The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old March 29th, 2013   SmilingKnight is offline   #1
SmilingKnight
Advanced Geoffan

Default East of West #1

I'm not sure how Hickman finds the time to start writing a new book but he's got a crazy concept here. A western set in an alternative time line future where the civil war never quite ended. And it's also an apocalypse tale because why not?

Found the first 6 or so pages of world building confusing and super dense, but after reading the whole book it makes more sense.
I really enjoy the concept and the main character is a cool choice.

"Things won by force must always be maintained and defended by force" Commander Hawkins, Voltron
Old March 29th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #2
Amentep

Definitely looking forward to getting this.

Old March 29th, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

haven't read it, but CBR gave it 4.5 stars (out of 5). somebody likes him.

Old March 29th, 2013   clarkent1982 is offline   #4
clarkent1982*
Citizen

I'm not sure how Hickman finds the time to start writing a new book but he's got a crazy concept here. A western set in an alternative time line future where the civil war never quite ended. And it's also an apocalypse tale because why not?

Found the first 6 or so pages of world building confusing and super dense, but after reading the whole book it makes more sense.
I really enjoy the concept and the main character is a cool choice.
ddf
SmilingKnight View Post
I was the same way. Very pleased with the book.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old March 30th, 2013   Matches is offline   #5
Matches
stepping aside

I need to re-read it. My daughter got home from a playdate right when I was in the middle of it, and the dogs were barking etc. I ended up feeling like I missed a lot. Hickman's books are so dense that they require pretty careful attention.

The art was lovely though. Dragotta is the bomb.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old March 30th, 2013   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Very good indeed, reminded me a bit of Saga in opening up a new world from scratch. Lots going on, great art.

If you can find it, get it!

Old March 30th, 2013   chasm is offline   #7
chasm
Master Geoffan

I'm not a western fan, but this was merely the setting for Hickman's world. I was very intrigued by the set up. Not sure what the premise is quite yet, but I'll be back next issue to find out.

Old April 1st, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #8
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Really glad I decided to give this a chance. I haven't read a lot of Hickman's work, but this was very, very good. I'll be looking into more of his creator-owned and non-Big 2 stuff.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 1st, 2013   Alan is offline   #9
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

There was a sale on Comixology last week of his first five Image series, so I got all of them as they were the price of one comic for a whole series. They all look very good indeed, but each page of Nightly News takes as long to read as some new comics.

Old April 1st, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #10
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

a friend of mine lent me all of Hickman's creator-owned work several months ago.

hmmm...hickman would benefit from an editor.

glad I didn't buy them.

yet, on the other hand, his avengers is different from his past work; I actually enjoyed it.

so far, enjoyed only his avengers and ff work. his fantastic four is incredibly slow burn, more so than his other slow burn creator-owned work.

on ff and avengers, it seems like he's learned. have yet to read his new avengers.

Old April 2nd, 2013   Matches is offline   #11
Matches
stepping aside

a friend of mine lent me all of Hickman's creator-owned work several months ago.

hmmm...hickman would benefit from an editor.

glad I didn't buy them.
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
There's definitely a roughness to a lot of them. I find that to be part of their charm, though. His Marvel work is definitely more polished, but at times it can feel a bit sterile.

Not all of his creator-owned books are winners, but I'd stack Nightly News, Transhuman, Pax Romana, and Manhattan Projects up against any of his other work.

Old April 2nd, 2013   Alan is offline   #12
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

One thing that is quite clear from the things I've read of his so far is that he is not afraid of writing more cerebral books. Along with Bendis he must use more words than anyone else in comics, and uses quite complex ideas. His current New Avengers run is incredibly hard work, but rewarding. I couldn't see him surviving a day at DC where there seems to be an edict to keep the word count low unless you happen to be Grant Morrison.

Old April 2nd, 2013   manwithnoname is offline   #13
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

i'm blown away by his Avengers title. looking forward to his new avengers.

Old April 21st, 2013   Matches is offline   #14
Matches
stepping aside

I'm not a western fan, but this was merely the setting for Hickman's world. I was very intrigued by the set up. Not sure what the premise is quite yet, but I'll be back next issue to find out.
ddf
chasm View Post
After finally re-reading it, best as I can tell:

The Civil War went very differently due to the formation of a Native American Alliance which caused the Union to have to fight on two fronts. The war lasted over a decade and was ended only by some sort of supernatural event. The US is now divided into seven territories.

Something has happened to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, causing one of them to go missing and the other three to be "reborn" in 2064. In what appears to an earlier (?) time, they are hunting down people who have wronged them in some way. One of those people happens to be the President of the United States (just the union area or the whole thing?).

So questions to be answered:

- Where is Horseman #4?
- What are the items the three reborn Horsemen have with them in 2064?
- What happened to piss them off in the first place?
- How is the prophecy created by the three world leaders in the late 1800's/ early 1900's connected?

Any thoughts? Stuff I've missed or mis-interpreted? Obviously Hickman hasn't given us anything close to the whole picture yet.

Old April 21st, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

The Civil War went very differently due to the formation of a Native American Alliance which caused the Union to have to fight on two fronts. The war lasted over a decade and was ended only by some sort of supernatural event. The US is now divided into seven territories.

Something has happened to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, causing one of them to go missing and the other three to be "reborn" in 2064. In what appears to an earlier (?) time, they are hunting down people who have wronged them in some way. One of those people happens to be the President of the United States (just the union area or the whole thing?).

- Where is Horseman #4?
- How is the prophecy created by the three world leaders in the late 1800's/ early 1900's connected?

Any thoughts? Stuff I've missed or mis-interpreted? Obviously Hickman hasn't given us anything close to the whole picture yet.
ddf
Matches View Post
I thought the main protagonist was Horseman #4, "Death". (?)

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 21st, 2013   JRM is offline   #16
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

- Where is Horseman #4?

ddf
Matches View Post
Interesting concept - sort of what the natives were trying to do during the War of 1812. Image North America divided in to the USA, Canada and he United Tribes of North America and perhaps a Spanish Pacific coast - an interest what could have happened.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP