The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 27th, 2014   BrianT is offline   #1
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Default Peter Parker already has an "Original Sin"

Yesterday at C2E2, Marvel discussed plans for the Spider-Man "Original Sin" tie-in, which will introduce the new character Silk as the second person bitten by the radioactive spider.

There's only one problem with that, Peter Parker already has an "original sin," which is the defining moment for Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Anything else pales in comparison and only works to diminish the character's core concept: "With great power, comes great responsibility."

http://www.examiner.com/article/pete...n-original-sin

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old April 27th, 2014   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #2
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Yesterday at C2E2, Marvel discussed plans for the Spider-Man "Original Sin" tie-in, which will introduce the new character Silk as the second person bitten by the radioactive spider.

There's only one problem with that, Peter Parker already has an "original sin," which is the defining moment for Peter Parker as Spider-Man. Anything else pales in comparison and only works to diminish the character's core concept: "With great power, comes great responsibility."

http://www.examiner.com/article/pete...n-original-sin
ddf
BrianT View Post
Dan Slott's response says it all.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old April 27th, 2014   BrianT is offline   #3
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Yes, his response says a lot more than the materials Marvel sent out to the media for which we are meant to base our coverage off of. If Spider-Man doesn't have an original sin, then Marvel shouldn't have said, "Spider-Man has one." You know, if they didn't want people to make the "leap" that Spider-Man had one...

Subscribe to my page
Old April 28th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #4
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Avoid tie-ins.

Old April 28th, 2014   BrianT is offline   #5
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

That's like saying "avoid Marvel."

Subscribe to my page
Old April 28th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #6
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

That's like saying "avoid Marvel."
ddf
BrianT View Post
No. I just read the main event. I've learned tie-ins are all over the place in quality and reading satisfaction.

Old April 28th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #7
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

When it comes to tie-ins it depends on who's writing them. Dan Slott is always an automatic buy for me and ASM is already on my Pull List.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 28th, 2014   BrianT is offline   #8
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

No. I just read the main event. I've learned tie-ins are all over the place in quality and reading satisfaction.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Yeah, but what about the regular titles you read that tie-in? Seems like everything is getting forced to tie-in to this one.

Subscribe to my page
Old April 29th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #9
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Yeah, but what about the regular titles you read that tie-in? Seems like everything is getting forced to tie-in to this one.
ddf
BrianT View Post
I read only 2 Marvel titles, Superior Spider-Man (now turned back to Amazing) and Thor.

Awhile back my list included Guardians of the Galaxy, until it Infinity tie-ins. They were so unnecessary and a waste of my money. Those issues didn't add anything to the main event. I cancelled the title.

Old April 29th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #10
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

When it comes to tie-ins it depends on who's writing them. Dan Slott is always an automatic buy for me and ASM is already on my Pull List.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Only reading Amazing S-M. Even a Dan Slott written tie-in is still a no go for me

Old April 29th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

ddf
BrianT View Post
To me a really good tie-in feels like its a part of the normal run, just connected to the events.

I thought Avengers: The Initiative and Avengers Academy, for example, were really good at pushing character arcs and connecting to the bigger picture.

Really bad tie-ins don't even feature the same characters as the regular book. I remember several X-Men tie-in books where the cast of the book never even showed up.

Old April 29th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #12
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Only reading Amazing S-M. Even a Dan Slott written tie-in is still a no go for me
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
But his Original Sin Tie-In is part of his entire arc he sets up from issue #1 of ASM.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 29th, 2014   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

But his Original Sin Tie-In is part of his entire arc he sets up from issue #1 of ASM.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Well, if the tie-in makes me mad enough then I'll cancel the title. Simple. There's a reason why I only read 2 Marvel titles.

Why do readers feel tie-ins are mandatory? I read what I like; I don't like tie-ins.

Old April 29th, 2014   Simon DelMonte is offline   #14
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Slott lost me over the years. The shift from local adventure to global was an ill fit for Spidey, and the year of Doc Ock in Peter's body was dreary. That Slott is falling back on a retcon tells me he's running out of ideas. I would be much happier if he moved on and Gage took over.

Simon DelMonte
Old April 29th, 2014   darthlucifuge is offline   #15
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Well, if the tie-in makes me mad enough then I'll cancel the title. Simple. There's a reason why I only read 2 Marvel titles.

Why do readers feel tie-ins are mandatory? I read what I like; I don't like tie-ins.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
The tie-ins are part of the story he's telling though. It's not something that's being done because of Original Sin. It's just a convenient way to work it in you know. And no one said they are mandatory... it's just that this one is part of the larger arc Slott is telling.

Old April 29th, 2014   BrianT is offline   #16
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

To me a really good tie-in feels like its a part of the normal run, just connected to the events.

I thought Avengers: The Initiative and Avengers Academy, for example, were really good at pushing character arcs and connecting to the bigger picture.

Really bad tie-ins don't even feature the same characters as the regular book. I remember several X-Men tie-in books where the cast of the book never even showed up.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Agreed. There was an early issue of ALL-NEW X-MEN where the ANXM didn't show up until the last 2 pages. It was a double page spread. And that wasn't even an event tie-in!

Subscribe to my page