The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 25th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #17
Amentep

I don't really have a problem with the costume. I mean sure its not a suit and turban but then what is (besides an actual, you know, suit and turban).

I'd tweek it a little, sure, but I don't think the basic idea is bad.

Old January 25th, 2007   Dodge Dart is offline   #18
Dodge Dart
Advanced Geoffan

I thought the whole thing was pretty lame.

Wow, another classic character replaced by doofus teenager. Very original.

Stay tuned, more after these messages.
Old January 25th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #19
Amentep

ddf
Dodge Dart View Post
There seems to be a real move afoot at DC to try and create a new wave of characters. Part of that seems to be creating a large amount of characters who can actually go somwhere, rather than iterations of Bat-Super-Wonder who are forever stuck in the shadow of Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman.

Given that the other alternative is that Ibis and Taia died ignominiously in the first issue of someone elses comic for no real purpose, or having the torch passed in a relatively classy way, I'll take the relatively classy way. Ibis and Taia are still out there, still potentially able to awaken from their sleep someday.

Sure Danny is a teenager; I'm not convinced he's really a doofus though. He seemed pretty sure of what he needed to do, but not necessarily how to do it, which doesn't make him dumb, it makes him a neophyte. Something that's clearly not going to be the status quo if the end of the book is any indication.

Old January 26th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #20
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

ddf
Dodge Dart View Post
Hey their just getting this Earth filled with all of it's variants...

Grem--at least, I hope so.

Old January 26th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #21
Amentep

^To be honest, that's one of the things I've been wondering if they're planning on doing or not.

Old January 26th, 2007   Mario is offline   #22
Mario
Neo Geoffan

The costume probably wouldn't have bugged me as much if they weren't ALSO redesigning Sargon the Sorceror. Whatever happened to magicians with style?

Old January 26th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #23
Amentep

To be fair, while I like the suit and turban look (or even suited in general) there seems to be a perception that the suited/tuxedoed magician is passe.

Anyone else remember about Mandrake the Magician being licensed for a movie in the last couple of years and the producers saying that Mandrake was going to wear street clothes and be an edgy street magician?

It just seems that classic style isn't what people want to see. So it seems that since they're not going to stick with the suit & turban, that they've only got two directions to go, street clothes are hero costume. And personally I prefer most heroes to have a costume of some kind. But that's just me.

Old January 26th, 2007   Gremlin is offline   #24
Gremlin
Mischievous sprite

I prefer costumes, but this one is pretty badly designed. IMNSHO.

Grem-

Old January 26th, 2007   Mario is offline   #25
Mario
Neo Geoffan

I suppose I should be glad they didn't go the goth route...

Old January 26th, 2007   dipthegeezer is offline   #26
dipthegeezer

Well I bought it just the same and the costume definately needs to go or be tweaked. I did like the new ibis stick though kinda cool with the bird head thing, problem is this is all too much like the new blue beetle ... kid gets new power stumbles through trying to figure out his role/how to use the power etc, etc. Originality please!

Old January 26th, 2007   Patrick Gerard is offline   #27
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

9/11 did happen in the DCU but it's treated from a distance. Among other things, because the timeline slides, in a few years it will have taken place while Clark Kent was in high school and, eventually, before Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne were even born.

The M.O. seems to be (both our of respect and out of practicality) to refer to it as an historical event which the heroes don't date themselves by referencing as something they were around for.

The one reference I remember, I think Superman mentioned 9/11 in a list of events that included the Oklahoma City bombing and Pearl Harbor.

Old January 26th, 2007   Doctor Kent Nelson is offline   #28
Doctor Kent Nelson
Geoffan

I didn't mind the story... however the link with the helmet of Fate was extremely forced and unfortunately pointless.

Eric Strauss? Linda Strauss? Jared Stevens? Hector Hall? It's just not the same...Bring back KENT & INZA NELSON (Justice League animated style)
Old January 26th, 2007   Amentep is offline   #29
Amentep

I'm not so sure that it was really pointless; while we didn't learn much about the helmet's path (unlike Detective Chimp) we do get an establishment of two things that I think will be important to these one shots -

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Namely that the helmet wandering hostless is a BIG danger, and Danny's sending the Helmet on might explain why its trip is going to take so much longer than it, potentially, should have.

Old January 27th, 2007   bgztl is offline   #30
bgztl
Supreme Geoffan

I didn't mind the story... however the link with the helmet of Fate was extremely forced and unfortunately pointless.
ddf
Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
I don't know. My own thought is that the Helmet is accumulating the wisdom it "lost" when Nabu was taken out by the Spectre.

Significantly, the Spectre and the changing age of magic seems to have NOT affected the "sleeping" gods like Set and Thoth. Danny's spells to summon Thoth and Horus work. The Ibistick still works, albeit inconsistently. I think it's possible that the gods of the DCU are not technically magical. Perhaps they are meta-magical -- constructs or forms created by human beings to channel wild magic.

In the Detective Chimp one-shot we saw the helmet gather the secrets of the connections between everything in the universe and everything else.

In this one shot, the helmet visits the first human mythology and could be thought of as gathering the wisdom of the ancients. . . . which might just be a way of saying it's learning a paradigm for organizing the magical forces of the universe.

As for Danny being a waste of time. . . I think the point of this one-shot was that Danny was just starting out. Perhaps he will become a student of Thoth and Amentep. . . Perhaps his father has more secrets to tell him about his family's ancestry. . .

I find the last name -- Khalifa -- to be very intriguing

I would like to find out more.

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Mouse Guard
Old January 27th, 2007   achilles140 is offline   #31
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

One thing I have gotten from the two Helmet of Fate books so far is that it seems to be a whole lot more powerful than it was in the last run of JSA.

It seems to make its wearer virtually omnipotent, which is not a good thing IMHO. Basically, my problem with doing that to characters is that it almost by defualt consigns them to Vertigo, where they can have different sorts of stories than the standard superhero variety you get in the DCU.

Old January 27th, 2007   Liandly is offline   #32
Liandly
Geoffan

Ejem, the classical Ibis WORKS, is just that DC is so moronic in its attemps to create a "politicaly correct" comics that one of our dearest characters in Fawcett has been replaced by a kid who will die in the next BIG EVENT, do we bet?

Vote for Ficus! It produces oxygen!