The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old March 31st, 2009   Elias is offline   #1
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Default Star Trek: Into The Darkness

From Variety: 'Star Trek' sequel on track - Paramount hires trio to pen screenplay

As Paramount Pictures readies the May 8 release of its "Star Trek" franchise relaunch, the studio is moving forward with a sequel, and has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to pen the screenplay.

J.J. Abrams, who directed and produced the latest chapter, is onboard to produce the follow-up alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk. No decision has been made yet on whether Abrams will return behind the camera for the sequel.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof also are receiving producing credit on the sequel.

Story is still in the embryonic stage, but the trio are aiming to deliver their script to the Melrose studio by Christmas for what would likely be a summer 2011 release.

"There's obviously a lot of hubris involved in signing on to write a sequel of a movie that hasn't even come out yet," said Lindelof, co-creator with Abrams of ABC's "Lost" who produced the upcoming "Trek" but did not contribute to Orci and Kurtzman's screenplay. "But we're so excited about the first one that we wanted to proceed."

As for potential storylines, Kurtzman stressed that the writing team will wait to take a cue from fan reaction about which direction to go.

"Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month," he said. "With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do."

Though Orci and Kurtzman have worked together as a writing team for more than 12 years, the duo has worked with Lindelof on only one screenplay: DreamWorks' "Cowboys and Aliens," which they are currently writing together.

Paramount has high hopes for the "Star Trek" relaunch, and is pulling out all the stops on the marketing front. Studio began a full-scale campaign six months before the film's May bow.
ddf
TATIANA SIEGEL

Old May 5th, 2009   Elias is offline   #2
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From Coming Soon: Star Trek Crew on a Possible Sequel

"It would be incredible fun to get to do it again," director J.J. Abrams told us. "It is also insanely presumptuous to assume that it will work when it's out there, that people will like it, and that there will be a need for another one. If there is, the good news is that there's a deal for the writers and a deal for the actors. It's in place. We have not had one meeting. We have not had one discussion. There's no outline. There's no script. There's nothing. We're fishing for ideas."
ddf
CS: I'm on a one-man mission to plant the seed now. If you decide to revisit the character of Khan, two words: Javier Bardem.

Kurtzman: Oh my God!

Orci: Did you know we've actually mentioned that out loud as a possibility? What a great idea.

Lindelof: Come on. That's a no-brainer. That would be the most amazing thing ever. Who would even what to see these [new] guys then? That's the problem. You would just watch them for scenery.
ddf
Scott Huver

Old May 10th, 2009   Eric Q is offline   #3
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I don't think I want to see Khan again, unless they come with something really great, I rather see them go in a different direction that the franchise may not have trekked though yet.

I'm sure someone has better ideas, but here are some of mine...
A galactic or planetary war breaks out, the ship gets shot down and the crew is stranded behind enemy lines and they have to help their allies or freedom fighters take down the enemy.
The crew somehow end up in the future to right a wrong, a wrong that was unintentionally caused by them in the first place.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old May 10th, 2009   Hamish Campbell is offline   #4
Hamish Campbell
Geoffan

Definitely don't want to revisit Khan, the previous outings with the character are great and don't need revising even in the new time line.
Mainly I'd like to see them smarten up the next story, while maintaining the vibe of the new.
With the Starfleet mission being 'humanitarian and peace keeping' they could do a lot with that with regards to moral delemmias, and keep the action content high if they follow the Kirk brand of diplomacy

Old May 10th, 2009   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

I'd rather the sequel not devolve into retreading stories from TOS or the TOS movies (unless they can REALLY twist them into something new).

New Alternate Reality should give them new stories, IMO.

Old May 10th, 2009   KevinTBrown is offline   #6
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

I think it's time for an all-out war with the Klingons.... New possibilities, new direction, etc. It's time to do things they never did with the show or the movies, things that the fans knew they'd never really do.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear
Old May 10th, 2009   Ryster is offline   #7
Ryster
Master Geoffan

I agree, the Romulans play such a part in the latest installment. As they did with the previous movie. Time to get a great Klingon story, last one was of course Star Trek VI. I don't count anything from III or V. They were very forgettable plot uses.

Ryster
Old May 10th, 2009   oddballuk is offline   #8
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

I think it's time for an all-out war with the Klingons.... New possibilities, new direction, etc. It's time to do things they never did with the show or the movies, things that the fans knew they'd never really do.
ddf
KevinTBrown View Post
I was just thinking the same thing.

Klingons for the next film please!

Kang or Kor even?

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old May 10th, 2009   chasm is offline   #9
chasm
Master Geoffan

It has been a while since we've seen some Klingon love. That would be a great story.

I'm also a sucker for uncovered advanced alien technology from fallen civilzations.

Now that the origin story is established it will be fun to see the new cast members up to speed.

Old May 14th, 2009   Elias is offline   #10
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

From MTV: 'Star Trek' Sequel Will Deal With 'Unpredictable Future'
Word already leaked more than a month ago that at least one "Trek" sequel is in the works, and the series' gatekeepers confirmed to us that such memorable characters as Khan Noonien Singh and Dr. Tolian Soran are among the many characters whose life courses may have been altered by the events of the new film.

"All the characters who existed in the universe or canon we grew up with are essentially still around in some capacity," Kurtzman explained. "But their lives have been altered, so they may again intersect with our crew."

"There's a deal in place with the writers and the actors," Abrams said recently of "Trek" sequel plans, explaining that all the key actors are under contract to return. "If people like this movie, and there's a demand for another one, we would be happy to work on it."

Well, they certainly did — and Kurtzman and his writing partner Roberto Orci (who also collaborated on the upcoming "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen") told us that their minds are already swimming with sequel possibilities.
ddf

Old May 14th, 2009   Feltonbass is offline   #11
Feltonbass
Yep....

See, I'm OK w/ revisiting Kahn.

Maybe Kirk and Company doesn't find the Botany Bay, maybe it's someone else on another ship.

Maybe he manipulates members of Starfleet to his way of thinking, and gains followers...esentially taking over Starfleet from within and Kirk leads a rebel contingent against Kahn and Starfleet in part 3.

You could really do anything at this point.

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old May 14th, 2009   Atom is offline   #12
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

See, I'm thinking of Khan with a different twist.

How about demonstrating that since Starfleet Intel started becoming more active against alien races, that this also escalated the alien races intel ops. As a result, a Romulan ship encounters Botany Bay and begins to take the ship home, when they are attacked and destroyed by the Klingons. So the Klingons end up taking the ship home and experimenting with the crew of the Botany Bay. Their DNA then forms the matrix for the Klingon-Human hybrids that were seen in TOS and became an embarassment to the Empire. But Khan, imprisoned along with his people by the Klingon Empire, sends out a distress call to Starfleet, and Kirk responds.

Could make for a very interesting twist to have Kirk battling the Klingons for the safety of Khan, who we all know will take advantage of his freedom the first chance he gets.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old May 14th, 2009   Feltonbass is offline   #13
Feltonbass
Yep....

See, I'm thinking of Khan with a different twist.

How about demonstrating that since Starfleet Intel started becoming more active against alien races, that this also escalated the alien races intel ops. As a result, a Romulan ship encounters Botany Bay and begins to take the ship home, when they are attacked and destroyed by the Klingons. So the Klingons end up taking the ship home and experimenting with the crew of the Botany Bay. Their DNA then forms the matrix for the Klingon-Human hybrids that were seen in TOS and became an embarassment to the Empire. But Khan, imprisoned along with his people by the Klingon Empire, sends out a distress call to Starfleet, and Kirk responds.

Could make for a very interesting twist to have Kirk battling the Klingons for the safety of Khan, who we all know will take advantage of his freedom the first chance he gets.
ddf
Atom View Post

Neat twist. I like it.

Although I like the "old wives tale" of the Tribbles causing the ridges on the Klingons heads.

One man's pathetic quest to make it SDCC 2010

www.jedisnakeeyes.blogspot.com
Old May 14th, 2009   Director of Everything is offline   #14
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

I say show us something we've never seen before. Create something original.

Space is vast. The mission statement is massive. Use it.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old May 14th, 2009   Diamondrock is offline   #15
Diamondrock
Azrael Advanced

Gorn!

Old May 14th, 2009   KevinTBrown is offline   #16
KevinTBrown
My give a damn's busted

As I've said elsewhere:

No Khan.

No re-doing old stories.

No re-visiting old plots.

No Borg.

No Q.

Time to boldly go where no one has gone before....

They've got a grand opportunity to do NEW things and put new spins on races without re-visiting old storylines or characters. That's the direction I hope they go in and not try to re-do "Space Seed" or any other Star Trek show.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

KTB is right...
ddf
Mackaybear