The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Marvel Comics

Marvel Comics The House of Ideas. 'Nuff Said!

Old June 2nd, 2017   Amentep is offline   #97
Amentep

I've enjoyed(?) HULK so far even though its kind of a different take on things. But it is really well told.

Old June 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #98
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Secret Empire #4 : Liked this issue a bit better than #3, due to less of the art being unfathomably moody and washed out with saturated colors. I get they're going for mood, but when I can't make out the characters it doesn't help. Anyway, less of that here, and I enjoyed it more.

On one hand, it was the typical mid-Marvel-event everyone-talking-and navel-gazing issue, but I did enjoy seeing some classic Avengers gathered together for the first time in forever. The head-scratcher was what Ultron-Hank had to do with anything as the main manipulator of events here. (The Hydra angle seemed to be completely secondary). In spite of the complete dreailment of the main plot, I did enjoy this.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old June 21st, 2017   Matches is offline   #99
Matches
stepping aside

Secret Empire #4 : Liked this issue a bit better than #3, due to less of the art being unfathomably moody and washed out with saturated colors. I get they're going for mood, but when I can't make out the characters it doesn't help. Anyway, less of that here, and I enjoyed it more.

On one hand, it was the typical mid-Marvel-event everyone-talking-and navel-gazing issue, but I did enjoy seeing some classic Avengers gathered together for the first time in forever. The head-scratcher was what Ultron-Hank had to do with anything as the main manipulator of events here. (The Hydra angle seemed to be completely secondary). In spite of the complete dreailment of the main plot, I did enjoy this.
ddf
This issue reminded me of the old GI Joe cartoon where the weather dominator gets split into three pieces, and the Joes and Cobras have to go have a fight in each place. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. The heroes bickering almost makes Ultron look like the good guy until you remember that Captain America is a Nazi.

Vanishing Point is interesting. I assume that was Rick Jones with Not-Steve, but who was the African-American fellow?

Other Marvel titles:

Daredevil #21 starts a new arc and seems to be the payoff for Soule's run to date. Not quite sure what he's up to. It was a good issue but I hope we're not headed for more secret identity shenanigans - seems like the DD title has done that enough in recent years.

I read Defenders #1 not realizing there was a FCBD prologue so that was a little weird. Good issue, though - Bendis is always strong with these characters and Marquez's art is tremendous.

Jessica Jones #9 continues the Maria Hill story - this remains one of my favorite Marvel titles. Bendis giving Jessica her edge back is a welcome development.

Also it's a little old but the first issue of the current Hawkeye series hit Marvel Unlimited this week and I liked that a LOT. It stars Kate Bishop who is working as a PI, lots of humor but not slapstick. Basically it's what the hipster Batgirl comic would be if that comic was good.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old July 4th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #100
[email protected]

Secret Empire #5 : Another typical talky mid-event installment. Continue to be frustrated by the art, which seems to be getting high marks in various site reviews. Still spend much of my time trying to determine who is who. After 3 issues we still don't know who the other two in the vanishing point with Steve are. Rick? Bucky? Probably Sam? Why do I stick with it, you ask? I want to see Steve Rogers redeemed. He's been the moral center of the 616 since Avengers #4.
Odd development with the return of [a dead Avenger] at the end.

X-Men Blue #6 : Kind of a breather issue I guess. Light read, but didn't mind. If anything, it established Jimmy Hudson as a continuing character for the series. It does hurt my brain that we have yet another player from another universe. Is anybody in the Marvel U actually FROM here anymore? Gwenpool. Spider-Gwen. Miles Morales. X-Men Blue. Jimmy Hudson. Old Man Logan. Rachel Summers. It's exhausting. Well, I like the original X team, so I guess there's that. ��

Old July 7th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #101
Amentep

I can't say where they come from really impacts me much unless the story is about that. I just happen to like Blue's take on the original crew.

That said I think I like Jean Grey's solo book slightly better.

Old July 19th, 2017   starks is offline   #102
starks
Geoffan

Cable #’s 1-2: Cable is in pursuit of a villain thru the timestream, meeting obstacles at every point. Okay start, I guess. Not holding my interest enough, but I’ll give it a few more issues to do so.

Daredevil #’s 21-22: Daredevil goes to court to put his plan to end crime in motion. Back in red for the time being, which is cool. This could be an interesting storyline, we’ll see.

Invincible Iron Man #8: Riri shows up at the bombing site & has a discussion with Sharon Carter, before Lady octopus shows up. I like Riri, she’s a good character. One question…why is Nick Fury young?

Deadpool vs Punisher #’s 4-5: This is the best of the miniseries The Punisher has been a part of for the past few years. This had it all…action, humor, a bit of brutality these two can provide & a rather good story.

