The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 6th, 2006   BATELEUR is offline   #1
BATELEUR

Default Power Girl, the ONLY Girl of Steel

Okay, how many feel that DC has tried and failed ENOUGH times with Supergirl and should concentrate more on Power Girl? PG is, in my opinion, a far more interesting person. She certainly doesn’t dilute the uniqueness of Superman and she’s always been cooler than every single version of Supergirl.

Who can forget how Supergirl died during the CRISIS on Infinite Earths. Her last breath was spent praising Superman! “Clark <cough cough> You’re so good. That’s what inspired me all these years <cough cough> How good you are ….” …. BLECH, get me a bucket! Power Girl certainly wouldn’t have gone out like that!

Old September 6th, 2006   StarFlash is offline   #2
StarFlash
Geoffan

I disagree...I think Power Girl is the Nightwing to Supergirl's Robin. They both hold the title of Superman's cousin...but they approach things and see the world differently

Total SpeedFreak!
Old September 6th, 2006   slevin is offline   #3
slevin
Half animal, part party m

the man with no name
Old September 6th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #4
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

I disagree...I think Power Girl is the Nightwing to Supergirl's Robin. They both hold the title of Superman's cousin...but they approach things and see the world differently
ddf
StarFlash View Post
Teehee.

Grem-

Old September 7th, 2006   achilles140 is offline   #5
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Well, I'd agree with you that DC should start paying more attention to Power Girl; she's certainly proved she deserves a shot in her own monthly title, but they aren't going to abandon Supergirl any time soon. Sales of SG are too good at this point for it to be logical for them to drop her.

DC in fact does seem to have a somewhat confusing way of determining which characters get titles or minis. As far as I can determine, it depends on which characters have a partisan among the DC staff; not which characters would seem to resonate with the fans and sell well.

How else can you explain Wildstorm minis like "A Man Called Kev"; based on an unfunny and unoriginal minor character in the Authority sphere?

Still other titles seem to survive because they have their partisans at DC. Didio seems to have taken a shine to Manhunter, which seems the only reason it is still published, in spite of its awful sales levels. While Power Girl, who doesn't seem to have found any real fans among the DC staff; still doesn't have a title, or even another mini, despite having demonstrated her appeal to fans in a recent best selling mini and trade.

So it seems that sales don't entirely control the picture at DC. Despite losing Loeb, for whom SG seemed pretty much a vanity project, it doesn't seem likely though that SG will go the way of the dodo any time soon.

Old September 7th, 2006   ducko is offline   #6
ducko*
Bobby Timony

Okay, how many feel that DC has tried and failed ENOUGH times with Supergirl and should concentrate more on Power Girl?
ddf
BATELEUR View Post
Okay, I like Power Girl, but your argument that Supergirl "failed" simply isn't true. Honestly, when you say stuff like that, you just come off as a rabid frothing-at-the-mouth looney.

It's not like the folks at DC only have enough room in the budget for Supergirl OR Power Girl. This is Comics! We can have BOTH!

Old September 7th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #7
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

He said, "Looney!" Teehee.

Grem-

Old September 7th, 2006   Foolio_Displasius is offline   #8
Foolio_Displasius

Bah, the current Supergirl makes for an enjoyable team-up book. Every so often, those team-ups include Peege. Meanwhile, Peege remains with Geoff, and is a key member of the JSA.

I can live with that.

Rex Tyler - "Plus, if you live to be 100, we can always reboot you back to 1, and give you a foil-wrapped alternate diaper!"
Old September 7th, 2006   Stephen Henel is offline   #9
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

Never cared for either. Who needs them when we have Wonder Woman? And, by association, Wonder Girl.

As promised, tapping out.
Old September 7th, 2006   Gremlin is offline   #10
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Yeah, who needs more girl superheroes...I do!

Grem-

Old September 7th, 2006   BATELEUR is offline   #11
BATELEUR

Okay, this is what I said ....

Okay, how many feel that DC has tried and failed ENOUGH times with Supergirl and should concentrate more on Power Girl? PG is, in my opinion, a far more interesting person
ddf
And this was your response to what I said

Honestly, when you say stuff like that, you just come off as a rabid frothing-at-the-mouth looney.
ddf
Don't you think you're being a bit unreasonable in your assessment?

Old September 7th, 2006   jafabian is offline   #12
jafabian
I’m not dead.

If DC can find a way for Hal and Kyle to coexist and for Ollie and Connor to coexist, then Peege and Kara ain't no thing.....

Old September 7th, 2006   BATELEUR is offline   #13
BATELEUR

If DC can find a way for Hal and Kyle to coexist and for Ollie and Connor to coexist, then Peege and Kara ain't no thing.....
ddf
Well Hal and Kyle are two different people (and frankly I prefer the JLU John Stewart as THE Green Lantern over either of them), and Ollie and Connor are two different people ... but Supergirl is Kara Zor-El and Power Girl is Kara Zor-L ... the same character from two different Earthly realities. That carries some pretty strange baggage.

Old September 7th, 2006   Foolio_Displasius is offline   #14
Foolio_Displasius

but Supergirl is Kara Zor-El and Power Girl is Kara Zor-L ... the same character from two different Earthly realities. That carries some pretty strange baggage.
ddf
BATELEUR View Post
Agreed, but look how DC is handling them differently: Karen is a respected "elder" JSAer who also embodies camp, while Kara is young, mistrusted, and angstier than Nightwing. It's far from being two sides of the same person--they are two radically different characters, and are treated as such.

Rex Tyler - "Plus, if you live to be 100, we can always reboot you back to 1, and give you a foil-wrapped alternate diaper!"
Old September 8th, 2006   marburger is offline   #15
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

You know if she isn't get that much fandom at DC or at the fans why don't they just Kill her off ?

Old September 9th, 2006   curiouswanderer is offline   #16
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I think we could handle a Power Girl series AND and Supergirl series! Maybe somewhere down the road we will get them. Power Girl has certainly developed into a much different character than Supergirl (any incarnation) and has had lots of developments off page in her life (like when did she give up her secret id and what all has she done since she sold her company, does the JSA offer a stippend or did she retain some of the money from the sale for herself, does she even have a personal life outside the JSA?) There's lots that could be answered in a series that doesn't get time in JSA.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien