The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 7th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Batman #695 Discussion Thread (with Preview)

Out Jan 13th, Tony Daniel's run continues as Batman seeks to stop Black Mask and a gang war with the Penguin's aid.

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/01...ls-batman-695/

Should be good, Daniel has really impressed me on this arc so far.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 14th, 2010   CatsMeow is offline   #2
CatsMeow
persona non grata

I quite enjoyed this issue, if only for the Catwoman goodness. Kitrina's identity seems to be a mystery...is she Mario's niece, sister, or daughter? Hmm...

Old January 14th, 2010   Hierarch555 is offline   #3
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

Wasn't Tony's best issue, art or writing wise imo. I liked Batman in Batgirl 6 over this.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old January 14th, 2010   General grievous is offline   #4
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

I actually thought it was the best issue of the story arc so far. Plenty of action and the plot moved forward quite well. The art was extra stunning this issue.

So catwoman and kitrina could be sisters?

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old January 14th, 2010   CatsMeow is offline   #5
CatsMeow
persona non grata

Only if you believe Carmine Falcone is Selina's father and not Brian Kyle. I believe the latter.

Old January 14th, 2010   General grievous is offline   #6
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Only if you believe Carmine Falcone is Selina's father and not Brian Kyle. I believe the latter.
ddf
CatsMeow View Post
Catwoman's dialogue led me to believe so.......Unless it is a red herring.

Old January 14th, 2010   RoseWilson is offline   #7
RoseWilson
Advanced Geoffan

I think their going for some kind of strong connection between them. I find Kitrina pretty interesting so far. I liked this a lot more than Batgirl as far as this weeks regular Bat titles are concerned though I seem to be in the minority.

Old January 14th, 2010   CatsMeow is offline   #8
CatsMeow
persona non grata

Catwoman's dialogue led me to believe so.......Unless it is a red herring.
ddf
General grievous View Post
It's never been confirmed in any comic. In Dark Victory and When in Rome, she thought she might be his daughter but never found any concrete proof. Jeph Loeb has never stated if she is or isn't, so if Tony Daniel says she is, it's a new development.

Old January 14th, 2010   RetroWarbird is offline   #9
RetroWarbird
Geoffan

I think their going for some kind of strong connection between them. I find Kitrina pretty interesting so far. I liked this a lot more than Batgirl as far as this weeks regular Bat titles are concerned though I seem to be in the minority.
ddf
RoseWilson View Post
Not the minority. I think Daniel's run is shaping up to be some of the best Batman stuff I've ever read - whether some readers feel Dick is pretty much just "Bruce with a different name" or not (I don't).

Anything that makes Penguin and Riddler awesome again (Riddler is my favorite), sets a bit of an "Old Rogues" vs. "New Rogues" angle, brings back the Falcones, has three major mysteries going on, and looks that good, I pretty much have to love. Of course, there's not much to go on about at length, other than every issue makes me want the next issue even more, and man does it look good.

On Catwoman's purported Falcone connection: Whether she wound up actually being Carmine's daughter or not was the subject of When In Rome - but either way, her comments still work. While Tony implies the old Falcone connection, Selina still looked into it at great deal, went to Italy, learned more about the Falcones than pretty much anybody, to get her answer.

So it works either way. I really like Mario Falcone, by the way.

Nekron. Comic Con. Necronomicon.
GIVE ADVENTURE COMICS BACK TO AQUAMAN
Old January 15th, 2010   General grievous is offline   #10
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

so who is the new black mask?

Tony will reveal next issue.

I still say Hush-Tommy Elliot.

Old January 15th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #11
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Good issue though I'm still not keen on the Riddler developments.

Tony Daniel continues to impress with this arc though and I'm happy to see more bat characters like Huntress being used and used pretty well.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old January 18th, 2010   HaroldAllnut is offline   #12
HaroldAllnut

I'm enjoying Daniels' work quite a bit. I find the writing somewhat reminiscent of Chuck Dixon's earlier work on the title back in the 90s. Sandu Florea does a nice job of coloring, as well.

Here are spoilers for anyone who is interested:

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The book opens with Batman roughly interrogating Doctor Singh, who claims he was threatened by Kitrina Falcone for access to Genecore Labs. Batman then heads over to the Falcone Mansion, just as Mario's thugs discover that Kitrina escaped the deathtrap they left her in last issue. Batman interrogates the thugs, and they--like Doctor Singh--don't know where she is. He dislikes their answer, and blows up the mansion.

