The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 25th, 2006   marburger is offline   #1
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

Default Compare and Contrast Power Girl to X-men Rogue...

Both have been used by red-headed manliputive women, both have ruined lives with a spotted history, and both carry super strength and heat like powers. Both have a "family" that they could come to when they have problems.

But while Rouge tries to make peace with Ms. Marvel, into getting a somewhat friendship between the two of them according to the current Ms. Marvel series, Power girl has yet to make peace with Orcale.

While Rouge carries a imfamous on-and-off relationship with X-men Gambit, Power Girl has yet to find a love one and does the occasional flirting with other male heroes.

Also while it seems that Power girls knows of her origins, it's vague to understand the origins of Rouge.

Also Rouge can speak with a Southern accent while Power Girl can't.

Oh and who's the hotter heroine ?

Old November 25th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #2
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

There is an X-man named Rouge? I know that there is a Magenta in Rocky Horror Picture Show...

Grem-

Old November 25th, 2006   Eric is offline   #3
Eric
Adventurer/Man About Town

There is an X-man named Rouge? I know that there is a Magenta in Rocky Horror Picture Show...

Grem-
ddf
Gremlin View Post
Rouge has the power to make people blush.

...I guess Power Girl has that too. Heh.

Old November 25th, 2006   david is offline   #4
david
persona non grata

It's Rogue - I dislike that sort of mistake!

Old November 26th, 2006   achilles140 is offline   #5
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Misspelling aside, (I'm hardly one to talk about that sort of thing), a more apt comparison would be Power Girl to Ms. Marvel. They are basically the same character.

Also, Peege's relationship with Babs varies with the writer. Sometimes its been good, sometimes bad. It can get a bit confusing when Peege's okay with Babs in one comic, and hates her in the next......

Old November 27th, 2006   Dr Ray Palmer is offline   #6
Dr Ray Palmer
get your adverbs here

I have always said that personalitywise Rogue and Power Girl have some fundamental similarities, at least in the way Rogue was written in her early days with the X-Men. And those similarities are undoubtedly why they're two of my all-time favorite characters: they're brash; they charge into situations like a bull in a china shop; they tend to act first and think later, which sometimes gets them into trouble; they often overestimate their strength/invulnerability, which sometimes means they get in over their heads; they don't take crap from anybody; they're not big on taking orders.

At least, all that is the way I think Rogue is SUPPOSED to be written. That's certainly how Chris Claremont wrote her in the first 5 years of her existence or so. Then she spent most of the '90s whining and being a doormat. (Once she hooked up with Gambit, it was all downhill for her IMO.) Claremont started doing interesting things with her again in X-Treme X-Men, but then she got yanked out of his book and given to Austen, who made her passive and doormat-y again, and then Peter Milligan, who wrote one of the worst Rogues I've ever seen, taking her to new heights/depths of being mopey and dopey. Fortunately, Mike Carey seems to be getting back on-track with her, and writing her the way she was originally written: cocky, brash, in-your-face, all attitude and fists.

Power Girl certainly enjoys her powers, and Rogue always enjoyed the powers she stole from Ms. Marvel. That's one way in which I think early Rogue always stood out from most of the other X-Men: you rarely got a sense that most of the X-Men really enjoyed their powers, but you always felt that Rogue loved her flight, strength, and invulnerability. It made for an interesting contrast that she loved those powers so much but hated her other powers so much. That's why I think Rogue was a much more entertaining character when she had the Ms. Marvel powers.

Rogue and Power Girl certainly both love a good scrap, and to a degree enjoy fighting for fighting's sake. I've always thought the only X-Man who enjoys a good brawl as much as Rogue does is Wolverine, and the only JSAer who enjoys a good brawl as much as Peege does is Wildcat. (Maybe Hawkman.)

The other big thing I think Rogue and Peege share is a sense of isolation. As long as Rogue's absorption powers are out of control, she's going to be isolated, and she's going to be a tragic character. Power Girl's search for an origin and a place in the world has made her similarly isolated over the years.

I also agree with achilles140 that Power Girl and Ms. Marvel have some similarities, and were conceived to fill exactly the same role in the DCU and the Marvel U., but I think over the years their personalities have diverged somewhat, and I'm not sure how similar they are anymore. (I've found Carol Danvers to be all over the place characterwise, depending on who's writing her.) I don't think Ms. Marvel has quite the same sense of isolation that Rogue and Peege do, although Carol Danvers has never seemed to quite fit in anywhere, either.

Dr Ray Palmer :: I'm not microscopic, I'm just drawn that way
Old November 27th, 2006   Myth7 is offline   #7
Myth7
Advanced Geoffan

Both have been used by red-headed manliputive women, both have ruined lives with a spotted history, and both carry super strength and heat like powers. Both have a "family" that they could come to when they have problems.
D
ddf
marburger View Post
I resent that you call oracle manliputive.

"Stuck in a Groove" Puretone
Old November 27th, 2006   Dr Ray Palmer is offline   #8
Dr Ray Palmer
get your adverbs here

I resent that you call oracle manliputive.
ddf
Myth7 View Post
I love Oracle as much as anyone, but she is manipulative sometimes. Remember when Huntress quit the Birds for that very reason.

Dr Ray Palmer :: I'm not microscopic, I'm just drawn that way
Old November 27th, 2006   aflahive is offline   #9
aflahive
Advanced Geoffan

Can someone explain the Oracle/Powergirl conflict?
Thanks in advance.

Old November 27th, 2006   just_will is offline   #10
just_will
Neo Geoffan

Both have been used by red-headed manliputive women,
ddf
marburger View Post
Yes, I'm in the dark about this too...

Join the Nightwing fan club!
http://www.nightwingfanclub.com/
Old November 28th, 2006   marburger is offline   #11
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

Yes, I'm in the dark about this too...
ddf
just_will View Post

While PG and Oracle have different views on justice, Mystique and Rouge have a mother-daughter relationship in which the mother is an evil person while the daughter develops a conscience.

Old November 28th, 2006   just_will is offline   #12
just_will
Neo Geoffan

Thanks for the response. I did a little internet research. Apparently PG was one of Oracle's first operatives in BoP. And yes, the mission went very bad.

This should help anyone else who doesn't know the history of their bad blood:
http://community.livejournal.com/sca...70.html#cutid1

Join the Nightwing fan club!
http://www.nightwingfanclub.com/
Old November 28th, 2006   sylpemberton is offline   #13
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

The Power Girl / Oracle thing has been barely explored. There's been a couple of issues of Birds of Prey which bring it up, but it's far from the ongoing relationship that Rogue and Mystique share. And it's a fairly new development for PG and has been far from a defining part of the character for most of ther time...where as the Mystique thing goes back decades now...