The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 27th, 2007   Ravenwing263 is offline   #33
Ravenwing263
Advanced Geoffan

Oh, my god.

I am sick and tired of the rampant racsim, sexism, and homophobia in the comics community. DC's attempts to increase the racial, ethnic, sexual, and religous diversity of its universe is a very, very good thing, and the fact that they are doing this in the face of a legion of obnoxious fans who cannot stand to leave behind their entirely white, straight, and male universes makes it not only good work, but brave.

Old January 27th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #34
Amentep

One thing I have gotten from the two Helmet of Fate books so far is that it seems to be a whole lot more powerful than it was in the last run of JSA.

It seems to make its wearer virtually omnipotent, which is not a good thing IMHO. Basically, my problem with doing that to characters is that it almost by defualt consigns them to Vertigo, where they can have different sorts of stories than the standard superhero variety you get in the DCU.
ddf
achilles140 View Post
I'm not so sure if the helm really makes anyone omnipotent; Detective Chimp is a magically enhanced chimp detective who used the helm to do some superheroing stuff but also to solve other crimes.

Set wanted to use the helm to break the balance between the gods.

I don't really think it makes the person omnipotent.

Ejem, the classical Ibis WORKS, is just that DC is so moronic in its attemps to create a "politicaly correct" comics that one of our dearest characters in Fawcett has been replaced by a kid who will die in the next BIG EVENT, do we bet?
ddf
Liandly View Post
While there is no reason really to have to replace Amentep, I don't see a reason to be pessimistic over it; frankly between this story and Morrison's death story, I'll take this one.

Old January 27th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #35
Amentep

Oh, my god.

I am sick and tired of the rampant racsim, sexism, and homophobia in the comics community. DC's attempts to increase the racial, ethnic, sexual, and religous diversity of its universe is a very, very good thing, and the fact that they are doing this in the face of a legion of obnoxious fans who cannot stand to leave behind their entirely white, straight, and male universes makes it not only good work, but brave.
ddf
Ravenwing263 View Post
Um...to be fair, they replaced an ancient Egyptian character with a character who is Egyptian-American.

I'm not really sure how that effects a net change at all in the ethnic makeup of the DCU.

Old January 27th, 2007   Ravenwing263 is offline   #36
Ravenwing263
Advanced Geoffan

Um...to be fair, they replaced an ancient Egyptian character with a character who is Egyptian-American.

I'm not really sure how that effects a net change at all in the ethnic makeup of the DCU.
ddf
Amentep View Post
I was referring directly to Liandly's post, in which he falls back on the long-overused "politically correct" excuse for racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and homophobia among comic fans who want everything to stay nicely straight, male, and anglo. The fact that his post didn't make any sense in addition to being offensive just makes it worse, although you were right in saying that I didn't realize that both charicters were of similar ethnicity at the moment when I first posted.

Old January 27th, 2007   achilles140 is offline   #37
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I'm not so sure if the helm really makes anyone omnipotent; Detective Chimp is a magically enhanced chimp detective who used the helm to do some superheroing stuff but also to solve other crimes.

Set wanted to use the helm to break the balance between the gods.

I don't really think it makes the person omnipotent.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Well, Set was supposed to become more powerful than all the other gods with it, and DC was essentially omnicient.

With the new age of magic, perhaps it just shook out that way....

Old January 28th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #38
Amentep

I was referring directly to Liandly's post, in which he falls back on the long-overused "politically correct" excuse for racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, and homophobia among comic fans who want everything to stay nicely straight, male, and anglo. The fact that his post didn't make any sense in addition to being offensive just makes it worse, although you were right in saying that I didn't realize that both charicters were of similar ethnicity at the moment when I first posted.
ddf
Ravenwing263 View Post
Well I admit I don't really understand Liandly's "politically correct" claims for the same reason as I replied to you. Unlike a number of new characters there are, for the most part, a striking similiarity between Danny and Amentep. The only real loss to the DCU is loosing characters directly connected with ancient history for one who isn't as familiar with the past.

Well, Set was supposed to become more powerful than all the other gods with it, and DC was essentially omnicient.

With the new age of magic, perhaps it just shook out that way....
ddf
achilles140 View Post
Well DC seemed to be practically omniscient (he seemed to see connections in everything!), but was that an effect of of the helmet itself, or an enhancement of his own abilities as a detective? I'm not sure that it was all the helmet or that DC was able to use the abilities and knowledge the helmet had in a rather unique way to himself given his abilities.

In otherwords if Batman or Roy Raymond or Hamilton Drew had gotten the helm ther would have had similar results to Detective Chimp, but if Bibbo Bibowski had found it, he wouldn't have been solving crime in quite the same way.

My interpretation of Set was that the Gods were balanced; Set couldn't beat Horus or Osiris in a one on one battle, but ultimately they couldn't vanquish him forever. A kind of stalemate that the Helm of Fate would break, allowing Set to forever change the course of the world.

While it does seem to be a significant "power upgrade" I'm not convinced yet that the new Doctor Fate is going to be, in effect, all powerful. Powerful and with a lot of knowledge at his hands, but still with the problem of sorting out how to use it.

Or I may be wrong, dunno yet!

Old January 28th, 2007   Mario is offline   #39
Mario
Neo Geoffan

I get the feeling, just a hunch, that the new Dr. Fate may not be more powerful than any other 10th Age magician, but he'll be better informed.

Knowledge Is Power, after all.

Old January 28th, 2007   Myth7 is offline   #40
Myth7
Advanced Geoffan

For a bit of fun....

Ibis II

"Stuck in a Groove" Puretone
Old January 28th, 2007   Raydawggie is offline   #41
Raydawggie
Neo Geoffan

One thing I liked is that this is probably the first time I've ever seen a Christian Egyptian character in a comic. Tad Williams actually remembered that not all Arab-Americans are Muslims. Now that's real diversity. I loved the book. Helmet of Fate is off to a great start.

Supergirl > everything

Listen to the Rabbitt Stew, featuring Raydawggie's Comics Countdown!

http://rabbittstew.libsyn.com/
Old January 28th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #42
Amentep

For a bit of fun....

Ibis II
ddf
Myth7 View Post
That's coooooL!

Old January 28th, 2007   Capt America1941 is offline   #43
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

it wasn't that bad......maybe a costume tweak and this could be a decent character....but once again, DC proves its the name and the costume, not the character that matters!!!! least they didn't kill Ibis off!

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old January 28th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #44
Amentep

it wasn't that bad......maybe a costume tweak and this could be a decent character....but once again, DC proves its the name and the costume, not the character that matters!!!! least they didn't kill Ibis off!
ddf
Capt America1941 View Post
To be fair, they've been working that way since the day Barry Allen became The Flash.

Old January 28th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #45
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

I suppose I should be glad they didn't go the goth route...
ddf
Mario View Post
That would, at least, have style and a real world connection--I mean nobody dresses the way that Ibis is shown. There are millions of Goths, in Seattle alone.

Grem--I know, I'm one of them...
Last edited by Gremlin; January 28th, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Old January 28th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #46
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

Ejem, the classical Ibis WORKS, is just that DC is so moronic in its attemps to create a "politicaly correct" comics that one of our dearest characters in Fawcett has been replaced by a kid who will die in the next BIG EVENT, do we bet?
ddf
Liandly View Post

Though I had a real hard time trying to make out what you are trying to say, due to misspelling and the like, could you please clarify exactly what you mean by "politically correct?"

Grem-

Old January 28th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #47
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

For a bit of fun....

Ibis II
ddf
Myth7 View Post
You make that look good!

Grem-

Old January 28th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #48
Amentep

That would, at least, have style and a real world connection--I mean nobody dresses the way that Ibis is shown. There are millions of Goths, in Seattle alone.

Grem--I know, I'm one of them...
ddf
Gremlin View Post
Yeah but "New Ibis" is a suit designed by an ancient Egyptian diety...who knows what kind of stuff he likes to dress in!