The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 3rd, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #17
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

I was always under the impression (correctly or not) that "mutant" was an accepted term, as the mutants referred to themselves as mutants (and not ironically or in some "own the slur" type of way).

Now "mutie" was always obviously meant to be derogatory.

Regardless, I wish (and this sounds so naive and pollyannaish) that in reality people were just people and their racial (not cultural, mind you; that's different) ancestry only mattered at all to anyone when it came to medical issues that differ for people of varying genetic backgrounds.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I believe that it's ok for a mutant to call oneself or a fellow mutant by the term mutant. However if your not a mutant then it's unacceptable.

There are examples I can give regarding real life situations but will refrain from doing so in case I accidentally offend someone.

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old April 3rd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #18
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

While true, if you look at history you will see that words which have been used for years or decades, becoming less acceptable. Just in the past 100 years, both the words Negro and Colored, which at one time were used frequently and without insult by people of all races, now would get you a quick punch or dressing down.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
I was actually thinking about that in regards to this. In some ways I see the comparison.

In a way isn't that Alex's argument though?

Whether you think "mutant" is a slur or not, classing people as mutants is a way of creating an "other" out of a segment of humanity. Sociologically people are less likely to feel empathy for society's others than they are for individuals they know.

So Alex's point is that he's an individual, not a monolithic group of people which really exists as an artificial construct to group together disparate individuals (and in Alex's opinion, dehumanize them).
ddf
Amentep View Post
That's how I perceived the comments, as a plea to be viewed as an individual first. How in the world can that sentiment offend anyone? How can "diversity hawks" be opposed to expressions of individuality, the ultimate form of diversity?

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 3rd, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #19
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I believe that it's ok for a mutant to call oneself or a fellow mutant by the term mutant. However if your not a mutant then it's unacceptable.

There are examples I can give regarding real life situations but will refrain from doing so in case I accidentally offend someone.
ddf
chrisbenes View Post
That was what I meant by "owning the slur" or whatever. I thought mutant was the "clinical" or "correct" term in the Marvel Universe.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 3rd, 2013   chrisbenes is offline   #20
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

That was what I meant by "owning the slur" or whatever. I thought mutant was the "clinical" or "correct" term in the Marvel Universe.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
for a while I did as well. But apparently I may have been mistaken

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old April 3rd, 2013   LionKnight is offline   #21
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

I'm just waiting for someone to pick up on the obvious joke and start calling "mutants"..."alexs"

The All New All Different Alexs!

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old April 4th, 2013   Matches is offline   #22
Matches
stepping aside

Also, is it just me or has Cyclops started to become Magneto while Alex has become Xavier?
ddf
Peter Aitken View Post
Not just you. I believe this is definitely Marvel's intention. Cyclops has pretty clearly morphed into Magneto. I think Remender's trying to set Havok up as the counter-point, remains to be seen whether he will succeed.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 4th, 2013   Penny Dreadful is offline   #23
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I'm just waiting for someone to pick up on the obvious joke and start calling "mutants"..."alexs"

The All New All Different Alexs!
ddf
LionKnight View Post
Maybe they'll start calling mutants "genetically challenged" per Strong Guy.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old April 4th, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #24
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

Not just you. I believe this is definitely Marvel's intention. Cyclops has pretty clearly morphed into Magneto. I think Remender's trying to set Havok up as the counter-point, remains to be seen whether he will succeed.
ddf
Matches View Post
He definitely has a little way to go before he can be the new Xavier.
Look forward to seeing them try though.

Old April 4th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #25
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Maybe they'll start calling mutants "genetically challenged" per Strong Guy.
ddf
Penny Dreadful View Post
Wouldn't homo sapiens be "genetically challenged", as they can do less than?

"Something profound" - Me
Old April 4th, 2013   imarriedsatanII is offline   #26
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

In a way isn't that Alex's argument though?

Whether you think "mutant" is a slur or not, classing people as mutants is a way of creating an "other" out of a segment of humanity. Sociologically people are less likely to feel empathy for society's others than they are for individuals they know.

So Alex's point is that he's an individual, not a monolithic group of people which really exists as an artificial construct to group together disparate individuals (and in Alex's opinion, dehumanize them).
ddf
Amentep View Post
And this.