U.S. Avengers #7: Going to drop, don’t know what the point of this team is. It was decent two issues in, but went South after that. A few of the characters really have no point on being on this team.

Jean Grey #3: Good to see Namor—who should have his own title. Decent issue, as Jean is trying to find out if she can hold off the Phoenix’s advance.

Amazing Spider-Man #28: Peter & company stop Osborn’s plans. Decent issue. A bit of a snafu—during the fight, Peter removes his lenses. He’s then with Aunt May & Harry, and they don’t recognize him. May would know her own nephew’s eyes.

Amazing Spider-Man #29: Just when you think Peter has it all together, they have everything crash down on him. He’s the Charlie Brown of the Marvel Universe. The latest reason is that of Doc Ock, The Superior Spider-Man/Octopus (which I’m sure will have an action figure soon, of which I’ll promptly buy).

Ben Reilly-Scarlet Spider #’s 3-4: Ben needs to cure a girl while Kaine tracks (and eventually finds) him down. Good start to this title.

Peter Parker- Spectacular Spider-Man #1: New title, interesting end to the issue, with a new person in Peter’s life. The backup was interesting as well. Will have to see where things go, but it’s promising thus far.

Venom #151: Eddie’s back, but the symbiote & he have trust issues. Story’s decent, just wish a different art team was on the title.

Monsters Unleashed #3: First issue of this title was great, but the next two not so much. I like the concept though. This is Marvel’s next Big Hero Six-like movie property, I’m sure. Bank on it.

Weapon X #4: Prelude to “Weapons of Mutant Destruction” storyline, where TA Hulk, Old Man Logan, Sabertooth & Domino track down the location of Warpath & Lady Deathstrike. Good issue.

Funny thing though, Senior Editor Mark Paniccia is praising letterers…and there’s a lettering mistake in the “thank you.”

WMD #1: Old Man Logan & company are going after the people behind the cyborgs, while we see who the people are behind these weapons. Good thus far.

Totally Awesome Hulk #20: Part 2 of WMD, with Cho & deathstrike going after a guy before he becomes a part of the Weapon X program.

I was down on this title, actually dropped it, but this storyline got me back on board. Not it’s fault really, in that it started to be about monster hunting, but Monsters Unleashed usurped that M.O. So editorially, it really didn’t have a place. With this storyline, now it does.

X-Men Gold #’s 5-6: #5 felt “off” with the dialogue trying to be too cute & the art not being up to snuff. #6’s art was decent in spots, but the issue’s storyline of another world-destroyer & Rachel grey deciding to use her power to the fullest, made for a ho-hum story.

Old July 19th, 2017   Matches is offline   #103
Matches
stepping aside

Invincible Iron Man #8: Riri shows up at the bombing site & has a discussion with Sharon Carter, before Lady octopus shows up. I like Riri, she’s a good character. One question…why is Nick Fury young?
ddf
starks View Post
The current Nick Fury is actually Nick Fury Jr., the son of the original.

Old July 19th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #104
[email protected]

Black Bolt #2, #3 : Still feeling too much like a stock story that could have utilized any costumed hero. The "Black Bolt can speak" part could have been interesting, but really nothing is being done with it. Is it a relief to BB that he can vocalize his words? Is it weird for him to have to rely on Medusa to convey his thoughts? Guess we'll never know.

X-Men Gold #7 : A Secret Empire Crossover. Ugh.
Thankfully, the story didn't really seem to be a crossover, and was actually interesting (not a contrived corporate mandate story). The intruder-in-the-house angle actually kept me interested. At least part one of this crossover arc didn't derail this fledgeling title. Nice attention on Rachel this issue.

X-Men Blue #7 : A Secret Empire Crossover. Ugh.
This was literally a casebook example of what has driven me away from Marvel for the last 5-10 years. The new book only has 6 issues under it's belt and already has paused for an interruptive unnecessary crossover arc. Want to know why Marvel readership is dwindling? This is exactly EXACTLY why. A book that's only 6 issues old doesn't need an interruptive crossover story followed by an all new direction. There hasn't been a "first" direction established. The Emma/Scott cliffhanger was good, just would have preferred getting there w/o the Hydra contrivance.
Have liked the title up until now, but if big changes are heralded after the crossover, I guarantee I'm dropping it like a hot potato. I don't need an All-New All-Different take on my books every 12-18 months. Please make the crossover end quickly. The sooner the better. Also, now I can't like Firestar or Havoc anymore? I used to like them. Sigh.

Old July 25th, 2017   starks is offline   #105
starks
Geoffan

Agreed, Marvel ruins a lot of titles that way. U.S. Avengers was hurt really bad with the crossover events. I can see that happening with the X-titles as well.

Old August 4th, 2017   Astro@work is offline   #106
[email protected]

Secret Empire #6, #7 : Now that the obligatory talky middle issues are out of the way, this is picking up. I really enjoyed the revisit of the prophecy about Miles killing Cap. Natasha's fate and Sharon's brtrayal were both great moments. I smell a huge cosmic re-set coming from the cosmic cube, but I have to say I'm also hoping for one. It will ease the pain of the last year, and the new unlikeable Steve et al.

Royals #5 : I'm enjoying the story, but baffled by the art. Ronan and his relationship with Crystal are long overdue for a check-in. The art changes throughout this issue were head-scratchers though...does Crystal have long hair or short hair? Does she have a new secondary mutation of hair growth? Did she whip on some extensions to visit Ronan, but have second thoughts? Also, why God why is Medusa's hair short???? IT'S. HER. POWER.
On a scale of 1 to ten, I'll give bobbed Medusa a minus one million.
(Yes, I get she's supposed to be sick, but....)

Astonishing X-Men #1 : Very good start here. The X-titles are doing a solid job of winning me over lately, mostly because they are going back to their roots in a lot of ways, instead of making a mish-mash out of all the concepts. Like the lineup a lot, with the exception of Fantomex who I find mostly annoying. (Do we know who he is under the mask? Do we care?) The Shadow King's machinations made for great story, especially that last page teaser...

Old August 14th, 2017   Amentep is offline   #107
Amentep

RE Crossovers, I think the problem to me is too many writers seem to get lost in the crossover which allows the cross-over to derail the story. Ms. Marvel's tie-ins which have actually always kept in view the existing story and character beats and also have been non-crossover reading friendly.

I'm still not sure how Black Bolt can really sustain its premise. Its not bad, but I'm not really hooked on it.

Old August 16th, 2017   starks is offline   #108
starks
Geoffan

Weapon X #5: Part 3 of WMD, we see lab techs @ Weapon X & Cho not wearing a shirt for some reason.

Totally Awesome Hulk #21: Part 4 of WMD, two subjects given the treatment & Cho is still without a shirt. Cho, as Hulk, then takes on Creed. The gang then arrives at the Weapon X facility—and Cho finally has a shirt on. Woohoo!

Weapon X #6: Part 5 of WMD, The team battles cyborgs, finds Stryker & Cho tries to stop the others from killing him but fails to complete his part of the overall mission (stopping the completion of the experiment). We’ll see how things wrap up.

Amazing Spider-Man #30: Peter makes his last stand against Octavius & it doesn’t work out so well. Will have to see how things go in the next issue.

Ben Reilly – Scarlet Spider #5: Kaine confronts Ben, while Cassandra confronts Thorne. Good issue. I’m really liking this title.

Peter Parker – Spectacular Spider-Man #2: Parker has a sister that isn’t his sister & has a date as Spider-Man. The latter is just plain stupid. Going to drop.

Venom #152: Not in love with the art, but it’s growing on me. Interesting things going on with Eddie & the symbiote as they take on Stegron, with Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur joining the fray.

Daredevil #’s 23-24: Fisk beats Murdock in court with his newly acquired lawyer (named Legal), who was formerly employed by Stark. Tombstone has been sent to take out Matt. Don’t like how Tombstone is relegated to ordinary thug for hire here.

Invincible Iron Man #9: Riri takes on Lucia von Bardas of Latveria, while MJ learns more about the Stark A.I. Good read.

X-Men Gold #’s 7-8: Demons are attacking NYC, while the X-Men are being hunted down in their mansion. And Colossus is carrying someone again in this issue—even without his powers. Thank goodness he’s still able to do that, since he’s the official carrier for this title.

Jean Grey #5: Jean meets up with Odinson & they battle orcs together, while Thor imparts his wisdom. Decent enough.

Astonishing X-Men #1: A new team forms to battle the Shadow King. Very interesting last page. Might be worth checking out more.

Cable #3: Cable travels to the Mayan civilization in the past, and more is explained about his quest. Not having enough interest in this title, will be dropping.

Monsters Unleashed #4: Kei escapes the Intelligencia with Mole man’s & Elsa’s help and goes home to help out his parents. The story has devolved into a bad cartoon. I like the overall concept, so I’ll continue for the time being.

U.S. Avengers #8: Learned about Toni Ho’s (Iron Patriot) father’s time spent with Stark. This was interesting. The other stuff with the rest of the team, not so much. I might drop this title as well.

Black Panther #16: haven’t picked up an issue in a while & can’t remember why I ordered this one in particular. I liked learning more about The Wrecking Crew’s Thunderball, but other than that, this issue was a bore for me.

