The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Greg's Novels

Greg's Novels Perfect Dark, Queen & Country, Kodiak, Patriot Acts and more

Old October 25th, 2010   Danny Perkins is offline   #1
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Default Discussion: The Last Run

Book drops tomorrow.

Remember, this thread will contain spoilers so enter at your own risk.

Have at it!

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old November 2nd, 2010   michealdark is offline   #2
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I didn't initially want spoilers on this, but since no place around here has it I guess I can live with them now. I'm too curious about what happens to not pay attention anyways.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old November 2nd, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #3
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I didn't initially want spoilers on this, but since no place around here has it I guess I can live with them now. I'm too curious about what happens to not pay attention anyways.
ddf
michealdark View Post
curious enough to buy the book, maybe?

Old November 2nd, 2010   michealdark is offline   #4
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Yeah, duh. As I said though, I've been looking for it, but the closest Borders that has it is the one on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

RIP Tara
Old November 2nd, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #5
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

Yeah, duh. As I said though, I've been looking for it, but the closest Borders that has it is the one on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.
ddf
michealdark View Post
amazon?

Old November 2nd, 2010   Mackaybear is offline   #6
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Buy it, it's more than worth it.

It's a great read.

And I won't give with spoilers since people are having trouble finding it here too.

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old November 2nd, 2010   michealdark is offline   #7
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

amazon?
ddf
manwithnoname View Post
Yeah, but I'm saving Amazon for a few weeks to use if for birthday gifts at the end of the month, and I don't want to wait that long for it.

Maybe I'll order it from B&N.

RIP Tara
Old November 3rd, 2010   Ken Liner is offline   #8
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

Yeah, but I'm saving Amazon for a few weeks to use if for birthday gifts at the end of the month, and I don't want to wait that long for it.

ddf
michealdark View Post
If you're looking for the greatest $$ savings, order from Amazon or B&N. If you would like to get it personally inscribed by Greg and get a bookplate included, order from an independent bookstore where Greg is doing some signings. See the following link from his blog for more details.

http://www.gregrucka.com/wp/the-last...friend-timing/

I wish Greg had put this out there months ago, as I had pre-ordered from Amazon. I would much rather have a personalized inscription than the money I saved thru Amazon.

For his future books, we should ask him if he will put forth the same proposal (I would guess the bookplate part would be limited solely to Q&C novels, though.)

Old November 3rd, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #9
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
michealdark View Post
Ahh.

Old November 3rd, 2010   michealdark is offline   #10
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Thank you all. Yeah, I'll probably stop by B&N here is a little while anyways so I'll just order it while I'm there.

RIP Tara
Old November 4th, 2010   jthuconn is offline   #11
jthuconn

If you're looking for the greatest $$ savings, order from Amazon or B&N. If you would like to get it personally inscribed by Greg and get a bookplate included, order from an independent bookstore where Greg is doing some signings. See the following link from his blog for more details.

http://www.gregrucka.com/wp/the-last...friend-timing/

I wish Greg had put this out there months ago, as I had pre-ordered from Amazon. I would much rather have a personalized inscription than the money I saved thru Amazon.

For his future books, we should ask him if he will put forth the same proposal (I would guess the bookplate part would be limited solely to Q&C novels, though.)
ddf
Ken Liner View Post

Yeah, I felt bad getting it from Amazon after reading Greg's post. When he posted it though, my preordered copy had already shipped from AZ :/

Old November 19th, 2010   Danny Perkins is offline   #12
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Default Review - ***Spoilers***

Spoiler Space

Seriously, I'm warning you!

I find myself feeling a lot of different emotions when I read a Rucka book. I've been in awe of Wonder Woman, I've felt fear during Critical Space, and then there are the Queen & Country novels. Outrage. This is my typical feeling during a Q&C book. Usually it is because Tara Chace is doing what she is being asked to do and then getting totally screwed over by the government she serves. Now in and of itself this isn't enough to outrage me. But what is, is that I believe it. Things that outraged me in The Last Run:

1. Oh, we know its probably a trap but we are sending someone in anyway. Yeah, they'll probably die but its worth the risk to us.
2. Sure, we'll help but we are going to try and call some shots on the operation. Yeah I know none of our people are at risk here but its our way or the highway.
3. Wait, so it was a trap after all and it blew up in our face and now our agent is on the run? Sucks to be her.
4. She got caught? Rescue her? Screw that, we are going to deny we even know her.
5. I know you were against the operation before it even started but I hope you realize you are taking the fall for its failure.

Okay, now all of this as I was reading made me visibly angry. Mainly because as crappy as I thought it was I buy it as realistic. If this was a Bond movie he would either escape on his own or there would be a massive rescue planned. But in the real world where we all live it doesn't work that way (and the agents sign up for this fwiw).

I commend Greg for writing something that I connect with so much that I feel such strong emotions while reading. The action sequences were great and my heart is always pumping and my ears are ringing by the end of each one (as usual).