Imagine, comic readers blowing something extremely out of proportion. *rolls eyes*

Also, as I believe TJ pointed out, what I find bizarre is that no other writer has thought to have another character make this kind of speech long before now.

I also agree on the point that it's silly that people are frightened of mutants and not other characters with superpowers. How would your average MU citizen know that Storm was a mutant and Spider-Woman was not? I believe the "mutant as a minority" thing just needs to be done away with altogether. Marvel was closer to believability with the concept of the superhuman registration stuff during Civil War.

"Something profound" - Me
Old April 4th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #27
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

Character have made similar speeches, though this was the first to reject the word mutant all together. I'm sure if the internet was popular back than the same people would have complained.

Old April 4th, 2013   LionKnight is offline   #28
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

Wouldn't homo sapiens be "genetically challenged", as they can do less than?
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
heh... maybe, but mostly it's an old X-Factor reference when Peter David had Strong Guy come up with the term and then made it Gee Cee's for short.

Havok trying to use the term correctly at the time was pretty funny.

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old April 4th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #29
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

I also agree on the point that it's silly that people are frightened of mutants and not other characters with superpowers. How would your average MU citizen know that Storm was a mutant and Spider-Woman was not? I believe the "mutant as a minority" thing just needs to be done away with altogether. Marvel was closer to believability with the concept of the superhuman registration stuff during Civil War.
ddf
imarriedsatanII View Post
The single most ludicrous example is Hank McCoy. As an X-Man, when he looked pretty "normal", he gets torches and bottles thrown at him and people wetting themselves at the sight of him. As an Avenger, when he looks like a big blue ape like creature, but not quite an ape....people love him and he's treated like a celebrity.

Yeah, THAT'S consistent and logical.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 4th, 2013   Werehunter is offline   #30
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

The single most ludicrous example is Hank McCoy. As an X-Man, when he looked pretty "normal", he gets torches and bottles thrown at him and people wetting themselves at the sight of him. As an Avenger, when he looks like a big blue ape like creature, but not quite an ape....people love him and he's treated like a celebrity.

Yeah, THAT'S consistent and logical.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I love it when it would be brought up from time to time.

One I like is the first arc of X-treme X-men, and Spain captures the team. When identifying them, they come across Beast's Avengers ID card and only then do they get worried about capturing a honest to god superhero. The rest of the X-men, not so much.

Old April 4th, 2013   Matt Olsen is offline   #31
Matt Olsen
Dark Lord of Daffodils

I hardly see it as "all of a sudden". People in universe were using "mutant", "mutie", "genefreak" and various other terms to describe X-related characters in not so flattering ways since the 60's. What IS all of a sudden is that someone called them on it. I don't find it an analogue for "declaring that a commonly used word is offensive out of the blue", but saying that certain words that WERE meant in a derogatory fashion (the N-word, the F-word, certain words to describe Jewish people or Chinese people...hey, I'm not getting banned just to make a point) are offensive.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
The real-world analogy would be a black guy calling someone out on calling him black and saying that the "B-word is everything he hates". The fact that mutants have been calling themselves mutants forever, as Mr. Wrong puts it, without any irony or "own the slur" tones, just means this really is out of the blue. And silly and whiny.

As far as the concept of not needing to have a term at all, that's just empty-headed idealism in this scenario. When your headquarters is a school for people like you and has been built around a giant sphere meant to find people like you, it's kinda useful to have a term for what makes you unique.

"He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action..."
Old April 4th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #32
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

The real-world analogy would be a black guy calling someone out on calling him black and saying that the "B-word is everything he hates". The fact that mutants have been calling themselves mutants forever, as Mr. Wrong puts it, without any irony or "own the slur" tones, just means this really is out of the blue. And silly and whiny.

As far as the concept of not needing to have a term at all, that's just empty-headed idealism in this scenario. When your headquarters is a school for people like you and has been built around a giant sphere meant to find people like you, it's kinda useful to have a term for what makes you unique.
ddf
Matt Olsen View Post
Mutants have been calling themselves that, true. But when non-mutants used the word, it was...well, not used as a designation most times and usually followed with words like "scum", "trash", "menace"....you know, like telemarketers.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio