The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 20th, 2013   Matches is offline   #1
Matches
stepping aside

Default IDW G.I. Joe titles

I'm a long-time Joe fan but I've had a love-hate relationship with the IDW continuity titles for a few years. Something about playing G.I. Joe completely straight sits funny with me. Anyone digging the latest relaunch, though? I've tried out both of the relaunched titles and am planning to give Cobra a go as well.

G.I. Joe is now by Fred Van Lente and Steve Kurth and features the team going public. Issue #2 has some really good stuff with Cover Girl in particular.

Chuck Dixon has moved over to a new G.I. Joe: Special Missions title with Paul Gulacy on art, and it features the Joe black-ops team led by Scarlett. I have only read #1 but liked it a lot. It plays to Dixon's strengths really well - meaning cool action set-pieces.

I'd been limiting myself to catching up on the Larry Hama/ S.L. Gallant G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero (which is set in the Marvel continuity), but I needed a break from that. The IDW stuff is quite good lately, worth a look.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 20th, 2013   Sentinel119 is offline   #2
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

I have been reading the IDW GI Joe since the beginning and after the last big story I was done. It was just one big event to the next. Just like Green Lantern. So I dropped it. I love the Hama series.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old April 20th, 2013   superfriend is offline   #3
superfriend
laughs at comics

i've limited myself to the Hama series. it's pretty great.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 23rd, 2013   Matches is offline   #4
Matches
stepping aside

I have been reading the IDW GI Joe since the beginning and after the last big story I was done. It was just one big event to the next. Just like Green Lantern. So I dropped it. I love the Hama series.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
I had jumped off around the time of "Cobra Command" for a similar reason. The three titles felt way too interconnected to me. It feels like they've gotten away from that a bit now. If anything, the main title and Special Missions are a little disconnected, inasmuch as the Baroness' situation seems different in the two series.

i've limited myself to the Hama series. it's pretty great.
ddf
superfriend View Post
I've read up through the low #170s and probably will go back to it at some point, but I have really fallen out of love with the way Hama is structuring the stories. He seems to have hit a pattern of having an A story, a B story, and sometimes a C, and devoting space to each story in each issue. I'm not crazy about this because it means you only get 6-7 pages of each story in each issue, and so they tend to run on and on. In the days or yore, he would've spent an issue or two on the A story, then maybe an issue on the B, and so on. That worked better for me - kept the series feeling episodic rather than having "arcs" per se.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 23rd, 2013   jafabian is offline   #5
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Newsarama: What Might Have Been for DUKE in G.I. JOE #3?

Old April 23rd, 2013   superfriend is offline   #6
superfriend
laughs at comics

I've read up through the low #170s and probably will go back to it at some point, but I have really fallen out of love with the way Hama is structuring the stories. He seems to have hit a pattern of having an A story, a B story, and sometimes a C, and devoting space to each story in each issue. I'm not crazy about this because it means you only get 6-7 pages of each story in each issue, and so they tend to run on and on. In the days or yore, he would've spent an issue or two on the A story, then maybe an issue on the B, and so on. That worked better for me - kept the series feeling episodic rather than having "arcs" per se.
ddf
Matches View Post
i completely understand.

observe everything, admire nothing