The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 13th, 2006   nacho is offline   #193
nacho
just a superboy fan

OK HERE IT IS HOPE IT'S BIG A-NUFF.

Old June 13th, 2006   Ghaliya is offline   #194
Ghaliya

Yes, that's it.

diana_fan - thanks for the info.

Old June 13th, 2006   Askanipsion is offline   #195
Askanipsion
Geoffan

This is only the 1st issue so we are not sure WHY Diana is working with them. Lets wait 2 issues until this storyline is over to see.

Dunno why Donna is using a sword. Maybe it is magical....I am sure it will be explained.

BRING BACK LILITH !!!!

DC save the "Titans"!!
Old June 13th, 2006   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #196
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

There's also the possibility that Diana Prince ISN'T Wonder Woman in disguise and it's just another fakeout. Dunno if that'd make anyone happier, but it's a possibility. (I, for one, agree with the 'Zero Tolerance' mode of comics reading: They screw up the character for you, dump the book. I'm still here because they haven't completely wrecked Diana for me yet, though I'm not that impressed with the story so far.)

I Love The Monkey's Uncle And I'm Mad About His Chimpanzee.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Old June 13th, 2006   Mighty ISIS is offline   #197
Mighty ISIS
Advanced Geoffan

does anyone have a picture of diana ifrom the last page of issue 1 .. I don't think that sh'e carrying a gun.
ddf
BlackTornado
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me!

hehehehehehehehehehe! Oh I just kill myself!

Ahem!

Lets put the FUN back into dysFUNction! :)
Old June 13th, 2006   Ghaliya is offline   #198
Ghaliya

lol

Old June 13th, 2006   Piper is offline   #199
Piper
Master Geoffan

Diana, I'll miss you.

I understand that lots of people wanted the tv show, Silver Age Diana Prince back. And now, they have their wish.

I, on the other hand, have been driven away from the title after just one issue. My favorite character. My favorite title. Gone. Done. Finished.
ddf
diana_fan
DF, I understand a lot of your complaints but we don't know for sure that Diana Prince is Diana of Theymscira. I can certainly understand dropping the title if it is, but you might want to read summaries of the issues when they come out to see if that's "our" Diana or not.

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old June 14th, 2006   diana_fan is offline   #200
diana_fan
Geoffan

DF, I understand a lot of your complaints but we don't know for sure that Diana Prince is Diana of Theymscira. I can certainly understand dropping the title if it is, but you might want to read summaries of the issues when they come out to see if that's "our" Diana or not.
ddf
Piper
I see what you are saying, Piper, but I'm not sure that the scenario you outline is necessarily any better. That would mean that Diana didn't even appear once in her own relaunch #1. I can see waiting until the last page, the way Rucka did in his first issue. But to have her not appear at all, and have a simple fakeout ... difficult to swallow as well.

But I certainly will read what people have to say about #2.

Diana: Not a liar, not a government tool, not a penitent.
Old June 14th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #201
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

I see what you are saying, Piper, but I'm not sure that the scenario you outline is necessarily any better. That would mean that Diana didn't even appear once in her own relaunch #1. I can see waiting until the last page, the way Rucka did in his first issue. But to have her not appear at all, and have a simple fakeout ... difficult to swallow as well.

But I certainly will read what people have to say about #2.
ddf
diana_fan
Diana_Fan,

You KNOW I'll tell you everything you need to know about #2 so that at least one of us will be able to save money.

If you read my review in my sig, you'll see that you and I are pretty much on the same page.

Old June 14th, 2006   diana_fan is offline   #202
diana_fan
Geoffan

Diana_Fan,

You KNOW I'll tell you everything you need to know about #2 so that at least one of us will be able to save money.

If you read my review in my sig, you'll see that you and I are pretty much on the same page.
ddf
4PointOh
Thanks Bobby. I did read your review and thought it was excellent. The thing about this is that I really wanted to love this. I defended the idea of a relaunch for months, and I was completely happy to see a Dodson art team. I had heard good things about Heinberg on YOUNG AVENGERS, but the only Marvel titles I read are ASTONISHING and SHE-HULK.

Would I rather that Rucka had continued on the title? Sure. But the "idea" of a relaunch wasn't a problem for me. The execution, as it turns out, is a different story.

Anyhow, there is probably more discussion concerning Wonder Woman than at any time in the recent past, excepting the Max Lord incident. I suppose that's something.

Diana: Not a liar, not a government tool, not a penitent.
Old June 15th, 2006   Ragnell is offline   #203
Ragnell
Evil Fem-muh-nist

Oh shoot, she's holding a lightsaber isn't she?

Old June 15th, 2006   Kevin Street is offline   #204
Kevin Street
Geoffan

Default Just read it

...and I'm not that interested in this story, sorry to say.

Positives:
- Fixing Donna Troy's place in continuity as Diana's sister. Apparently Donna has lost some of her powers over the last year and is no longer a goddess or the new Harbinger, but she is the new Wonder Woman. It's good to see her given a solid place in the DCU that fits with her past.

- The art. The Dodsons are very dynamic and interesting artists. They do a good job here.

Negatives:
- The villains. Cheetah seems to be hugely underpowered compared to how we saw her last. (The side effect of being more human?) Anyway, it's hard to imagine her giving Diana much trouble now. Giganta is about the same, even if he has a new costume, she's still just a clumsy giant. And Doctor Psycho seems kind of drab here compared to the lunatic he used to be. How in the world could he work with two women without him killing them or them killing him? He's a woman hating rapist with control freak tendencies. This bunch would be inclined to fight each other at least as much as Wonder Woman, unless some greater power is keeping them in check.

- The story. There's a lot of splash pages here, but not much actually happens except for round one of the fight. And I'm not clear on how Nemesis was kidnapped by the villains in the first place. Doctor Psycho would have known who he was immediately (long before Donna Troy got there), and could have even used him as a puppet. The Donna Prince thing is sort of an interesting surprise, but it's hard to have an opinion on her without knowing where the story will go yet.

I can't say I'm that interested, though. There wasn't really enough story here to get me to buy a second issue.

Old June 15th, 2006   Kevin Street is offline   #205
Kevin Street
Geoffan

Default Just read this thread

Edit: I meant to say "the Diana Prince thing," but typed "Donna" by mistake. Apologies.

And what was with Donna? When did she become a total incompetent? When did she become the sort of heroine who would hand over her lasso? This is the woman who has lived multiple lives and fought supervillains since forever? Really?
ddf
diana_fan
Actually, that one isn't too hard to explain. Donna was expecting to fight a single opponent, but then Minerva showed up with multiple Cheetahs. Donna couldn't fight the cats and keep Steve Trevor safe at the same time, so she surrendered for his sake. She may also not be keen on hurting animals, but that's just a guess.

On another note, I hope Terry Dodson can refine his version of Donna Troy a bit more. In this issue they have her looking more like Diana than her old self.

Old June 15th, 2006   Piper is offline   #206
Piper
Master Geoffan

Actually, that one isn't too hard to explain. Donna was expecting to fight a single opponent, but then Minerva showed up with multiple Cheetahs. Donna couldn't fight the cats and keep Steve Trevor safe at the same time, so she surrendered for his sake. She may also not be keen on hurting animals, but that's just a guess.
ddf
Kevin Street
I don't know much about Donna, but I'm guessing as an Amazon she wouldn't have a problem hurting an animal. She wouldn't want to hurt one, but I think she would if it was a matter of saving herself of others.

I liked your point about Psycho; he should have known if that was Trevor or not. Then again, it's possible it doesn't matter. As long as Wonder Woman thought Steve was in trouble, she'd (theoretically) show.

The Flash: Fastest Man Alive #12
(...3x2 (9yz)4a)
Old June 15th, 2006   Chas Multoon is offline   #207
Chas Multoon

Diana, I'll miss you.

I understand that lots of people wanted the tv show, Silver Age Diana Prince back. And now, they have their wish.

I, on the other hand, have been driven away from the title after just one issue. My favorite character. My favorite title. Gone. Done. Finished.

Diana would not make her whole life a lie. I simply don't believe it. And she certainly wouldn't work to forward the agenda of a particular government. There's something horribly, horribly wrong, in my view, with a Diana who is an agent in the US Government. Diana carries a gun now, and takes orders from men. If that isn't fundamentally wrong, I don't know what is. And she lies, every minute she "pretends" to be Diana Prince. She's a liar.

And what was with Donna? When did she become a total incompetent? When did she become the sort of heroine who would hand over her lasso? This is the woman who has lived multiple lives and fought supervillains since forever? Really?

I can't believe that the first issue of WONDER WOMAN, a relaunch, would be dedicated to throwing out everything since George Perez. It amazes me that this was considered a good idea. On the other hand, people seem to really like it, so it goes to show what I (don't) know. I understand that comics are a business, and that appealing to the largest possible audience is very important. But it breaks my heart that Diana is no longer Diana. She's something else now, and I can't reconcile her situation with what I know about her.
ddf
diana_fan
Time frame is an amazing thing. Remember that your Diana was the doppelganger who replaced Moulton's Diana (the "real" Wonder Woman) in the great Perez coup. If there is now a third Wonder Woman, it's getting to be just a job at DC. Check it out on Monster.com!

I loved the first issue, anyway.

Old June 15th, 2006   4PointOh is offline   #208
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

Chas Multon? Charles Moulton?