The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Convention Season and Cosplay

Convention Season and Cosplay Where are you going? Who are you going to meet there? Who are you going to be?

Old July 13th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #17
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

A nice piece on convention etiquette that's more often than not neglected?

A shower beforehand. Use soap.

Deodorant is also not totally out of line.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 13th, 2006   Jason Truong is offline   #18
Jason Truong
Neo Geoffan

ddf
TJLamb0518
Also, add in some cologne, and clean clothing.

Old July 13th, 2006   MattmanBegins is offline   #19
MattmanBegins
The"Until Death"Horseman

ddf
Jason Truong

Maybe a shave or combing of hair (body hair included...in both).

Until Death, my comic book writing debut, is AVAILABLE NOW!!! Purchase it here: http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=1858
Old July 13th, 2006   Heather M Jordan is offline   #20
Heather M Jordan
Drowned Duck Horsewoman

ddf
TJLamb0518
and please, for the love of god, wipe your face clean with a napkin after eating!!

Drowned Duck
The ComicBloc Radio Group

Now Playing: City of Heroes (@Tiger Lady), Aion, & Guild Wars (Trial By Mage)
Old July 13th, 2006   Greg Owens is offline   #21
Greg Owens
Up Top Horseman

You can wear a comic book themed T-shirt or one of those garish silk screened button downs but you don't have to. It is the equivalant to going to a concert buying a shirt on the way in and then wearing it for the show.
We all know your a super fan or you wouldn't be there in the first place. But it's your choice. But regardless of what shirt you wear it should be clean above all else.

"Nick, and I've told you this for years now, Greg is absolutely right."

Evilscratch
Old July 13th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #22
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
Jason Truong

Clean Clothing, yes.

Cologne? NO. It's close quarters and a little dab with most certainly not do you. Not smelling like Manhattan in August will be sufficient.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 13th, 2006   wickedwrister31 is offline   #23
wickedwrister31
Thomas P.

Clean Clothing, yes.

Cologne? NO. It's close quarters and a little dab with most certainly not do you. Not smelling like Manhattan in August will be sufficient.
ddf
TJLamb0518
"It has bits of real panther in it, that way you know it's good."

"That, young man, is how babies are made."
Old July 13th, 2006   kadymae is offline   #24
kadymae
Neo Geoffan

General advice --

1) The Tic-Tac is your friend.
2) Please, thank you, and a smile.

My advice is to get a hardbound 8x10 sketchbook of blank, acid free paper.

Also, never rip a page out of the book and here's why:

I have a sketch in my first sketch book from a very famous Artist who very rarely does sketches. If you buy one of his limited edition books or one of his expensive lithographs, you'll get a small remarque.

So, when, at my seccond SDCC, I first got to know this Artist, I asked I could get a sketch and he politely told me no that he doesn't do sketches. We spoke for about 45 more minutes and I bought a few of his originals. Later that con he asked if he could see my sketchbook, so I brought it out and told him the story behind a few of the sketches --like how I had twice been offered $30 for this Rob Walton Grendel sketch -- and I had some nice freebees from people who it's a bit harder to get sketches from.

The Artist also made a point of looking at every. single. page. instead of just leafing through it.

The Artist picked up a pen and spent 45 minutes putting a very detailed drawing in my book.

The next year, when I was chit-chatting with the Artist he asked to see my sketch book and, once again, looked at the whole thing and listened to the stories behind some of the new sketches, and then he showed the sketch he did for me to his Friends on either side of him.

Later on, when the Artist was at a panel, I was chatting with one of his Friends (who also doesn't do sketches but had, out of the blue, graciously put a quick headshot in my book) and Friend explained that the first time the Artist went through the book, he was looking for missing pages. And when the Artist had asked to see the book again this con, he was looking to see if it was still there.

And by the way, the fact that that first sketch was still there was the reason that Friend chose to put a sketch in my book. And also, because my book was hardbound (and not spiral bound) there would be no hiding it if I got greedy and sold the pages on eBay.

So that, my friends, is why I always have a hardbound book and allow nobody (not even an artist who's "messed up") to remove pages from it.

Katherine Keller
Editrix In Chief
Sequential Tart
"Have Brass Ovaries, Will Travel"
Old July 13th, 2006   kadymae is offline   #25
kadymae
Neo Geoffan

Don't be an Ebayer. I see time after time the same guys that go to shows and get sketches just to sell. They have not intention of keeping what they get. I have never sold any of my art. That is not to say that I would not sell some if I needed a new kidney or something like that. Also, I like to get my sketches personalized.
ddf
grimston1

Word. I've never sold a sketch out of a sketchbook.

And the only time original art from my collection has gone for sale, it's been for a charity auction.

ETA: ST Article on the ins and outs of buying original art.
Last edited by kadymae; July 13th, 2006 at 12:40 PM.

Katherine Keller
Editrix In Chief
Sequential Tart
"Have Brass Ovaries, Will Travel"
Old July 13th, 2006   Sharis the Bunny is offline   #26
Sharis the Bunny
Hare today...

This is very good advice. I know my son would love some skecthes when we go to WW-Dallas in the fall.
ddf
RedSoxFan
RSF, somehow kids are almost always exempt from the "etiquette" thing. Usually, they can totally score really great, free sketches, even from the busiest artists. You just have to teach them how to milk that cuteness factor. Ask Son-O-Scratch, he totally nailed it, his first show! He scored from people who were busy, or charging huge fees, and he got some brilliant sketches without paying a penny!

I think it's because everybody's got a soft spot for little kids. And, it helps to start 'em off young and get 'em hooked! Today's geek-in-training is tomorrow's avid reader/collector with money to spend!

Good luck at WWTX! I hope I'll get to see you guys there!

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Old July 13th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #27
John Hays
Lovin life!

I asked someone for a Composite Superman sketch last year at WWDallas, but a certain Van Sciver was just too busy!

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old July 13th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #28
John Hays
Lovin life!

RSF, somehow kids are almost always exempt from the "etiquette" thing. Usually, they can totally score really great, free sketches, even from the busiest artists. You just have to teach them how to milk that cuteness factor. Ask Son-O-Scratch, he totally nailed it, his first show! He scored from people who were busy, or charging huge fees, and he got some brilliant sketches without paying a penny!

I think it's because everybody's got a soft spot for little kids. And, it helps to start 'em off young and get 'em hooked! Today's geek-in-training is tomorrow's avid reader/collector with money to spend!

Good luck at WWTX! I hope I'll get to see you guys there!
ddf
Sharis the Bunny
So the lesson is, bring random kid to score all your sketches...check!

Old July 13th, 2006   Sharis the Bunny is offline   #29
Sharis the Bunny
Hare today...

I asked someone for a Composite Superman sketch last year at WWDallas, but a certain Van Sciver was just too busy!
ddf
John Hays

*sighing* When will you people learn? Behind every great male artist is a wife/girlfriend you've gotta bribe to make sure you get the sketch!

I like Maseratis.

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Old July 13th, 2006   MattmanBegins is offline   #30
MattmanBegins
The"Until Death"Horseman

*sighing* When will you people learn? Behind every great male artist is a wife/girlfriend you've gotta bribe to make sure you get the sketch!

I like Maseratis.
ddf
Sharis the Bunny

Keep likin' 'em, cause you won't be drivin' one anytime soon!

Until Death, my comic book writing debut, is AVAILABLE NOW!!! Purchase it here: http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/pr...oducts_id=1858
Old July 13th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #31
John Hays
Lovin life!

I like Maseratis.
ddf
Sharis the Bunny
That's a Scandinavian dish, right?

Old July 13th, 2006   Jason Truong is offline   #32
Jason Truong
Neo Geoffan

My advice is to get a hardbound 8x10 sketchbook of blank, acid free paper.

Also, never rip a page out of the book and here's why:

I have a sketch in my first sketch book from a very famous Artist who very rarely does sketches. If you buy one of his limited edition books or one of his expensive lithographs, you'll get a small remarque.

So, when, at my seccond SDCC, I first got to know this Artist, I asked I could get a sketch and he politely told me no that he doesn't do sketches. We spoke for about 45 more minutes and I bought a few of his originals. Later that con he asked if he could see my sketchbook, so I brought it out and told him the story behind a few of the sketches --like how I had twice been offered $30 for this Rob Walton Grendel sketch -- and I had some nice freebees from people who it's a bit harder to get sketches from.

The Artist also made a point of looking at every. single. page. instead of just leafing through it.

The Artist picked up a pen and spent 45 minutes putting a very detailed drawing in my book.

The next year, when I was chit-chatting with the Artist he asked to see my sketch book and, once again, looked at the whole thing and listened to the stories behind some of the new sketches, and then he showed the sketch he did for me to his Friends on either side of him.

Later on, when the Artist was at a panel, I was chatting with one of his Friends (who also doesn't do sketches but had, out of the blue, graciously put a quick headshot in my book) and Friend explained that the first time the Artist went through the book, he was looking for missing pages. And when the Artist had asked to see the book again this con, he was looking to see if it was still there.

And by the way, the fact that that first sketch was still there was the reason that Friend chose to put a sketch in my book. And also, because my book was hardbound (and not spiral bound) there would be no hiding it if I got greedy and sold the pages on eBay.

So that, my friends, is why I always have a hardbound book and allow nobody (not even an artist who's "messed up") to remove pages from it.
ddf
kadymae
Sonuva... Darwyn Cooke messed up in my book, and ripped that page outta my book (he asked me before he ripped it out). Oh well, the sacrifice I made to get a [email protected]$$ Wonder Woman sketch from him.

Well, luckily for me, I pretty much filled up that book, and am working on another sketch book.