As for the story, its complex, political, smart, and focused. The book is noticeably short but it doesn't feel that way when you read it. There is no wasted space, and every scene moves the story forward. The whole thing confused me at first. What was Shirazi's agenda? I was trying to figure out why he didn't take Chace in the apartment. Was he trying to uncover the whole network by making them mobilize? What was he playing at? The twist, I never saw coming! On the other hand, I'll give credit for being able to write something I know is coming in a way that still makes me emotional as I read it. The daily meeting with C in the second to last chapter including the last 3 lines I totally saw coming but it was executed flawlessly. Same for the last chapter. There was no shock there at all but when I read it I still smiled and said "Nice!".

The last thing I think Greg should get credit for is that it really stands alone well. If you didn't read AGG or PW it really doesn't matter. There were some references but if you read the comics and then picked this up you could do so seamlessly. I thought that was well done.

Okay so this isn't much of a review. I don't know how to write reviews. I suck at reviews. But I wanted to talk about this book and my wife hasn't read it.

Anyway, Greg if you see this, nice job and as always I'm looking forward to more.

So what did everyone else think? This thread is awfully quiet.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old November 19th, 2010   michealdark is offline   #13
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I still can't find it!

RIP Tara
Old November 21st, 2010   ArnaudXIII is offline   #14
ArnaudXIII

Spoiler Space

Seriously, I'm warning you!

I find myself feeling a lot of different emotions when I read a Rucka book. I've been in awe of Wonder Woman, I've felt fear during Critical Space, and then there are the Queen & Country novels. Outrage. This is my typical feeling during a Q&C book. Usually it is because Tara Chace is doing what she is being asked to do and then getting totally screwed over by the government she serves. Now in and of itself this isn't enough to outrage me. But what is, is that I believe it. Things that outraged me in The Last Run:

1. Oh, we know its probably a trap but we are sending someone in anyway. Yeah, they'll probably die but its worth the risk to us.
2. Sure, we'll help but we are going to try and call some shots on the operation. Yeah I know none of our people are at risk here but its our way or the highway.
3. Wait, so it was a trap after all and it blew up in our face and now our agent is on the run? Sucks to be her.
4. She got caught? Rescue her? Screw that, we are going to deny we even know her.
5. I know you were against the operation before it even started but I hope you realize you are taking the fall for its failure.

Okay, now all of this as I was reading made me visibly angry. Mainly because as crappy as I thought it was I buy it as realistic. If this was a Bond movie he would either escape on his own or there would be a massive rescue planned. But in the real world where we all live it doesn't work that way (and the agents sign up for this fwiw).

I commend Greg for writing something that I connect with so much that I feel such strong emotions while reading. The action sequences were great and my heart is always pumping and my ears are ringing by the end of each one (as usual).

As for the story, its complex, political, smart, and focused. The book is noticeably short but it doesn't feel that way when you read it. There is no wasted space, and every scene moves the story forward. The whole thing confused me at first. What was Shirazi's agenda? I was trying to figure out why he didn't take Chace in the apartment. Was he trying to uncover the whole network by making them mobilize? What was he playing at? The twist, I never saw coming! On the other hand, I'll give credit for being able to write something I know is coming in a way that still makes me emotional as I read it. The daily meeting with C in the second to last chapter including the last 3 lines I totally saw coming but it was executed flawlessly. Same for the last chapter. There was no shock there at all but when I read it I still smiled and said "Nice!".

The last thing I think Greg should get credit for is that it really stands alone well. If you didn't read AGG or PW it really doesn't matter. There were some references but if you read the comics and then picked this up you could do so seamlessly. I thought that was well done.

Okay so this isn't much of a review. I don't know how to write reviews. I suck at reviews. But I wanted to talk about this book and my wife hasn't read it.

Anyway, Greg if you see this, nice job and as always I'm looking forward to more.

ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
Finished it today. It's funny cause regarding the spins, my reaction was totaly different than yours. I saw Shirazi's agenda coming but certainly didn't expect what happened to Tara in the end, though I must say, that was me probably being a bit thick.

Overall, I enjoyed the book from page 1 to page the last. The new characters introduced to the Q&C mythos are great. D-Int is brilliant!!

And I agree with you about the whole situation being outrageous and probably true to what the real outcome would be.

Old November 24th, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #15
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I really enjoyed the book. It's felt like too long since reading more adventures with Tara so this was a treat.

Great work Greg, and that scene you described when you were in London?

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Tara having to treat herself on the bonnet of the vehicle?

You nailed it. I know you were worried about maintaining the integrity of the character/book with in that scene and I think you did.

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old November 28th, 2010   manwithnoname is offline   #16
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
The book stares at me everyday, all day long. Yet, I don't blame it.

Once my chemistry final is out of the way The Last Run is THE book I'm reading. After that, The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson.