The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old January 15th, 2009   Booster Goldstar is offline   #1
Booster Goldstar

Default original plan for 52

i was flipping around my 52 g n and it said that geoff had another plan what 52 would be. any one hear what it was.

"Stupid Jetpack Hitler!"
The All-New Atom
Old January 15th, 2009   Bizarro #98 is offline   #2
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

i was flipping around my 52 g n and it said that geoff had another plan what 52 would be. any one hear what it was.
ddf
Booster Goldstar View Post
Originally, 52 was going to be a sort of tour through all the locations of the DC Universe. Later, they decided to focus on a small cast of characters instead.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old January 15th, 2009   Mark MacMillan is offline   #3
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Originally, 52 was going to be a sort of tour through all the locations of the DC Universe. Later, they decided to focus on a small cast of characters instead.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
Yep.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old January 15th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #4
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

It was originally going to show what happened to all of the major DCU characters (i.e. the ones starring or soon to be starring in titles) during the one year gap as shown through the adventures of the lead 52 characters. Then about 2 scripts in they decided to make it about the individual stories of the lead characters leaving us pretty much in the dark about what happened prior to all the "One Year Later" issues of the regular DC books. As a result, OYL did little besides confuse and irritate fans.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old January 16th, 2009   hoyatables is offline   #5
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

It was originally going to show what happened to all of the major DCU characters (i.e. the ones starring or soon to be starring in titles) during the one year gap as shown through the adventures of the lead 52 characters. Then about 2 scripts in they decided to make it about the individual stories of the lead characters leaving us pretty much in the dark about what happened prior to all the "One Year Later" issues of the regular DC books. As a result, OYL did little besides confuse and irritate fans.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
Yeah, OYL was somewhat mangled by the change in direction in 52, but I prefer to think of it as a sacrifice for the good of 52, which was awesome.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid
Old January 16th, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #6
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

Yeah 52 was awesome, but they kind of forced a lot of changes towards the end of the year.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old January 16th, 2009   Astro is offline   #7
Astro
Geoffan

Yeah 52 was awesome, but they kind of forced a lot of changes towards the end of the year.
ddf
Sentinel119 View Post
I felt like the only point at which 52 felt really FORCED was WWIII, and that was really all in the ancillary titles.

Old January 16th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #8
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Yeah, OYL was somewhat mangled by the change in direction in 52, but I prefer to think of it as a sacrifice for the good of 52, which was awesome.
ddf
hoyatables View Post
I would have preferred awesome stories in all of the regular titles, resolutions to all the plot lines left over from INFINITE CRISIS (many of which are still unresolved) to the altered 52 story (which still could have been awesome as originally intended) and the cluster that was WWIII. And WWIII served only as the vehicle for explaining all the changes that were supposed to be in 52 so that the DCU matched up between the end of 52 and the start of OYL. Had 52 been published as planned we wouldn't have gotten WWIII.

Subscribe to my page
Old January 21st, 2009   Booster Goldstar is offline   #9
Booster Goldstar

while you have been helpful, i meant the meaning of the number 52. waid said that geoff had an idea before the multiverse was decided.

"Stupid Jetpack Hitler!"
The All-New Atom
Old January 21st, 2009   scootsie119 is offline   #10
scootsie119

oh now your just being ridculus.lol

Old January 21st, 2009   BrianT is offline   #11
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

Makes sense since the original INFINITE CRISIS issues made no mention of the multiverse returning, but it was then added in in the IC collected edition.

Subscribe to my page
Old January 22nd, 2009   samnoir is offline   #12
samnoir
Neo Geoffan

I would imagine this was for the sanity of the creative team and editorial.

Imagine trying to co-ordinate with the rest of the writer's in the OYL DCU @ the time? I would imagine you would feel quite boxed in if you had to synch up with Oliver Queen becoming mayor, or Donna Troy becoming Wonder Woman.

There is probably a great deal more freedom if you can write characters like Booster Gold, Elongated Man, Animal Man, Adam Strange, The Question et al with much more freedom and with the new endgame that you've revitalized these old properties into an additional batch of new potential spinoff titles.

Old July 3rd, 2009   Ghostboy is offline   #13
Ghostboy

Makes sense since the original INFINITE CRISIS issues made no mention of the multiverse returning, but it was then added in in the IC collected edition.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
What did they add in?

Old July 9th, 2009   BrianT is offline   #14
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

They changed the dialogue at the end.

Subscribe to my page
Old July 25th, 2009   Velocity9 is offline   #15
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

I'm pretty glad that they did do what they did with 52. It's my opinion that 52 is one of the best things DC has put out in YEARS, and while some things have come close (Sinestro War for example) nothing has entertained me as much as 52.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old August 21st, 2009   E.Marie is offline   #16
E.Marie

ddf
Booster Goldstar View Post
Nothing specific that I can think of. I do remember it being said that the space story was going to have greater relevance. In #37 (I think) they mentioned in the trade commentary that the 52 worlds idea wasn't decided on when they first wrote it. Which is why they had to pull a page that showed where Rip and Booster ended up when they retreated from Skeets/Mind after he ate the phantom zone. They popped up at the near the end of the series where Metropolis is in ruins with bodies littering the area.