The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Back Issues: Geoff Johns

Back Issues: Geoff Johns Talk about Geoff's older work here

Old September 4th, 2009   Full of Utonium is offline   #17
Full of Utonium
Geoffan

Hawkman was still a pretty good book after Geoff left (if not as focused) but it was another casualty of OYL. I dropped it after Hawkgirl took over the title (and Carter disappeared entirely from it). I don't think Simonson can be totally blamed. The Hawkman book was really an adventure title which fit Carter's history and personality and Hawkgirl was a different character entirely (but then I've never Kendra that interesting). It just didn't work.

I blame the Flash problems on the constant Editorial changes rather than the writers.

I know a lot of people like McKeever but Teen Titans just went downhill after Geoff left. The characters seemed directionless and it wasn't really a fun book to read. To be honest it still isn't. I hope the new writer changes that.

Booster Gold remains one of my favorite books DC puts out. The quality hasn't really dropped since Geoff left. Jurgens created Booster Gold and gets the character as well as anyone.

So it's not a matter of Geoff leaving a title that causes problems, it's a matter of who DC gets to take his place and what editorial direction changes are made.

Buttercup: In the stomach or in the face?
Mojo Jojo:
How about an option of the third type?
Old September 4th, 2009   JRM is offline   #18
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Hawkman was still a pretty good book after Geoff left (if not as focused) but it was another casualty of OYL. I dropped it after Hawkgirl took over the title (and Carter disappeared entirely from it). I don't think Simonson can be totally blamed. The Hawkman book was really an adventure title which fit Carter's history and personality and Hawkgirl was a different character entirely (but then I've never Kendra that interesting). It just didn't work.

I blame the Flash problems on the constant Editorial changes rather than the writers.

I know a lot of people like McKeever but Teen Titans just went downhill after Geoff left. The characters seemed directionless and it wasn't really a fun book to read. To be honest it still isn't. I hope the new writer changes that.

Booster Gold remains one of my favorite books DC puts out. The quality hasn't really dropped since Geoff left. Jurgens created Booster Gold and gets the character as well as anyone.

So it's not a matter of Geoff leaving a title that causes problems, it's a matter of who DC gets to take his place and what editorial direction changes are made.
ddf
Full of Utonium View Post
Good points - to add to this - some changes that are prefence driven by either writer, editor or above are usually very polarizing.

For me with Geoff it really varies if his work is a homerun, a hit or a strike-out. For me his later JSA pretty much killed the book for me, hoping that the new team will bring back the love that Goyer and Geoff created.

His Flash was strong, Bill Loebs is still my favorite, but I wouldn't part with Geoff's Wally run. Yeah, Editorial here is mostly to blame for the mess.

Likely they should have just done F:Rb right after InC, instead of restarting JSofA - just did Barry then - I think a lot more people would have been happier if it had just gone down that way. Wouldn't have had to live through the really drawn out - dull Kingdom issues. The Barryfans wouldn't have had to put up with all those damnable carrots and oh Barry would have been back about 5 years ago, Bartfans wouldn't have had that poorly concieved run and then his death and Wallyfans would not have had to live through this missery. Even the whole Jai & Iris concept would have been a blank slate. Here I see a whole bunch of frustrated fans that had to muddle through because back then DannyD decided that the "timing wasn't right" In hindsight it was exactly the right time.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old September 11th, 2009   Hol is offline   #19
Hol
persona non grata

Good points - to add to this - some changes that are prefence driven by either writer, editor or above are usually very polarizing.

For me with Geoff it really varies if his work is a homerun, a hit or a strike-out. For me his later JSA pretty much killed the book for me, hoping that the new team will bring back the love that Goyer and Geoff created.

His Flash was strong, Bill Loebs is still my favorite, but I wouldn't part with Geoff's Wally run. Yeah, Editorial here is mostly to blame for the mess.

Likely they should have just done F:Rb right after InC, instead of restarting JSofA - just did Barry then - I think a lot more people would have been happier if it had just gone down that way. Wouldn't have had to live through the really drawn out - dull Kingdom issues. The Barryfans wouldn't have had to put up with all those damnable carrots and oh Barry would have been back about 5 years ago, Bartfans wouldn't have had that poorly concieved run and then his death and Wallyfans would not have had to live through this missery. Even the whole Jai & Iris concept would have been a blank slate. Here I see a whole bunch of frustrated fans that had to muddle through because back then DannyD decided that the "timing wasn't right" In hindsight it was exactly the right time.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post

That's if you buy what Dan is selling. I don't think he was planning on bringing back Barry at all before or around Infinite Crisis and I don't care how he spells it out now. I feel like he decided to do so about mid way through Barts run.

Old September 11th, 2009   Kiryu is offline   #20
Kiryu
persona non grata

That's if you buy what Dan is selling. I don't think he was planning on bringing back Barry at all before or around Infinite Crisis and I don't care how he spells it out now. I feel like he decided to do so about mid way through Barts run.
ddf
Hol View Post
I dunno about that, actually. The way Bart showed up in Infinite Crisis wearing Barry's costume and them coming up with some convoluted explanation as to why he was wearing Barry's costume leads me to believe DC had a plan it aborted and now we're still dealing with the fallout of them changing gears.

Old September 14th, 2009   Matches is offline   #21
Matches
stepping aside

ddf
Hol View Post
LOL no see the plan was to intentionally flub not one but TWO high-profile relaunches and send the franchise into the Sales Crapper for two years, send out fake solicitations to retailers, and essentially run Bilson, Demeo & Waid out of the company.

They totally meant to do that.

It was all planned out by Dan Didio's ancestors in 1884 in the Old West.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.