Catwoman catches Kitrina in an abandoned animal shelter in Gotham City proper, thrashes her, and ties her up. She and Kitrina discuss the maps of Devil's Square that Kitrina made.

Batman visits Doctor Jeremiah Arkham at Arkham Asylum, and gets a consult regarding the psychosis of the new Black Mask. Dr. Arkham posits that Black Mask is potentially someone with "newfound wealth," which would explain his meteoric rise to power.

Huntress tails Mario Falcone, and sees him get ambushed by the Reaper, who exhibits super-strength and a willingness to use lethal force. Batman arrives in time to help Huntress take on the Reaper, who sees his own reflection and complains that "[his] face is rotting." Huntress secures Mario Falcone, who had the drop on Batman with a gun; to solve the problem, she broke his arm. Batman briefly has the upper hand in his fight, but the Reaper doses him with gaseous toxins and makes good his escape.

Damien and Alfred talk in the cave, while Damien practices martial arts. Alfred reminds him that Dick wanted him to examine the masks that Black Mask fits his henchmen with. Damien dismisses it, until he noticed a bead of his sweat fall and hit the mask. The sweat sizzles on the lens and evaporates.

Catwoman and Batman meet in the abandoned animal shelter, only to find that Kitrina has escaped and taken her maps with her.

Batman gets a lead on Kitrina's potential location from Oracle and heads off to investigate. The Riddler sees him pass and mentions it to the Penguin, who he is having a telephone conversation with. The Riddler "fires [the Penguin] as a client" because he is slowly beginning to remember "things" and "fragments" of a past that was unknown to him previously. Penguin does not take kindly to this news.

Batman reaches the Fairmount Amusement Park, which has been "abandoned for nearly eight years," until it was recently bought by the Mad Hatter. He follows a fleeing figure into the funhouse and the mirrors inside shatter; Batman is attacked by a murder of crows with poisoned beaks and passes out.

We then see Batman fitted with one of Black Mask's gasmasks by none other than... THE PENGUIN and THE MAD HATTER!

...some readers feel Dick is pretty much just "Bruce with a different name" or not (I don't).

So it works either way. I really like Mario Falcone, by the way.
ddf
RetroWarbird View Post
I think Tony Daniel does a great job of changing Batman's demeanor to match Dick's, rather than Bruce's. For one thing, he's certainly more vocal. Also, his interactions with and willingness to accept help from other heroes are much greater than Bruce's ever were.

I don't care much for Mario Falcone, so far.

so who is the new black mask?

Tony will reveal next issue.

I still say Hush-Tommy Elliot.
ddf
General grievous View Post
I think it's Mario Falcone himself. It's a perfectly valid explanation as to his sudden rise to power.

I think Hush is a bit too busy masquerading as Bruce Wayne to pull off yet another identity.

Good issue though I'm still not keen on the Riddler developments.

Tony Daniel continues to impress with this arc though and I'm happy to see more bat characters like Huntress being used and used pretty well.
ddf
oddballuk View Post
I think the Riddler will soon remember Batman's identity like he did in Batman: Hush. The only problem is that that is no longer Batman's identity.

I never much cared for the Huntress before now. I think Tony Daniel does a good job of writing her. Just the right amount of spunk.

"Use your left and be satisfied." -- Jim Riksheim
Old January 18th, 2010   Outburstt is offline   #13
Outburstt
Geoffan

Wasn't Tony's best issue, art or writing wise imo. I liked Batman in Batgirl 6 over this.
ddf
Hierarch555 View Post
Same for me, I also really like the Batman/Oracle banter from that issue.

Worry is a misuse of imagination.
Old January 18th, 2010   CatsMeow is offline   #14
CatsMeow
persona non grata

I think the Riddler will soon remember Batman's identity like he did in Batman: Hush. The only problem is that that is no longer Batman's identity.
ddf
Never thought of that. I like that idea! Would love to see Riddler come up with an elaborate plan to take down Tommy thinking he's Batman.

Old January 20th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #15
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I'm betting that the Riddler goes back to being a villain by issue #700 but when he finds out that Bruce isn't Batman he'll doubt what he thinks he learned before. That'll make things easy for when Bruce returns to being Batman.