The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 19th, 2010   achilles140 is offline   #17
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

In my estimation, they pretty much destroyed any interest I had in the character when they cut her ties to the Earth-2 they had so meticulously (not!) set-up in 52. I had been hoping they would use Power Girl as a launching pad for the first Multi-verse series and was excited to maybe have her move to this Earth and set up shop there. When that didn't happen, which I see as a complete and utterly bad decision on the part of DC--I just never bothered to pick up the series and I highly doubt I ever will--I also doubt I'm the only one that feels that they jacked us around by having her work so hard to find her one, true home--only to find out that it was gone. But if DC wants a way around this--feel free to look me up, I have a very eloquent and creative way to fix things...

Grem-
ddf
Gremlin View Post
Just to point out how easy it would be for Jimmy and Justin to change that IF they want to at some point. All it takes is to further 'explain' matters by having an issue where it is shown that Dr. Fate and the Spectre created Power Girl #2 in order to encourage 'our' PG to leave. The hard part is coming up with a rationale for why 'our' PG's presence there would be harmful if she does indeed belong to that universe.

But it does bring some resolution to that otherwise puzzling bit between the Spectre and Dr. Fate at the start of the mini-arc.

Old January 19th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #18
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I think the purpose of that arc was that it was a "You can't always go home" situation. Karen wanted so much to go back to her "real" home that she didn't take into consideration what was already here for her and has had for a long time. She also failed to consider that she might have liked what she found if she got her wish. The point of the arc was to show her that you can't always dwell on the past, and to enjoy what you have in the here and now. Earth-2 isn't her home anymore, New Earth, with our Justice Society and Super-Family, is her home.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old January 19th, 2010   achilles140 is offline   #19
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I think the purpose of that arc was that it was a "You can't always go home" situation. Karen wanted so much to go back to her "real" home that she didn't take into consideration what was already here for her and has had for a long time. She also failed to consider that she might have liked what she found if she got her wish. The point of the arc was to show her that you can't always dwell on the past, and to enjoy what you have in the here and now. Earth-2 isn't her home anymore, New Earth, with our Justice Society and Super-Family, is her home.
ddf
michealdark View Post

That could have been done so much better simply by having her go through the emotional struggle where she considers which Earth she truly belongs to now---and realizing that she's perhaps outgrown Earth-2. It would have been so much more poignant and would have made the point better if she had simply chosen to go back to New Earth. The only thing it would have cost would have been a few clumsy fight scenes, and some scenes showing the JSI acting more like villains than heroes.

I would have been somewhat more difficult to write, but the payoff in terms of Kara's character would have been so much greater.

Old January 19th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #20
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I totally agree. But Geoff isn't the first guy I think of when it comes to subtlety. I'm not saying Geoff isn't good at character moments, and couldn't have showcased that brilliantly in the way you're suggesting, just that Geoff's more of an action-oriented guy and would rather drive home the point by punching you in the face with it. And that's what he did here. Rather than go through her going through all the emotions of deciding Earth-2 isn't her place anymore, he decided to just say "She can't go back because it's not her home anymore. It belongs to a new set of characters now!"

RIP Tara
Old January 19th, 2010   achilles140 is offline   #21
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I totally agree. But Geoff isn't the first guy I think of when it comes to subtlety. I'm not saying Geoff isn't good at character moments, and couldn't have showcased that brilliantly in the way you're suggesting, just that Geoff's more of an action-oriented guy and would rather drive home the point by punching you in the face with it. And that's what he did here. Rather than go through her going through all the emotions of deciding Earth-2 isn't her place anymore, he decided to just say "She can't go back because it's not her home anymore. It belongs to a new set of characters now!"
ddf
michealdark View Post
You know, I believe there actually was some face punching there...

Old January 19th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #22
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I believe there was copious amounts of it.

RIP Tara
Old January 19th, 2010   ConnorFan is offline   #23
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I bought issue 7, and I doubt I will do more than flip through 8. I felt the book lacked intensity and was trying too hard to be an insiders type of book. I can definitely see what the people who like this title see in it, but just not my cup of tea. I like my humor more in the secret six fashion, with a dark twisted sensibility. I didn't really buy the threat, and it felt to me like the villains and even other characters (Dr. Midnite) were add ons, to be thrown out or carried out with little impact.

The art is fantastic but on it's own not really worth the price tag from my POV.

Old January 19th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #24
Neo God
Geoffan

I bought issue 7, and I doubt I will do more than flip through 8. I felt the book lacked intensity and was trying too hard to be an insiders type of book. I can definitely see what the people who like this title see in it, but just not my cup of tea. I like my humor more in the secret six fashion, with a dark twisted sensibility. I didn't really buy the threat, and it felt to me like the villains and even other characters (Dr. Midnite) were add ons, to be thrown out or carried out with little impact.

The art is fantastic but on it's own not really worth the price tag from my POV.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
I agree with this.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old January 19th, 2010   BrianT is offline   #25
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Reasons I haven't tried the title:

1. Never been into the character. Not much exposure either, but what I have read hasn't left a mark for me. More negative than positive, anyway.

2. Don't buy any of the other JSA titles anymore, so they wouldn't compel me to try this one.

3. Being pretty much a stand alone series makes it easy to wait for trade, since that's my preferred format, anyway.

4. Haven't read a solicit yet that caught my interest either storyline-wise or villain.

None of this is a reflection on the creative team. I like Gray and Palmiotti and definitely Conner.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old January 20th, 2010   zekeman1 is offline   #26
zekeman1
Master Geoffan

i can't find any copies at my local shop. i hope it's because it's selling out.

bob

ben, does it have a hemi ?
Old January 20th, 2010   BrianT is offline   #27
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

i can't find any copies at my local shop. i hope it's because it's selling out.
ddf
zekeman1 View Post
Chances are your retailer isn't ordering many, if any, shelf copies. If you want one, you're probably gonna have to ask him to order it for you.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page