The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 24th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Im not dead.

Smile Batwoman issue #0 Preview & Discussion

NEWSARAMA PREVIEW.

Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III & W. HADEN BLACKMAN
Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III and AMY REEDER with RICHARD FRIEND
Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
Variant cover by AMY REEDER

I suspect that Batwoman is socialite Kate Kane. I intend to prove it beyond a shadow. I need to know if she can be trusted, what her motivations are. Im going undercover. Batman: Mission Log Entry 2756

Featuring a unique story composition that combines the art of Eisner Award-winner J.H. Williams III (DETECTIVE COMICS, PROMETHEA) and Amy Reeder (MADAME XANADU), this special #0 issue acts as a new introduction into the life of Batwoman!

Things pick up roughly where the BATWOMAN: ELEGY HC left off, and this issue acts as a primer for the upcoming new series featuring multiple award-winning creators!
ddf

Old December 2nd, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #2
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

LCS finally recv'd shipment from last week, delayed shipment over here in the NW.

JH's art is even more gorgeous than his previous work. I'm a fan of Amy Reeder since I'm a fan of Madame Xanadu (Looking forward to what Matt Wagner's doing next). Here, her art looks a tad bit different, not bad different, but noticeably different. She has the same inker on Madame X as on Batwoman, so I'm not sure what's to account for the difference. Maybe jitters on a high profile character/title?

Obviously, the art is not going to be the issue here.

Good zero issue. However, I'm not sure about how strong the writing is. A great artist can elevate any script and I think JH & Amy definitely accomplish that here.

What I'm saying is I'm not totally sold yet on the story. I freely admit I'm biased towards Rucka's take on Batwoman and Batman.

I'll give JH and Haden maybe 3 issues to sell me on their take.

Old December 2nd, 2010   virtuadept is offline   #3
virtuadept
bye.

I will buy this for the art alone, even if the story is only so so.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old December 2nd, 2010   DaVeO is offline   #4
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Some of that Batman dialogue was CAMPY! And those disguises, hoo boy. This smells like DC editorial forcing a Long Road Home issue onto us. It wasn't even Kate narrating. We don't need this, we had a perfectly good intro (outstanding actually) in Detective, that book sold how many units?
Unnecessary (although both J.H. and Amy's art was gorgeous).

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old December 2nd, 2010   virtuadept is offline   #5
virtuadept
bye.

I disagree. We NEED a new reader friendly introduction story. This is a new ongoing series, 0 and up. It should NOT assume people have read Detective or 52 or other Batwoman appearances first. It needs to lay down some groundwork first for the n00bs.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old December 2nd, 2010   DaVeO is offline   #6
DaVeO
Talk to the Hand of Doom

Batwoman has not been away THAT long. Nope, sorry. Don't agree. Batwoman was set-up as a strong independent character, more so then anyone currently connected with the 'Bat. Why did Bruce feel the need to spy on Kate? He could have asked Dick about her, he knows her. She was in Cry for Justice so he could have talked to the JLA. So he decides to stalk her instead!

I don't mind Batman doing the detective thing, but this portrayal of his detective skills sucked hard. I'm even more convinced this was editorial mandated, weak story telling issue, but strong art.

This zero issue to "introduce" Batwoman really didn't introduce me to Kate Kane because we didn't hear a word out of her, we heard it filtered from Batman acting out of character if you ask me.

Look, that's just how I feel about it. Doesn't make me less enthused about the series. It shows us Amy Reeder adjusted well, maybe even better to this book then I would have thought. And I still can't wait for #1 so I can read the Batwoman I loved in Detective (I hope). This issue wasn't it.

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old December 2nd, 2010   ClintP is offline   #7
ClintP
Neo Geoffan

I liked Bruce using disguises like that. That was one of my favorite things from the animated series. Also, he evaluated everyone else when he came back, why not watch her for himself to check her out? I thought it was a pretty decent zero issue and did what it needed, establish her to any new readers.

Old December 2nd, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #8
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

It wasn't even Kate narrating. Unnecessary (although both J.H. and Amy's art was gorgeous).
ddf
DaVeO View Post
I think that threw me off too.

I don't buy books solely for the art. I have to like the writing; it's a must.

Old December 3rd, 2010   Jude Deluca is offline   #9
Jude Deluca
Neo Geoffan

I need more Batwoman so badly. I never thought in my 19 years of living I'd ever see a Batwoman series. Of course, granted I learned about Batwoman years before Kate was created and Kathy was still in limbo.

Old December 4th, 2010   Primal Slayer is offline   #10
Primal Slayer
Geoffan

I loved this issue! Though I wasnt to fond of Kate appearing to be such a powered white socialite. Wouldve much perferred her putting on white makeup for when she dons the costume and have her look normal outisde of the costume.

Old December 5th, 2010   kirwan is offline   #11
kirwan

I thought it was a pretty decent zero issue and did what it needed, establish her to any new readers.
ddf
ClintP View Post
I agree, in fact I loved this zero issue. Out of all the Bruce Wayne books, this is the one I feel worked the most. He knows zero about her, and basically neither does anybody else. She operates under the "Bat" umbrella without having a single connection to anybody within the family. She is a mystery to everybody in the Bat family, yet she calls herself Batwoman. Bruce had to investigate on his own.

Great issue, I'll be picking up the series.

Old December 25th, 2010   Craig M.D. is offline   #12
Craig M.D.
Geoffan

Enjoyed the issue a lot. The art was beautiful, both from Williams and Reeder. The story was actually pretty good. Not as good as Rucka, but still worth reading. Interesting to see the differences between Bruce and Dick's investigations into Kate. A good primer for the series, and finally (for me) gives us a good look as to how the Batmen view the new Batwoman.

Still, the real adventure (and test of the series) will begin with Batwoman #1 when we get into Kate's perspective some more.

Also looking forward to her appearance in Batman Inc. #4. Looking forward to what Morrison has in store for her meeting with Batman (Bruce).