The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 14th, 2010   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #1
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

Default The General Marvel Family Discussion Thread

Hey everyone,

I know there are a few Captain Marvel and Marvel Family fans on this board so I figured I would start a general discussion thread for all things related to them. I personally am a big fan (otherwise I wouldn't be starting this thread) and just love the concepts and the characters.

First, please read the following, it is an excerpt from the forward to Shazam! From the 40's to the 70's written by E. Nelson Bridwell.

It seems appropriate to insert a few words at this point about the lawsuit which for many years was widely believed to have forced Captain Marvel and his friends off the stands. I have often seen it stated in print that National Comics (now DC Comics) won a lawsuit claiming Cap was only a blatant copy of Superman. The fact is that there was such a lawsuit-but National lost the initial court test.

However, that wasn't the end to it. National gathered more evidence, enough to reopen the suit. At first, Fawcett began digging for counter-evidence proving not only that Cap was original in many ways but that Popeye had done many of the superstrength stunts before either of them.

Of course, Cap had begun as a Superman swipe. That he became something quite different was due to the genius of such men as Otto Binder, Bill Woolfok, and C.C. Beck.

But suddenly Fawcett stopped building its defense. They had made their decision to drop their comic line (they later revived it for a single feature-Dennis the Menace), and it seemed absurd to go to court and defend a character they wouldn't be publishing. So Fawcett settled out of court, paying a large sum to National and agreeing not to publish the character without DC's consent.

Fawcett did this in the belief that superheroes were on their way out for good. A scant three years later, DC revived The Flash, beginning the renaissance of the heroic age. And Fawcett now could not revive their greatest hero without National's permission.
ddf
I put this up to get that out of the way and I figured it was a good source and people would like to know what really happened, since I still hear people saying that Fawcett lost the suit and that's why DC has Captain Marvel.

To think, though, how different things might be if Fawcett had decided to defend Cap. Would it be the big three? Would Cap had been "sci-fi'ed" in origin, would DC be paying rights to the estate of Popeye's creator?

Ok, now on to the general discussion stuff.

The way I see it here are the various "era's" of Captain Marvel

Golden Age - published by Fawcett:
found reprinted mainly in Shazam! Archives 1-4, Shazam! Family Archive 1 for Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel origin
Atomic Age - published by Fawcett:
reprints sprinkled throughout a few areas, one story in "Shazam! The Greatest Stories Ever Told" (I think) by DC comics and a few more reprinted in Shazam! From the 40's to the 70's by Harmony Books (I found my copy on Amazon, if you find it I recommend picking it up)

Shazam! - this marks the beginning of DC's publication history with Captain Marvel. By this time Marvel Comics had come out with their version of Captain Marvel and DC had to title the book something else, hence Shazam!
Reprinted in "Showcase Presents: Shazam!" - reprints all the original material (as far as I know) created for the Shazam! series, but does not reprint any of the old Golden and Atomic age stories that were reprinted in some of those issues (which stinks).

World's Finest Back-up published by DC:
reprinted: Never as far as I know, didn't even get in "Shazam! The Greatest Stories Ever Told" which is stupid in my mind, as those are some of my favorite stories. Written by E. Nelson Birdwell and art by Don Newton, beautiful stuff and some great short stories. Real shame DC hasn't bothered to reproduce this some how.

Adventure Comics? published by DC:
Not really sure where this falls in, but I have some issues of Adventure Comics back when it was in digest form and a few (two or three) and they had Captain Marvel stories in them. However, I do not know if these were before or after the World's Finest back-ups, or even if they were just reprints of earlier material.

Shazam! A New Beginning (mini-series) published by DC: not collected
written by Roy Thomas - appeared after COIE and was supposed to be the new/updated origin for the character. I do not own this and have heard different things regarding it as to whether it is good or not. Anyone who knows more I would like to hear it.

Power of Shazam! OGN published by DC:
written and drawn by Jerry Ordway. Another attempt to redo the origin of Captain Marvel. I enjoy this one a lot, Dr. Sivania is in it but the main villain is Black Adam. Art is wonderful and the story is pretty solid. I would recommend anyone pick this up.

Power of Shazam! ongoing published by DC: not collected
Written by Jerry Ordway, 1-47, he took over the art chores towards the end of the book. This series is alright in my opinion. There are a lot of moments I really enjoy and I certainly enjoy having 47 issues of CM to read, however, there are times that I wish Ordway had a co-writer or someone to help him polish up his ideas a bit. He had some really cool stuff going on, but I feel that he didn't always give his ideas room to breath or let the characters react to them enough. Still would recommend you digging these out of any back issue bins you might find them in.

Superman/Shazam! First Thunder (mini-series) published by DC: should be in TPB
written by Judd Winnick. Even though this is Winnick I honestly think it's one of his better works. There is one part I don't like about it just becomes it seems very cliched, but for the most part I find it a very enjoyable look at the character and a fun four issue mini-series. Although I am tired of seeing Superman and Captain Marvel teamed up together.

Shazam! Monster Society of Evil (mini-series) published by DC: In TPB and hardcover.
written and drawn by Jeff Smith. Another look at CM's origin, it is worth picking up but didn't love it 100%. Some of the changes Smith made (especially in regards to Mary) I don't like. However, worth picking up.

Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam! published by Johnny DC: first six issues collected (I believe)
Good stuff. Mike Kunkle started this off but takes forever, really really forever. While Kunkle works on his next arc (from what I last heard) DC has Franco and Balatzar doing the writing and Mike Norton is now on art. Really good and I enjoy it. Is a great all-ages book, although still clearly written towards a younger audience. Follows the world Jeff Smith set up. Recommend any fan pick it up.

Trials of Shazam! published by DC: collected in two TPB
written by Judd Winnick, art by Howard Porter and I forget the name of the other guy. I personally dislike this story a lot. It brings major changes to the Marvel Family but not in a good way. But to each their own, but I do not recommend it.

Other collections of note:
I've already mentioned Shazam! From the 40's to the 70's this is book full of multiple issues reprinted in black and white (although issues from the Shazam! DC series are printed in color). I enjoy it, although quite a few of the issues in this have been reprinted by DC, there are still stories that I haven't found reprinted anywhere else.

"Shazam! the Greatest Stories Ever Told". Typical of these collections, they picked stories from different era's not necessarily the best stories. For example, no selection from the World's Finest back-up, but there is a story by Alan Grant that has Lobo and CM in it that is a completely wretched take on Cap. Also has the obnoxious Captain Thunder story in it, which was their take on Captain Marvel but that space could have been used better. However, worth picking up for the Roy Thomas (I believe) and Gil Kane story that has CM, Earth-1 Superman, Earth-2 Superman, Mary and Junior, and General Sivania in it. And it is drawn by Gil Kane, beautiful (NOTE: Gil Kane also drew the Captain Marvel Jr issues of Power of Shazam!)

52: some Marvel Family appearance (mostly on the Rock of Eternity) but lots of focus on Black Adam and his family. Also some nice moments with Dr. Sivinia and a glimpse as his family (Georgia, Thaddeus Jr, Beautia, and Magnificus).

I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League/Formerly Known as the Justice League: Two separate trades. Mary Marvel joins and is a member of the Super Buddies. It's all about the laughs so if you don't like seeing the Marvel's played for laughs avoid this, but I enjoyed it. Not my favorite depiction of the characters but there is stuff that I take away and enjoy.

The Outsiders: The Sum of All Evil (I think): Have not read this, but apparently features Captain Marvel Jr. fairly heavily.

Superboy/girl + the Power of Shazam!: As far as I know only two issues (one for Superboy and one for Supergirl) and they feature Captain Marvel Jr and Mary Marvel respectively. Pretty enjoyable imo but have to hunt for these in back issue bins.

Showcase '96 #7: Single issue of the Showcase issues DC put out in the 90's. Has a nice Mary Marvel story that ties into the Power of Shazam! series.

So that's kinda what I have (and some I don't have). I wish DC would work on collecting more of this material as it's really really hard to pick up Golden/Atomic Age issues. Not really a whole lot of material since then, but if you go back issue diving you might be able to find some good stuff (I like picking up the 100 page issues of Shazam! (from the 70's) as they always have lots of reprints).

Unfortunately I don't think DC had done much to ever support the character, but I personally find it amazing that Captain Marvel (and Family) has so many fans still considering how the last time I think there was consistantly good product put out with them was when they were in the World's Finest back-up (pre-COIE). I enjoyed Power of Shazam!, but I don't think it's brilliant and likely to draw in new fans.

So there has to be something great about the character and concept that make people still care.
Last edited by stephbarton v.2; April 14th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Originally stephbarton (hence the v.2)
Old April 14th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #2
Neo God
Geoffan

I've always wanted to like Captain Marvel, especially since I came to like Black Adam, Freddy Freeman, and Osiris. I've read him here and there, some portrayals I like (such as Justice) and others he's sort of ehh... bit goofy.

But nevertheless he does have fans, and has relative popularity and potential I hope DC can look at.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old April 14th, 2010   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #3
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

Forgot a few from my list...

Kingdom Come: A great story overall, not, in my opinion, a great Captain Marvel story as you don't really see anything new about his character, he's just a powerful brightly clad plot device, but a story worth picking up regardless. Collected in TPB of course.

Shazam! The Power of Hope: written by Paul Dini and art by Alex Ross. One of those large sized specials DC came out with in the 90's (I believe), along with Superman: Peace, Batman: War on Crime or something to that affect. Really showcases what makes Captain Marvel special and Billy Batson great as well. Recommend this to everyone. Believe all these specials were eventually collected, probably find these at book stores.

Justice: As neogod557 pointed out this is a GREAT version of Captain Marvel. Written by Jim Kreguer (I think...I honestly have been typing awhile now so I'm definitely too lazy to look, sorry) and art by Alex Ross. It has some great Captain Marvel moments, one or two pretty kick butt Billy Batson moments, and appearances by Mary and Junior (drawn by Alex Ross, wonderful). Collected in two volumes and I believe that an Absolute Edition is out. Worth getting in some format as it is probably the best version of the Captain to come out this decade if not in decades.

JSA: Captain Marvel also appears shortly in JSA by Geoff Johns, collected in multiple trades. Although Black Adam stole the show CM still gets some moments, but he is not in the series for long but you do get to see him drawn by Rags Morales in at least one story.

As for the goofy aspect of Captain Marvel, well, the sad thing is that that seems to be a hangover from the 70's Shazam! series as well as Giffen using him on Justice League for like six issues. But the World's Finest stuff, although sometimes having some goofy stuff going on (like Captain Nazi being sent all over town to get things for Beautia so she will marry him), never had the characters themselves be goofy.

Then compare it to depictions like in Justice and Power of Hope and I really see "goofy" as a problem with the writers, not the character. I once saw it described as Captain Marvel lived in a whimsical world, but he himself was more of a straight man to all the craziness. And in comics craziness should be embraced. I mean, it's all goofy, but if you don't tell readers that a man running fast and fighting guys who dress up in flamboyant costumes is goofy, than they'll just buy it and come along for the ride.

Unfortunately, there seems to be either an editorial idea or just an ingrained idea in some writers that Captain Marvel is "goofy" and must always be written that way, even though a version like what was seen in Justice comes along and is well received they don't follow up on it, they instead go the Trials route and pretty much scrap everything in an effort to make the character more serious.

That's one of the frustrating things for me being a Marvel Family fan, is just how ingrained the idea that the characters have to be stupid or something even though for the majority of their history they were never portrayed that way.

Oh, and I love Freddy as well and I like Black Adam, although I would like to see him given a rest (especially since so much has happened since 52 it's hard to tell where the character should be). I am curious to see how things go with Osiris in Brightest Day as I enjoyed him a lot too. (and love the costume)

However, I don't think that the Marvel Family has to be made less in order to advance the Black Marvel Family, yet that seems to be what is done every time Black Adam shows up.

Old April 15th, 2010   Amentep is offline   #4
Amentep

The Adventure Comics digests come after the World's Finest series.

There was a 1970s collection of the full MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL serial. DC announced they too would collect the series, but as far as I know that collection has yet to materialize (possibly they anticipated reprinting it for the long languishing movie?)

I think part of DC's general problem is that they always see Cap as a clone of Superman and keep trying to fit him into Superman stories (but make him different from Superman - hence they make him naive to the point of being dim). It probably doesn't help that people seem to not really like "classic good guys" anymore.

He's a great character but one that DC just hasn't been able to do right, IMO (but in that, he's not alone).

Old April 15th, 2010   thunderdude is offline   #5
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I was actually wondering if that MONSTER SOCIETY reprint ever came out. DC hasn't really done much to promote Captain Marvel since he was on TV years ago. If it wasn't for Geoff Alex Ross and Roy Thomas, I'm not sure he'd even still be around. I do like some of what Judd Winick did Sivana, but I think a reboot is needed.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old April 16th, 2010   Jay West is offline   #6
Jay West
Advanced Geoffan

I love general threads. Makes it easier to talk about something IMO than a new post every time a character sneezes. I like the Marvels quite a bit. I'd love a Marvel series by Geoff and Bagley.

I really disliked evil Mary in Countdown. I see no reason why we couldn't have kept the character fairly innocent.

It looks like the Black Marvel family will get some play in Brightest Day. I really want to see Billy turn up somewhere. I thought trials was ok, but their redesign of Billy was horrible. I don't mind Freddy taking over, but would have preferred Billy depowered for a time instead of whatever it was they tried to do.

I wonder if Marvels will show up in the new JLI series since both writers have good deal of history with the Marvel Family.

Old April 17th, 2010   Marvelman ver.02 is offline   #7
Marvelman ver.02
Neo Geoffan

I disliked The Trials of Shazam. I think it was an average series, but it was just not the concept that is going to interest a whole new generation of readers in the world's mightiest mortal. It also took Captain Marvel out of a successful book, JSA, a situation in which he was flourishing in my opinion. Outside of that, I think the best version of the Marvels has been MSOE.

Old April 19th, 2010   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #8
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

There was a 1970s collection of the full MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL serial. DC announced they too would collect the series, but as far as I know that collection has yet to materialize (possibly they anticipated reprinting it for the long languishing movie?)
ddf
Amentep View Post
I had heard about that but it just slipped my mind. I am wondering when the new reprint of Monster Society of Evil is coming out. From what I've heard that 70's reprint is really hard to find (and is expensive).

I think part of DC's general problem is that they always see Cap as a clone of Superman and keep trying to fit him into Superman stories (but make him different from Superman - hence they make him naive to the point of being dim). It probably doesn't help that people seem to not really like "classic good guys" anymore.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Tell me about it. If I were writing Captain Marvel Superman wouldn't be seen in the book for ages. I really think the biggest problem DC has with CM is of their own making, there seems to be an all empowering idea that Cap IS a Supes clone and thus must be put in Superman stories, and must always be paired up with Superman when you try to promote the character AND must at some point fight Superman. I also think they (editorial) think CM must be childlike. Very frustrating.

I was actually wondering if that MONSTER SOCIETY reprint ever came out. DC hasn't really done much to promote Captain Marvel since he was on TV years ago. If it wasn't for Geoff Alex Ross and Roy Thomas, I'm not sure he'd even still be around. I do like some of what Judd Winick did Sivana, but I think a reboot is needed.
ddf
thunderdude View Post
Something needs to be done, and Trials wasn't the answer. I do know a lot creators have expressed interest in CM as a character (or the Marvel Family as a whole) so I think someone will always want to work with them. But I think some serious effort needs to be made to make them viable (like get them back to their roots and explore what makes them special).

I really disliked evil Mary in Countdown. I see no reason why we couldn't have kept the character fairly innocent.
ddf
Jay West View Post
*Shudders* Countdown was such a mess and I still don't see the point. What really killed me is not only what they did to her character, but also that they didn't even bother to tell a decent story with it.

It looks like the Black Marvel family will get some play in Brightest Day. I really want to see Billy turn up somewhere. I thought trials was ok, but their redesign of Billy was horrible. I don't mind Freddy taking over, but would have preferred Billy depowered for a time instead of whatever it was they tried to do.
ddf
Jay West View Post
I like Osiris and Black Adam can be interesting, but I am kinda sick of seeing BA everywhere. I am interested in Osiris' story/journey, but I'm hoping Brightest Day doesn't bring BA back. If nothing else that should be done in a Marvel centric story that brings the whole family back.

As for Trials, I personally did not like it. Didn't like what they did with Billy, didn't like how the characters were portrayed, didn't like how Freddy was aged, didn't like Freddy's CMJ costume going away (I love the look of Captain Marvel Jr.) and honestly don't like Freddy as the "main" guy. Now I love Freddy, and CMJ as a character, (he's actually my second favorite Marvel behind Mary and it is close) but I think he works better as the "younger" version of the character.

Just like how Superboy gets to act a certain way and be in stories that Superman can't, I see Captain Marvel Jr. being able to act and be a certain way that he can't as the "head" of the Marvel Family. So I would prefer to see Freddy find success as CMJ because I honestly think that will be more fun than if he finds it as 'Shazam'

I wonder if Marvels will show up in the new JLI series since both writers have good deal of history with the Marvel Family.
ddf
Jay West View Post
Kinda hope not as I haven't liked what Giffen has done with them in the past. Although I did like the "Formerly Known As/Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" stories I really don't want that to be where the Marvels get showcased.

I disliked The Trials of Shazam. I think it was an average series, but it was just not the concept that is going to interest a whole new generation of readers in the world's mightiest mortal. It also took Captain Marvel out of a successful book, JSA, a situation in which he was flourishing in my opinion. Outside of that, I think the best version of the Marvels has been MSOE.
ddf
Marvelman ver.02 View Post
Good points. I have a lot of issues with Trials (some of them mentioned above) but I don't want to derail the thread. His portrayal in JSA wasn't my favorite, but I thought it was a good place for him and wished he had stayed because I feel like that was the best opportunity to build him back up as a character and delve more into the Marvel Family mythos.

Old April 19th, 2010   MikeGelbwasser is offline   #9
MikeGelbwasser
Neo Geoffan

Steph,

The 1987 "New Beginning" mini is actually very good (although the Wikipedia entry says otherwise). Solid story by the Thomases and Tom Mandrake.

I've always preferred Cap over Superman because Cap, frankly, doesn't always win handily.

My first Superman was the Pre-Crisis version, who nonchalantly pushed planets back into orbit. And only green rocks and magic could hurt him.

Cap, meanwhile, works for his victories.

And he always seems more relaxed when he does.

DC has interpreted that as goofiness or whimsy. Isn't it really a sense of awe, which Superman lacks?

Old April 20th, 2010   Wally West888 is offline   #10
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

I loved Trials of Shazam and 52 but I didn't like The JSA storyline that took away Billy's powers, Geoff and Jerry made Billy look really weak when he should've been able to beat both Black Adam and Isis with a flick of his finger.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old April 20th, 2010   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

Steph,

The 1987 "New Beginning" mini is actually very good (although the Wikipedia entry says otherwise). Solid story by the Thomases and Tom Mandrake.
ddf
MikeGelbwasser View Post
I didn't like it, personally, reading it when it came out. And I'm a fan of Roy Thomas and Tom Mandrake.

Old April 20th, 2010   KevinTBrown is offline   #12
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

Seriously, if you love Captain Marvel, start buying Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam. The art by Mike Norton is PERFECT for the character.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old April 20th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #13
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

The big split with Captain Marvel is whether you think Captain Marvel should have Billy's mind and thoughts just supplemented by the wisdom of Solomon or whether you think Captain Marvel should be his own entity.

That's the big debate in my mind. I've read Monster Society of Evil. I've read a lot of the earlier Captain Marvel comics as well (and that means I've read dozens of the "Captain Marvel goes to this city" formula, which were a lot of fun and had to be great for kids in those cities when they finally got to their city). I've read my share of the 70s stuff too. And I've read all of Ordway's Power of Shazam and most of the modern usages of Billy including in JLI and JSA and what have you, and obviously Jeff Smith's stuff (which my kid loves because he's a big Bone fan too) and some of the new DC Kids stuff too.

And... yeah, I fall under the mindset that I like him as Billy with the powers. I think he's a lot more interesting and you can do a lot more character development with him. Billy's the best kid in the world. He loses so much but still has such a positive outlook on life. Having to deal with the responsibility of all this power with such a can-do kid's attitude makes for an earnest, heartfelt character. There's a lot of development possible as Billy grows and sees the darkness in the world, so long as he never lets go of his positivity, so long as he always overcomes and doesn't lose his heart.

I find the Captain Marvel as a separate entity take to have Cap as too much of a force of nature, more of the trickster Superman/Superboy that Jerry Siegel loved so much. Always smiling. Always playing pranks on the bad guys. There's just no room for character development or growth. There didn't need to be in the 40s. There didn't really need to be in the 70s. The idea of Captain Marvel as a one-dimensional force of nature seems like a waste to me.

Old April 20th, 2010   sylpemberton is offline   #14
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

ddf
Marvelman ver.02 View Post
Ummm. No. The arc that Captain Marvel had in JSA was planned to end where it did. Geoff had telegraphed that months before Captain Marvel actually left. If any creator at DC had the pull to keep a character on a book it would have been Geoff by that point, after all he was the architect behind Infinite Crisis by then...

Can't blame "Trials" for taking Cap out of the JSA. He was already out of that book by that time...

Old April 20th, 2010   stephbarton v.2 is offline   #15
stephbarton v.2
You can't see me...

Seriously, if you love Captain Marvel, start buying Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam. The art by Mike Norton is PERFECT for the character.
ddf
KevinTBrown View Post
Already on my pull list. It is a great book and I'm really happy they put Mike Norton on art because it is a great rendition of the character. In fact I think a new issue comes out this week.

The big split with Captain Marvel is whether you think Captain Marvel should have Billy's mind and thoughts just supplemented by the wisdom of Solomon or whether you think Captain Marvel should be his own entity.

That's the big debate in my mind. I've read Monster Society of Evil. I've read a lot of the earlier Captain Marvel comics as well (and that means I've read dozens of the "Captain Marvel goes to this city" formula, which were a lot of fun and had to be great for kids in those cities when they finally got to their city). I've read my share of the 70s stuff too. And I've read all of Ordway's Power of Shazam and most of the modern usages of Billy including in JLI and JSA and what have you, and obviously Jeff Smith's stuff (which my kid loves because he's a big Bone fan too) and some of the new DC Kids stuff too.

And... yeah, I fall under the mindset that I like him as Billy with the powers. I think he's a lot more interesting and you can do a lot more character development with him. Billy's the best kid in the world. He loses so much but still has such a positive outlook on life. Having to deal with the responsibility of all this power with such a can-do kid's attitude makes for an earnest, heartfelt character. There's a lot of development possible as Billy grows and sees the darkness in the world, so long as he never lets go of his positivity, so long as he always overcomes and doesn't lose his heart.

I find the Captain Marvel as a separate entity take to have Cap as too much of a force of nature, more of the trickster Superman/Superboy that Jerry Siegel loved so much. Always smiling. Always playing pranks on the bad guys. There's just no room for character development or growth. There didn't need to be in the 40s. There didn't really need to be in the 70s. The idea of Captain Marvel as a one-dimensional force of nature seems like a waste to me.
ddf
MattDiCarlo View Post
The problem is if "Billy supplemented by the Wisdom of Solomon" is a naive person with a child like mind than the character is no good. Even though "Wisdom of Solomon" would imply that the character isn't stupid or goofy, writers/editors seem to struggle with the concept.

I see Captain Marvel as a guy who has the heart of Billy, but is also very wise. To me CM shouldn't be a naive guy, instead he should be the guy who actually knows very well what is going on, but chooses to do what is right and good. Many today take this to mean that he is naive, but rather I see it as a conscious choice on his part to see the good in others, even if they haven't done anything to deserve it.

I also agree the Billy is an amazing kid, if I were in charge of the Marvels the first thing I would do is reestablish the kids. I think one problem with CM lately has been that people have looked at CM and not Billy, and unfortunately the few times they did they had Billy be whiny instead of the courageous and plucky guy he is.

Billy, Mary and Freddy aren't masquerading as mild-mannered folks or spoiled brats, instead they are themselves, and when they turn into the Marvels their personalities carry over, but only with more power and wisdom than before.

One thing I don't want to see is CM talking like a 12 year old. If anything when Billy is CM you think he would act more like he thinks an adult should act and not like a kid in an adult's body. Cause a kid in an adult's body is the portrayal of CM I like the least.

Old April 20th, 2010   MattDiCarlo is offline   #16
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

I think it's more important that he's has the intelligence of Solomon, not the Wisdom. Intelligence is knowing all the options. Wisdom is choosing the right one, and they should go out of their way to retcon it so it's the former and not the latter if they're going to use the Billy as Captain Marvel concept.