The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old March 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #1
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Default The new SHAZAM!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...Ywirdrl3U9BYwL

The NEW YORK POST revealed today the exclusive first look at SHAZAM! in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. The new interpretation of this iconic character will debut in the seventh issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE, the comic book industry’s current bestselling title, in a new ongoing back-up story that will re-imagine the character’s magical origins. Designed and illustrated by New York Times bestselling artist Gary Frank, SHAZAM! will be written by critically acclaimed writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns.

“With SHAZAM! Gary and I will be focusing on the magic hero instead of the super hero,” Johns told THE SOURCE. “For centuries, science has ruled the world, but now magic is returning. We’re telling the story of the hero’s young alter ego, Billy Batson, a foster kid at a crossroads in his life. The question is, how does the emotional journey of this troubled teenager collide with the fate of the world? The Rock of Eternity and the legacy of SHAZAM! will be explored in a different way as the extent of Billy’s connection to the magic world around him is greater than ever before. The story will have a profound impact on Justice League later in the year and you’ll see new characters, locations and creatures along with the classics from the SHAZAM! universe. Billy’s friends and enemies will be along for the ride.”

“You’ll notice that SHAZAM! looks different from many of the other heroes we’ve seen in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52,” said editor Brian Cunningham. “That was definitely intentional. His powers come from a different place, and we wanted to see that reflected in the design. We’ve removed the “circus strongman” elements from his costume. Rather than a traditional cape, he wears a cloak with a hood; there’s more of a mystical, magical, fantasy feel to that.”

Head over to the NY POST to check out SHAZAM’s new look, and don’t miss his debut in JUSTICE LEAGUE #7 – with a lead story also written by Johns, with art by Gene Ha. JUSTICE LEAGUE #7 lands in comic book stores on March 21.
ddf
There's a picture of Captain Mar... I mean SHAZAM's new look... Could be worse.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old March 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

At least Nu-Shazam doesn't look like another Jim Lee design. Can't say I like the hood. Captain Marvel had one of the coolest capes in comics, IMO.

Old March 5th, 2012   Outside_85 is offline   #3
Outside_85
persona non grata

At least Nu-Shazam doesn't look like another Jim Lee design. Can't say I like the hood. Captain Marvel had one of the coolest capes in comics, IMO.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
You mean a napkin?

Btw, I thought him being a magic superman was pretty well established by now?

Old March 5th, 2012   leonmallett is offline   #4
leonmallett
comics fan

I don't care for the design; I get why the design choices were made to evoke the element of fantasy, but to me Captain Marvel (and a re-branded 'Shazam') always evoked optimism in the past. Hiding beneath a hood is the antithesis of that, and leads me to think this is not the Billy Batson I want to read about.

Now that is a massive leap to make on one image and a few comments from Geoff Johns, but still while a fairly clean looking design, it does not seem a 'right' feeling design to this potential reader.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old March 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #5
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I don't care for the design; I get why the design choices were made to evoke the element of fantasy, but to me Captain Marvel (and a re-branded 'Shazam') always evoked optimism in the past. Hiding beneath a hood is the antithesis of that, and leads me to think this is not the Billy Batson I want to read about.

Now that is a massive leap to make on one image and a few comments from Geoff Johns, but still while a fairly clean looking design, it does not seem a 'right' feeling design to this potential reader.
ddf
leonmallett View Post
My first impression is much like yours. With a lot of these changes in the DCnU I just ask "Why?"... Change for hype's sake?

Old March 5th, 2012   John Casey is offline   #6
John Casey
Geoffan

Three words come to mind: OH. HELL. NO.

Old March 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #7
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Three words come to mind: OH. HELL. NO.
ddf
John Casey View Post
DC Comics: Where nothing is sacred.

Old March 5th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I liked the King James version.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old March 5th, 2012   shazam69 is offline   #9
shazam69
Neo Geoffan

I am a die hard CM fan, and I kind of like it. I don't like the hood, but maybe they will fix that eventually, but the rest is ok with me and I look forward to seeing what happens. Hopefully the hood will go away and the story will be great.

Mike

BBBOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!
Old March 5th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #10
mego joe
Geoffan

I'm not about new. I'm about finding joy in nostalgia and redesigns really kill that feeling- especially classic costumes like Captain Marvel and the JSA characters. This has been a horrible day for anyone in comics with a sense of history. Kill me now DC before it gets any worse!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 5th, 2012   LionKnight is offline   #11
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

Does he have pants?

Why does DC keep messing with characters pants?

I'll pass judgement after I see a better image of the look.

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old March 5th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #12
mego joe
Geoffan

Does he have pants?

Why does DC keep messing with characters pants?

I'll pass judgement after I see a better image of the look.
ddf
LionKnight View Post
Why wait, get all your anger out now in case you end up liking it once you get a better look!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 5th, 2012   Lady Obie is offline   #13
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

I'm not about new. I'm about finding joy in nostalgia and redesigns really kill that feeling- especially classic costumes like Captain Marvel and the JSA characters. This has been a horrible day for anyone in comics with a sense of history. Kill me now DC before it gets any worse!
ddf
mego joe View Post
I wouldn't head for the hills until we see Alan's new costume.

After all it couldn't be any worse than his pre-relaunch Green Mantern look could it?

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old March 5th, 2012   LionKnight is offline   #14
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

Why wait, get all your anger out now in case you end up liking it once you get a better look!
ddf
mego joe View Post
I don't really have any anger about it, I jsut want to see a better pic of it, right now I could do with out the hood, the rest is actually giving me a Theo Adam feel to it, which might not be a bad thing.

Of course once I see it I might hate it

BTW he's still Captain Marvel

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old March 5th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #15
mego joe
Geoffan

I don't really have any anger about it, I jsut want to see a better pic of it, right now I could do with out the hood, the rest is actually giving me a Theo Adam feel to it, which might not be a bad thing.

Of course once I see it I might hate it

BTW he's still Captain Marvel
ddf
LionKnight View Post
He will always be Captain Marvel!

Old March 5th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #16
mego joe
Geoffan

I wouldn't head for the hills until we see Alan's new costume.

After all it couldn't be any worse than his pre-relaunch Green Mantern look could it?

ddf
Lady Obie View Post
Unfortunately, I think it could.