Old August 17th, 2017   Matches is offline   #109
Matches
stepping aside

Amazing Spider-Man #30: Peter makes his last stand against Octavius & it doesn’t work out so well. Will have to see how things go in the next issue.
ddf
starks View Post
I liked the wrap up in #31 a lot - it brought the Parker Industries stuff to a nice head IMO.

Peter Parker – Spectacular Spider-Man #2: Parker has a sister that isn’t his sister & has a date as Spider-Man. The latter is just plain stupid. Going to drop.
ddf
I dunno - that seems like a very Spidey thing to me. I'm digging this one in large part because it feels more like a Spider-Man book to me than ASM does. ASM is fine for what it is, but Pete's been unrecognizable in that book for several years now. PP:SM works for me as a more classic take. (So does the Miles Morales book, FWIW - that one's on an upswing right now.)

Daredevil #’s 23-24: Fisk beats Murdock in court with his newly acquired lawyer (named Legal), who was formerly employed by Stark. Tombstone has been sent to take out Matt. Don’t like how Tombstone is relegated to ordinary thug for hire here.
ddf
I'm very intrigued to see where this one goes. Soule is taking some creative license with the idea that Murdock, and only Murdock, can prosecute the case/ handle the appeal, but overall I've enjoyed it. I do have something of an issue with us being back in the place of Murdock actively working to manipulate the system he's supposed to be defending.

Secret Empire has been really enjoyable for me as well. Definitely the best Marvel event since at least AvX. Really digging Defenders so far too, and Jessica Jones has been good for the whole current volume. Bendis has a nice family of street-level books again, and IMO that's where he really excels.

Old August 18th, 2017   starks is offline   #110
starks
Geoffan

I like ASM because it's moved Peter Parker's character forward & that's probably why I have a short leash for Spectacular Spider-Man, as we've seen those stories thousands of times. Him going on a date, hiking his mask up half way just seems extremely dumb to me & takes me out of the story (Peter is acting like too much of an idiot IMO). My suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   starks is offline   #111
starks
Geoffan

Amazing Spider-Man #31: Thought this was a below average issue, didn’t care for the dialogue, especially the whiney Doc Ock. Will have to see where this title goes from here.

Ben Reilly – Scarlet Spider #6 : Ben stops a couple of killers & runs into a mysterious woman (goddess of death?) along the way. Good issue. This has quickly become one of my favorite titles each month.

Venom #153: Brock handles Devil Dinosaur & takes out Stegron. Stegron grew on me as a character. This was a decent storyarc.

Totally Awesome Hulk #22: Conclusion to WMD. Ended as one would expect. New monster in the Marvel Universe, a Hulverine (Weapon H). Cho unleashes more of the Hulk from within himself than he cares to, to the battle. Okay payoff.

Weapon X #7: Weapon H is on the loose, while the Weapon X team hunts him down. Decent issue.

Daredevil #25: Average art, but good story. Murdock takes his case to the Supreme Court & defeats Legal. And Tombstone isn’t as much of a wimp here, thankfully.

Invincible Iron Man #10: We see Riri in Latveria in charge & Sharon Carter comes to discuss things. This is an enjoyable comic, with really good storylines & art to match.

X-Men Gold #’s 9-10: Kitty & Colossus go to Washington to speak to Congress about the good that mutants do, as Congress is deciding to bring a bill forth to kick mutants out of the country. By issue’s end (#9), we see Omega Red resurrected.

#10, I think is the best issue yet for this title. Just a good story all around, as Colossus learns of an uncle he didn’t know existed & the team travels to Russia because of the news they receive, in that Omega Red is back.

Astonishing X-Men #2: The team realizes they’re in a dream & that one of them isn’t who he appears to be. Another interesting ending for this title.

Jean Grey #5: Jean is getting help via Psylocke this issue & a mystery voice. Decent enough.

Monsters Unleashed #5: Good ending to this opening storyline, although the art needs to improve.

Old 1 Week Ago   starks is offline   #112
starks
Geoffan

U.S. Avengers #9: The team fights back against Hydra & defeats them. We then get a glimpse of where Cannonball is located. Good issue overall, but I think I’ll be cutting this title as it’s not holding my interest enough.

Peter Parker – Spectacular Spider-Man #3: The dialogue is just annoying, making Peter sound like a moron.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #10: Not a title I normally get, but I liked the cover & figured I’d try it out. This was pretty interesting. Normie is running Oscorp, Peter has a daughter (who’s a hero) & they’re battling The Lizard & his son. Good story. I’ll keep an eye out for this title.

Rocket #4: The cover drew me in, and also guest-starring Deadpool. Good issue. Liked how it used the prose gutter to tell the story. Overall, this was a good read.