott Snyder to tell a complete satisfying story. I’ve mentioned before that I was a big fan of his Talons/Court of Owls work, but not a fan of anything else he’s done since then. In fact, I think the end of his Batman run was a complete mess.

For this story thus far, what he’s done with Hawkman is absolute GENIUS. He just made the character a true power player in the DCU. I even dare say, that in this one issue, he has surpassed what Geoff Johns has done for Hawkman during his run on the title.

The Challengers of the Unknown. The Blackhawks. All Hawkman? BRILLIANT.

Back to my first point, because I’m a fan—and that’s what we do—I’m going to decipher something right now. Here’s my guess. The Dark Multiverse, this metal, this “breach,” is the Anti-Matter Universe.

Lastly, did Snyder just wipe away The Joker’s Daughter out of existence? If The Joker got stitched back up, then TJD had no face to find, thus not becoming that character.

Red Hood/Outlaws #12: Grundy taking on the Reds w/ a dying Bizarro helping out ‘til the end. Then a certain Superman shows up. Great issue, very heartfelt. I just wonder who the mystery employer was…couldn’t have been Black Mask, right?

Aquaman #26: Don’t like the art style. Seems like the direction of the title has changed too, from DCU-centric to Swords & Sorcery. I might go the trade route on this title now or drop altogether.

Deathstroke #21: Don’t know what the beginning had to do with the rest, but at least the end was a nice surprise. This new direction could be interesting for all of Team Defiance.

Titans #13: Team members are keeping secrets. The issue was interesting enough, although Endgame got a bit tedious. Hopefully the romantic relationships between the team don’t bog down this title too much.

Teen Titans #10: Jackson meets up with Manta & we’ll see if Manta doesn’t care as much as he claims. I think the team could use more of a shakeup, as I wouldn’t mind seeing Beast Boy given his walking papers. Wouldn’t be upset if Starfire went away either.

Going away on vacation, won't be posting for at least a week or two after today.

Old August 4th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #336
[email protected]

Dark Days – The Casting: In these types of events, I think two things happen. One, that the reader tries to decipher everything in one or two issues w/out just letting everything unfold naturally—which I’m definitely guilty of. And two, the story itself can unravel pretty quickly.

The second part is because I don’t have that much faith in Scott Snyder to tell a complete satisfying story. I’ve mentioned before that I was a big fan of his Talons/Court of Owls work, but not a fan of anything else he’s done since then. In fact, I think the end of his Batman run was a complete mess.

For this story thus far, what he’s done with Hawkman is absolute GENIUS. He just made the character a true power player in the DCU. I even dare say, that in this one issue, he has surpassed what Geoff Johns has done for Hawkman during his run on the title.

The Challengers of the Unknown. The Blackhawks. All Hawkman? BRILLIANT.

Back to my first point, because I’m a fan—and that’s what we do—I’m going to decipher something right now. Here’s my guess. The Dark Multiverse, this metal, this “breach,” is the Anti-Matter Universe.

Lastly, did Snyder just wipe away The Joker’s Daughter out of existence? If The Joker got stitched back up, then TJD had no face to find, thus not becoming that character.
ddf
starks View Post
The most enjoyable part of the book so far for me is the restoration of Hawkman and putting him back on the map. The storyline changes also shunt the bland nu52 version out of existence, which is fine with me.

Regarding Duela, I hope the changes don't shove her out of being the J.D. I was actually hoping she'd have a run-in with the Titans, although I don't recall her appearing since she left the pages of Suicide Squad (pre-Rebirth).