The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Video Games

Video Games woot! America's new favorite pasttime

Old May 18th, 2008   Human Bong is offline   #1
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Default GTA IV, do decisions really affect the gameplay?

So I just beat GTA (kind of short IMO, but it could be due to the lack of annoying, frustrating missions), and I'm wondering if the story or gameplay will be different a 2nd time around if I do the opposite of every choice I'm given. I don't plan to start playing again right away, but it would be nice if I got a few different missions, instead of a safehouse or car. I checked some websites with faqs and walkthroughs, but i couldn't find an answer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old May 19th, 2008   PMH is offline   #2
PMH
Freedom Fighter

Short?! I am like 40 hours in and I still only have 2 islands open.

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old May 19th, 2008   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #3
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

So I just beat GTA (kind of short IMO, but it could be due to the lack of annoying, frustrating missions), and I'm wondering if the story or gameplay will be different a 2nd time around if I do the opposite of every choice I'm given. I don't plan to start playing again right away, but it would be nice if I got a few different missions, instead of a safehouse or car. I checked some websites with faqs and walkthroughs, but i couldn't find an answer.
ddf
Human Bong View Post
Well if you play 8 hours a day every game is short.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old May 19th, 2008   danimal_ok is offline   #4
danimal_ok
Supporters

I've had the game for two weeks, and I just got to the mission where you have the choice of letting Vlad live or die - I let him live, just 'cause. Not that far in, really.

I just can't sit and play hours at a time any longer (mostly old age )

Old May 19th, 2008   Human Bong is offline   #5
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Hey PMH and Jeffrey, I just about played this game everyday. If I wasn't studying or working, I was playing GTA. I beat it in about 25 hours, got a nice achievement for it and everything.
And I thought it was short compared to GTA SA or GTA VC. San Andreas seemed to go on forever, but as I said, I think it's mainly due to the frustrating missions-like the train chase with Big Smoke mission which took me at least 50 tries.

Hey Danimal, Let me know how things go with your game. I killed Vlad, so I bet he gives you missions or something.

So besides commenting on my playing habits, anyone have any help.

Oh, and Bioshock sucks!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old May 19th, 2008   danimal_ok is offline   #6
danimal_ok
Supporters

No tips, yet. I haven't figured the game out yet, so the learning curve is before me.

I did date - Michele, was that her name - the first GF you meet. And she invited me up for some 'coffee' I'm not into the "hidden adult content" people tell me was in San Andreas - not why I play it - but it's nice to see some things haven't changed.

Now, I'm thinking about going after the pigeons all over the place - the "fake" pigeons. I'm compulsive that way. The tagging in San Andreas was fun that way, and the taxi missions, and the fire truck mission was a blast (being fireproof was great when it got to the last mission.)

I think I just completed the first or second mission for Little Jacob(?) - the one where you go after the guys in the house and learn how to hide behind stuff.

Old May 19th, 2008   Asahi is offline   #7
Asahi
persona non grata

I've had the game for two weeks, and I just got to the mission where you have the choice of letting Vlad live or die - I let him live, just 'cause. Not that far in, really.
ddf
danimal_ok View Post
Oh crap.

I accidentally hit the button and skipped that part entirely when I approached Vlad. I assumed that was to approach him and execute him.

You had a choice?

Old May 19th, 2008   danimal_ok is offline   #8
danimal_ok
Supporters

Oh crap.

I accidentally hit the button and skipped that part entirely when I approached Vlad. I assumed that was to approach him and execute him.

You had a choice?
ddf
Asahi View Post
Oh yeah, it's a choice - apparently the game has a series of decisions you can make which to some level affect gameplay. When you have a decision, there is a blinking symbol (blinking blue and red?) over the situation, and the text tells you what choice you can make.

Old May 19th, 2008   J-Liv is offline   #9
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I have my impression of this game in a full review posted on my blog, which can be found here:

http://web.mac.com/sstilton/S._Scott...Blog/Blog.html

Old May 19th, 2008   PMH is offline   #10
PMH
Freedom Fighter

A 7 out of 10 on graphics Scott?!

I would give it at least an 8.5/9 on graphics myself. The game has so much going on its amazing to look at.

You mentioned the character's look. I thought Niko looks pretty bad ass. Brucie looks cool, Little Jacob looks cool, all the main characters look pretty cool. Now Niko's women that's another story, they look pretty bland most of the time.

Anywho, I really love this game!

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old May 20th, 2008   danimal_ok is offline   #11
danimal_ok
Supporters

I had to turn the subtitles on because for the life of me, I could not understand one bit of dialogue from Little Jacob without help.

Old May 20th, 2008   Human Bong is offline   #12
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

I had to turn the subtitles on because for the life of me, I could not understand one bit of dialogue from Little Jacob without help.
ddf
danimal_ok View Post
I did the same

And I answered my own question, thanks for staying on topic everyone . It seems the only mission that can be different based on your decisions is the final one. You make the choice when it happens, so it doesn't seem to matter who you kill or let live along the way.

Played the online co-op with PMH and friends last night-It's a lot of fun. After we did some of the missions, we just ran around the city in free mode causing trouble. Army copters everywhere!

Old May 24th, 2008   J-Liv is offline   #13
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

A 7 out of 10 on graphics Scott?!

I would give it at least an 8.5/9 on graphics myself. The game has so much going on its amazing to look at.

You mentioned the character's look. I thought Niko looks pretty bad ass. Brucie looks cool, Little Jacob looks cool, all the main characters look pretty cool. Now Niko's women that's another story, they look pretty bland most of the time.

Anywho, I really love this game!
ddf
PMH View Post
I loved EVERYTHING except the character models. Niko looked good, but the other characters looked bad to me. The women were especially bad.

I really appreciate that you took the time to read the review. I'm looking at starting up a review site of sorts in the near future with some fellow aspiring writers, so any and all criticisms are helpful. Thanks.

-J