The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old February 3rd, 2007   ConnorFan is offline   #1
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Default Ion heir to Rebirth...*Spoilers*

I was on the DCMB (I know I shouldnt go there but sometimes I like to pop in there to see the war zone) and I read a post by someone talking about how he considered Ion to be an elseworld and was hoping that it wouldnt be referenced in GL or GLC.

And it got me thinking about what Ion was all about, how the story has evolved and changed over the past 10 issues. I think in alot of ways Ion is a continuation of the path Rebirth started. GL is the main title, and it is a classic super hero story, with a classic superhero character, the bad guys are bad, the women are hot, and Hal Jordan takes on both with a sense of flair and coolness. GLC is the book with scope, its about Guy and all the alien GLs fighting on the big playing field of space, its where the stories of deep space and aliens get told. So where does that leave Ion?

I think Ion has found it's footing in of all places Rebirth. Rebirth was based around the concept of returning Hal Jordan to active service but it also was about restoring bits and pieces of the DCU, giving them new perspective. Taking what we knew about the DCU and giving it to us in a different light.

Ion is alot like Rebirth in that respect, it takes the evil GL concept a la Parallax and says no wait that's Nero, It takes the Tangent lantern from IC and throws kyle into those waters, Captian Atom from Bludhaven and puts a whole new spin on that, and it's all through the perspective of Kyle Rayner who really shined as a man amongst gods in JLA, a slacker turned hero back when he was the star of Green Lantern.

Ion's the story of the reader looking at what he knows about the DCU and finding out there's alot more to the story, IMHO alot like Rebirth took on the various aspects of the GLU and giving it new perspective by showing us that Hal wasn't evil, that Guy's dna could be rewritten, and that the yellow impurity was alot more then a weakness to the paint department at Home Depot.

Old February 3rd, 2007   Peter Bardyn is offline   #2
Peter Bardyn
7 Star General

I think Ion has found it's footing in of all places Rebirth. Rebirth was based around the concept of returning Hal Jordan to active service but it also was about restoring bits and pieces of the DCU, giving them new perspective
ddf
All 3 books are contributing new stuff to the ongoing saga that is the DCU. GL introduced us to the Sinestro Corps and the new Global Guardians, and GLC gave us that structure that was built around Oa as well as the Lantern Corpse and the Super Dominator.

Other than those few exceptions, I like your comparisson between Ion and Rebirth. It definitely has that same feel of "everything is new again"

Old February 3rd, 2007   Lundonj is offline   #3
Lundonj
Haggard Horseman

I think all three GL related books are rolling out of Rebirth and all are essential to establishing or setting the scene for the sci-fi side of the DCU. Mystery in Space and the Omega Men are also adding some spice and depth as well.

Most GL fans I know are reading all three books. So, I agree, Ion is a really big part of that, with Kyle's evolution and new role specific to the ultimate survival of the Guardians.

GLC's new arc is a blast and I like how it shows another facet we only guessed the Guardians might have to solve some of their problems 'off the books'.

As for the Tangent Lantern stuff, it is another example of DC utilizing 'Hypertime' without calling it that. Which is fine, I don't think it needs a label, but with bits of Kingdom Come popping up, Tangent Lanterns an hints of some kind of multiverse (i.e., Majestic's appearance in the DCU from the Wildstorm U.), I think it is basically the initial concept of Hypertime in action.

It all counts, every DC story, ever. They may be in the shadows, or mirrors or various timelines, but they all can be utilized in a 'new' story if the new story has something else to tell or add to the existing thread.

-Don

By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. -- George Carlin
Old February 3rd, 2007   ConnorFan is offline   #4
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

All 3 books are contributing new stuff to the ongoing saga that is the DCU. GL introduced us to the Sinestro Corps and the new Global Guardians, and GLC gave us that structure that was built around Oa as well as the Lantern Corpse and the Super Dominator.

Other than those few exceptions, I like your comparisson between Ion and Rebirth. It definitely has that same feel of "everything is new again"
ddf
Peter Bardyn View Post
O i wasnt saying that GL or GLC werent doing anthing new or somehow not contributing, they do great things for the furtherance of the saga (I'm really looking forward to the Sinestro Corps) just that Ion seems to be more of a thrown into the deep end experience where as you say everthing is new again.

GL and GLC definately add new stuff as they go along, and breathing new life into things.

