The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

View Poll Results: Which is your preferred take on the Shazam Mythos?
Shazam MOSE 43 56.58%
Trials of Shazam 27 35.53%
Gomer Pyle is the true champion Of Shazam 3 3.95%
Whats a Shazam? 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 30th, 2007   Rational Mad Man is offline   #1
Rational Mad Man
persona non grata

Default Shazam Vs MOSE

Now understand this isn't a thread to debate which is better. Its a thread to discuss the differences between the two and whcih elements you prefer. There is no right or wrong answer, just your own personal opinion.

Which approach do you like more?
Which tone is more in tune with your interests?
Which do you feel handles the subject matter more maturely?

As a kickstart I am providing a link to my own personal views as published on my blog.

http://rationalmadman.blogspot.com/2...r-society.html

and remeber, lets keep it friendly!
Last edited by Rational Mad Man; March 30th, 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Old March 30th, 2007   booyah is offline   #2
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

Which approach do you like more?
Which tone is more in tune with your interests?
Which do you feel handles the subject matter more maturely?
ddf
Rational Mad Man View Post
I personally like the take on the mythos that Trials of Shazam has more than MSOE. MSOE is great, I really do like it, I just like Trials better.
The modern approach that Winick is taking the title in is very appealing to me. To see Freddy struggle to regain something that he once had makes it all the more worth while. These powers aren't being "given" to him, he is earning them. He is showing, especially in issue 5, that he is worthy of being called a hero without the powers, and will make a damn fine Champion to Billy's Wizard.
Last edited by booyah; March 30th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old March 30th, 2007   Drink is offline   #3
Drink
Official Scofflaw

I picked the last one because it's the funniest.

Old March 30th, 2007   RJ Squires is offline   #4
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Im all for MSoE.

Why? after 63 years why change things now? People say IT NEEDS CHANGE, however for the most part Cap was one of the most highly tauted heroes when he was in his prime. He was swept under the carpet because he was doing better than Superman. Then Severely mishandled, until Ordway came around in the mid 90's.

Winnack? sigh....I wont even go on that soap box. MSoE has everything a die hard SHAZAM! fan wants to see in it.

Old March 30th, 2007   Rational Mad Man is offline   #5
Rational Mad Man
persona non grata

What? No love for Gomer?

Old March 30th, 2007   Wally West888 is offline   #6
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I prefer Trials of Shazam because I don't go into a killer rage mode after reading it for how they mess things up in MSoE.

Also that, I like the changes to Billy and Freddy, and just remember they are comic books so the word Need really can't be used, they wanted to change the Marvel Family to evolve them, they didn't need to, but they wouldn't be going anywhere if they didn't do this.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old March 30th, 2007   Zylly is offline   #7
Zylly
Advanced Geoffan

I think I'd prefer somewhere inbetween the two. Trials, while I like it, is going just a little too far into left field, and MSoE feels just a little too... simple, I guess. I definitely don't want to be reading about a Billy and Mary who are, like, eight.

Fly home, Superman.
Todd Crossman, 8/27/54-10/27/06
Old March 30th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #8
Amentep

I like that MSoE is fun. ToS wasn't fun to me.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the changes presented in ToS (even if I think its sad to marginalize Billy by making him bound to the rock) but I haven't really enjoyed Freddy Freeman's character recently, particularly under Winnick. I think the idea of Freddy having to re-earn the powers to make his Shazam! name is interesting but the execution doesn't work for me.

Hopefully DC will continue the Shazam! and Shazam! Family archives (and maybe another Showcase to cover the remaining 70s material?) for me to get stories I might like better (even if some I'll have read already). I don't particularly see myself three years down the line following the Shazam! family that comes out of both of these stories (remember MSoE is supposed to be in continuity and presumably surplanting Ordway's PoS! series).

Old March 30th, 2007   Nightwing826 is offline   #9
Nightwing826
The New Champion

TOS is continuing the story started back from Power of Shazam and inside the rest of the DCU. It is a new and intresting twist on the characters. Personally, I think that these stories cannot be compared because of the diffrent kind of story. You have two diffrent main characters all together. Also, MSOE is not what I think of as the begining of any origin that lines up with the rest of the DCU, POWER OF SHAZAM is the true origin of the Marvel Family in the DCU!

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old March 30th, 2007   Impulse is offline   #10
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

As much as I love Jeff Smith's art, I'm sorely disappointed in Monster Society of Evil. I just don't associate Captain Marvel as someone <something?> that exists separately of Billy - he IS Billy, grown up and super powered. The idea of a brattish Mary Marvel who's about 6 doesn't appeal either. It's a good Elseworlds, but that's all I view it as.

Trials of Shazam is incredibly enjoyable to me, one of the few DC titles attempting real change and forward motion for characters that have arguable been stagnant for years. The art is amazing too - I can't wait for a complete hardback of the whole series.

Old March 30th, 2007   Infernorhythm is offline   #11
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I dislike both, Trials more so then MSOE. MSOE is a regression/retelling that isn't really needed. Trials a terribly written story that changes key aspects of the Captain Marvel Universe and has destroyed the character of Freddy Freeman, IMHO.

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old March 30th, 2007   Rational Mad Man is offline   #12
Rational Mad Man
persona non grata

OK heres what I don't get about the Pro-trials argument.
Superman hasn't changed much in 60 years, neither has Batman, or Wonderwoman, or spiderman or etc etc etc.
Yet no one calls them "stagnant"
So why is Captain marvel "stangant"?

Old March 30th, 2007   Nightwing826 is offline   #13
Nightwing826
The New Champion

OK heres what I don't get about the Pro-trials argument.
Superman hasn't changed much in 60 years, neither has Batman, or Wonderwoman, or spiderman or etc etc etc.
Yet no one calls them "stagnant"
So why is Captain marvel "stangant"?
ddf
Rational Mad Man View Post
What? They have all changed. Superman died and we had 4 Supermen around. Jean Paul Valley and Dick Grayson took over for Batman for about a year in comic book time. Wonder Woman, I know that Artemis(spelling) and Donna Troy have taken over for Diana. Plus Hippolayta (spelling) was the first Wonder Woman. Spider-Man has the whole clone saga thing, and Spider Man also changed up rescently like last year in The Other. Plus there are new Green Lanterns, Flashs, Blue Beetle, a new Aquaman, new Starman and so many others.

Old March 30th, 2007   Impulse is offline   #14
Impulse
Don't call me Kid Flash!

What? They have all changed. Superman died and we had 4 Supermen around. Jean Paul Valley and Dick Grayson took over for Batman for about a year in comic book time. Wonder Woman, I know that Artemis(spelling) and Donna Troy have taken over for Diana. Plus Hippolayta (spelling) was the first Wonder Woman. Spider-Man has the whole clone saga thing, and Spider Man also changed up rescently like last year in The Other. Plus there are new Green Lanterns, Flashs, Blue Beetle, a new Aquaman, new Starman and so many others.
ddf
Nightwing826 View Post
Yup - up to now, the Marvel family have been one of the few groups of characters in superhero history where change has never been attempted, at least to my knowledge. And if something sits in the same position for 60 years... well, that's pretty stagnant. About the only attempt I can think of to do anything fresh with Shazam before Trials was Thunder, the champion of Shazam in the Legion's time, but she was a whole reboot away.

Old March 30th, 2007   Rational Mad Man is offline   #15
Rational Mad Man
persona non grata

ddf
Nightwing826 View Post
So a temprorary change that everyone knows is temporary kept them "fresh"?

Superman hasn't had a true, lasting change since the 50's.
"Death of Superman" and "reign of the supermen" made no lasting changes to the character.
Same with the Knightfall storyline.
Same with Wonderwoman. Hell even as hippolyta, most people couldn't tell the difference between WW-Diana and WW-Hippolyta
Spidermans clone saga changed what exactly? There were clones, they wer going to make PP a clone, they didn't. Even baby May is gone without a trace.
Green Lantern (all of them) are back in thier original forms.
Yes occasionally you will get a "reign of the supermen" type story that changes things for a few seconds, but superman today is the same basic character as superman 20, 30, or 50 years ago. Same with Batman. Same with spiderman, etc.
So what makes CM "stagnant"?

Old March 30th, 2007   Nightwing826 is offline   #16
Nightwing826
The New Champion

They way they have changed. And it doesn't have to be compared to Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. We are going to have a new Captain America, it is because his character was running out of doing the same thing over and over, just told the same. Some character can evolve like Batman. Think of Freddy like Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West. They all stepped up to another role, Freddy wasn't always under Billy's lead. Freddy was like Wally, there was a need for Captain Marvel/Flash and they stepped up for this role. It was there time. Plus this is magic, it is unpredictable. And remember, DC sued Fawcett because Captain Marvel was too much like Superman, now with this he is going more away from Superman.