The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old February 19th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Im not dead.

Question JL of A's Vibe issue #1 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

No, thats not a typo. Vibe stars in his own ongoing monthly title, starting with this debut issue cowritten by GEOFF JOHNS!

One of the most unlikely members of the Justice League of America ever (okay, THE most unlikely) will soon discover hes one of the most powerful individuals on Earth. But how did Vibe get his abilities? What is the cost to them? And why does the JLA want him on the team so desperately?

Plus: Weve seen the Red Room and the Black Room, but what is...the Circus?

Story by
Geoff Johns, Andrew Kreisberg
Art by
Pete Woods, Sean Parsons
Cover by
David Finch
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, February 20th, 2013
ddf

Old February 19th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #2
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

If VIBE #1 came with a poppin' and breakin' kit, I would buy it.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 20th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #3
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I read this and JLA #1, and I'm just wondering how people are feeling about it.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
especially how johns seems to keep using New Gensis/Apokolips lore to power up heroes who were otherwise unimpressive power-wise before. Cyborg is integrated with mother box tech that allows him to boom-tube and access networks with greater ease and control...and now Vibe's powers come from being on the event horizon of a boom tube and allow him dimensional level manipulations (potentially).

it's a cool idea, but I just don't want it to be overplayed or have Darkseid's invasion basically be a "big bang" for metahumans.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old February 20th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #4
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

especially how johns seems to keep using New Gensis/Apokolips lore to power up heroes who were otherwise unimpressive power-wise before. Cyborg is integrated with mother box tech that allows him to boom-tube and access networks with greater ease and control...and now Vibe's powers come from being on the event horizon of a boom tube and allow him dimensional level manipulations (potentially).

it's a cool idea, but I just don't want it to be overplayed or have Darkseid's invasion basically be a "big bang" for metahumans.
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
It reminds me of what Morrison did with Oracle's tech during his JLA run. Something that, I guess, was just ignored by later writers(?)

Old February 20th, 2013   chasm is offline   #5
chasm
Master Geoffan

This wasn't too bad. I think it is a portion of the big story Geoff is trying to tell.

Unfortunately, Darkseid's invasion is the Big Bang that sets off the whole DC universe catalog of stories. Look for him to eventually begin the Crisis of Infinite Earths in about three more years.

I am a little worried about Blue Beetle, though. If Vibe becomes the new DC hispanic hero, will Max have a bullet for Jaimie?

Old February 20th, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #6
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

I really enjoyed this. Hope it keeps up the quality on its own merits.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 20th, 2013   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #7
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

I thought this was a good read. I was surprised at how straight this is being played -- more so because of how well it works. I'm interested to see what direction they go in.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old February 20th, 2013   Bizarro #98 is offline   #8
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

The Circus is the US government's prison for multiversal trespassers. He's a list of all the characters on those two pages.

On the fair left is Krakkl, a character from the Morrison/Millar Flash run. He comes from a universe of energy lifeforms. On the regular Earth, he exists as the fictional star of a radio program.

To his right appears to be Dr. Cyber, an old Wonder Woman villain.

To her right is a Qwardian Weaponer. Qward is an alternate counterpart to the Green Lantern Corps' baseworld, Oa. It has occasionally been portrayed as being in the same universe as the Crime Syndicate's Earth. The residents of Qward are typically evil, with only a few exceptions.

The next cell is obscured, but contains someone whose name begins with an "S".

After that, there's someone I don't recognize. His hand appears to be replaced with some sort of bladed weapon, and his name ends in "orman".

Then there's Pariah, one of the central characters in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Pariah created the Multiverse when he repeated Krona's legendary crime of looking back in time to witness the creation of the original universe.

The rightmost cell contains a humanoid whose hand appears to be made out of rock, tar, or some other inorganic matter.

But the character who's focused on is Gypsy, a woman with illusion powers. She's most famous for being a member of the same rather infamous era of Justice League history that Vibe himself is from.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 20th, 2013   Hierarch555 is offline   #9
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. What I don't like is his nickname of Cisco. Was the old one's name Francisco too? Vibe was before my time so I know next to nothing about the character besides him being a terrible stereotype.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old February 21st, 2013   Bizarro #98 is offline   #10
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

For anyone interested, the character I couldn't identify before is a Scissorman from Morrison's Doom Patrol run.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old February 21st, 2013   jafabian is offline   #11
jafabian
Im not dead.

CBR review for Justice League of America's Vibe #1

Old February 21st, 2013   Alan is offline   #12
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Gulp.

Vibe in good comic shocker.

Didn't see THAT coming!

Old February 21st, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #13
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
It's the Genesis Wave all over again!

j/k

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old February 22nd, 2013   Mark MacMillan is offline   #14
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

It's the Genesis Wave all over again!

j/k
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
Lolz. That's a terrible description of the Godwave and not completely accurate.

Anyway, it's not like that at all. There were meta-gene activations before five years ago in the DCnU (like Captain Comet) just not superheroes in the technical costumed sense.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old February 22nd, 2013   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. What I don't like is his nickname of Cisco. Was the old one's name Francisco too? Vibe was before my time so I know next to nothing about the character besides him being a terrible stereotype.
ddf
Hierarch555 View Post
AFAIK Paco Ramone was Vibe's original real name. His brother Armando Ramone was Reverb.

Old February 22nd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #16
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

AFAIK Paco Ramone was Vibe's original real name. His brother Armando Ramone was Reverb.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Yep. I'm pretty sure Paco Ramone is correct.
It was DEFINITELY Paco.