Old February 3rd, 2007   Torch Bearer is offline   #5
Torch Bearer
Geoffan

You can probably level out the progression of the modern GL legacy in the DCU like this:

1.)Power of Ion (Nero dissapears, John Stewart healed, Power Battery lit, Guardians ressurected )

2.)Rebirth (Hal ressurected, Guy + Killowog reactivated, Parallax imprisoned)

3.)Recharge (Corps reformed, Honor Guard established, Kyle's destiny foreshadowed)

4.)Ion (Nero revealed + imprisoned, Kyle conquers inner demons, Kyle reunited with GLC)

Old February 5th, 2007   gothamite is offline   #6
gothamite
Beware my power!

I think Ion has found it's footing in of all places Rebirth. Rebirth was based around the concept of returning Hal Jordan to active service but it also was about restoring bits and pieces of the DCU, giving them new perspective. Taking what we knew about the DCU and giving it to us in a different light.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
Well, yes and no.

On a character level, REBIRTH was built on a foundation of respect for all the characters, finding a unified whole in which all of them can work. No character had to be killed to enhance another. ION is about separating Kyle from that whole, undoing some of the best elements of REBIRTH.

The other major difference that I find is that I really enjoyed REBIRTH.

"I don't want to read about anyone NOT wanting (the power ring), unless it's because he has two. Period." -EVS
Old February 5th, 2007   Holiday is offline   #7
Holiday
White Pawn

ConnorFan, I totally agree with a lot of what you said. The whole GL legacy is really a great place in the DCU right now.

Old February 5th, 2007   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I was on the DCMB (I know I shouldnt go there but sometimes I like to pop in there to see the war zone) and I read a post by someone talking about how he considered Ion to be an elseworld and was hoping that it wouldnt be referenced in GL or GLC.

And it got me thinking about what Ion was all about, how the story has evolved and changed over the past 10 issues. I think in alot of ways Ion is a continuation of the path Rebirth started. GL is the main title, and it is a classic super hero story, with a classic superhero character, the bad guys are bad, the women are hot, and Hal Jordan takes on both with a sense of flair and coolness. GLC is the book with scope, its about Guy and all the alien GLs fighting on the big playing field of space, its where the stories of deep space and aliens get told. So where does that leave Ion?

Ion is alot like Rebirth in that respect, it takes the evil GL concept a la Parallax and says no wait that's Nero, It takes the Tangent lantern from IC and throws kyle into those waters, Captian Atom from Bludhaven and puts a whole new spin on that, and it's all through the perspective of Kyle Rayner who really shined as a man amongst gods in JLA, a slacker turned hero back when he was the star of Green Lantern.

Ion's the story of the reader looking at what he knows about the DCU and finding out there's alot more to the story, IMHO alot like Rebirth took on the various aspects of the GLU and giving it new perspective by showing us that Hal wasn't evil, that Guy's dna could be rewritten, and that the yellow impurity was alot more then a weakness to the paint department at Home Depot.
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
Connorfan, you may be off a bit when it comes to some of the details, but you're definitely on the right track with your line of thinking.

Like his recent Earth GL predecessors, Kyle's been on this tremendous journey ever since he first put on the ring.

Emerald Knights, the Ion event, Rebirth, R/T War, now Kyle's Ion maxi, have been continuous steps through that journey.

Just like Showcase #22, Hard Travelling Heroes, Tales of the GLC #224, The Road Back, ET, Final Night, The Last Will and Testament, Emerald Knights, Redemption Lost, and Rebirth have been the continuous steps through Hal's journey.

Or how the Death of Katma Tui, Cosmic Odyssey, The Road Back, Mosaic, etc, have been the continuous steps through John's journey.

So really, Kyle's journey isn't really anything new, because like the GL's before him, he's in a constant state of evolution.

And, he'll keep evolving until there's nowhere else to go, and DC decides to bring his journey full circle and bring Kyle back to his roots (just like they did with Hal and John).

As to where Kyle's journey is taking him now, well he has already established his role in the GLU, and with the mystery surrounding who sent Nero and Effigy after him, and the surprise ending of Ion #10 (with the Weaponers), I believe this is setting up his part in the upcoming Sin Corps event of 2007.

I also believe they're setting Kyle up for Countdown and the official return of the Multiverse (since DC's only hinted at it so far OYL).

We know the Monitors are interested in Kyle (for multiple reasons), we know he's tied into Donna (who's now tied into the Multiverse), we know of the warning from Captain Atom (who has been hiding out in the Bleed [the space between the world's that make up the Wildstorm Multiverse]) about the Monitors, we know Sinestro's working for a larger threat to the DCU (thanks to Ben Morse) and we know the Sin Corps event is tied into a bigger DCU event for 2008 (presumably after Countdown hits zero).

So I think Kyle's journey is far from over.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube