The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 20th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #17
Amentep

Well I'm giving it a shot (if I ever get back to a comic shop) so I guess I'll see.

Old February 21st, 2013   Alan is offline   #18
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I really do hope the new book turns out to be good. The sentiment here so far is that it isn't but who knows. Noncenti can't have just forgotten how to write.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
She has. Honestly.

I've really tried, but every comic she has written at DC recently has been dreadful. I just read GA #16 last night (I'd forgotten about it and already read the excellent #17), and I would say it is one of the single worst comics I have EVER read. Just awful on every level. Now she may not have been bothered knowing she was off the book, but Catwoman is just as bad (and I have just dumped that too). I can't justify buying Katana or anything else written by her, pretty much ever again, unless she somehow gets back to what she was like on Daredevil post Miller.

Old February 22nd, 2013   jafabian is offline   #19
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Hey all. Let's remember not to take things too far against any comics creator. It's okay to not like a book but not to go much beyond that.

Thanks.

Old February 22nd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #20
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

She has. Honestly.

I've really tried, but every comic she has written at DC recently has been dreadful. I just read GA #16 last night (I'd forgotten about it and already read the excellent #17), and I would say it is one of the single worst comics I have EVER read. Just awful on every level. Now she may not have been bothered knowing she was off the book, but Catwoman is just as bad (and I have just dumped that too). I can't justify buying Katana or anything else written by her, pretty much ever again, unless she somehow gets back to what she was like on Daredevil post Miller.
ddf
Alan View Post
I loved her DAREDEVIL stuff. That's why it seems so odd that her recent output is unappealing to so many here. Hopefully she can be paired with the right title or editor and produce something more well-received in the near future.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old February 22nd, 2013   Alan is offline   #21
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Me too. I was really looking forward to her at DC. Shame.

Old April 1st, 2013   Amentep is offline   #22
Amentep

This was kind of interesting - I got 1 and 2 together and there was a stark, stark contrast.

Issue #1
*Art shot from pencils
*Art looks rushed (several panel choices hinder comprehension)
*coloring looks muted
*dialogue is awful, on the nose stuff ("No! I hate you!")

Issue 2
*Art is inked
*Art while still stylistic doesn't seem rushed (storytelling choices much clearer)
*Dialogue is better
*Coloring works better with art style

If I was a betting man, I'd seriously consider laying down a wager that Issue #2 was supposed to be the first issue and somewhere late in the game someone demanded a first issue to explain where they were at and how Katana had got there. And so Issue #1 was begat.

Its a pity; I don't think Nocenti has nailed it, exactly, but I see a lot of potential in the #2 issue that I don't in the #1. And odds are putting out such a sub-par #1 has doomed the remote chance of success the title had.

About the best thing the #1 offers is more clarity on the tattooed woman which is one of the more interesting concepts laid down. But #2 gives you what you need to know about Katana trying to use the tattoos to figure out what's going on. And we get a much better set-up of what is going to be the intitial (at least) conflict between Katana and some of the other martial artist villains.