The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old March 26th, 2011   Capt America1941 is offline   #113
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

Yeah, doesn't look good, does it?? Well, hopes springs eternal!!

fight the power !!!!! don't register!!!
Old March 26th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #114
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

It's not that the pitch sounds like a terrible pitch for a show in general; it just sounds like a terrible pitch for a show that's nominally about Wonder Woman. If I had heard that Kelley just made up an original character, and I heard what was essentially the same pitch, I would think, "That sounds kind of silly, but it could be fun. I'll probably check it out." Trying to attach it to WW, however, just sort of stretches it too far for comfort. Not saying it's a guaranteed fail, but...you know how, when a balloon has been over-filled, and you know that it's on the verge of popping, and you see some kid who has no idea batting it around, and every time he bounces it off of something you wince a little bit? Everything I hear about this show is like that (with the exception of the lead actress, whose overall hotness makes her immune to most of my critical considerations).

There are some ideas that sound iffy, but actually stand a chance of working if they're done right. Like, "Let's make a TV show that centers on Clark Kent's and Lex Luthor's formative years." Okay, so the execution turned out to be kinda goofy at times, but the premise itself turned out to be not quite as stupid as it sounded at first blush. But then there are ideas like, "Let's do a show about Iron Man, except he's a teenager for some reason who becomes Iron Man even though it's years before he invented Iron Man." Or, "Let's do a show about Dick Grayson's formative years, except his parents are still alive well into his teens and he's apparently not going to become Robin until he's thirty." This show seems to be sliding swiftly into that second category. Though, in this case, I still really, really hope that I'm wrong.

Old March 26th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #115
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

SCOOP: David E. Kelley’s Wonder Woman TV Pilot Script Dissected – Without Major Spoilers

-Identifies with ET the Extra Terrestrial when his movie comes on TV.

-Really loves planes. Like really.

-Pines for Steve like Carrie for Big.

-Wants to belong and be “among” people, not just “with” them.

-Sings along to the radio in multiple scenes – but nothing with a hairbrush in front of the mirror just yet.

-Doesn’t like being “marketed, commercialized, merchandised”, though she is – there’s a joke about Wonder Woman tie-in dolls having their costumes redesigned that seems to reference the recent makeover for the comics.

-When she’s Diana Prince she’s a mousey Miley Stewart, when she’s Diana Themiscyra she’s the Hanna Montana of businesswomen, and when she’s Wonder Woman she’s Wonder Woman – which is precisely twice in the whole episode.

-Is a capitalist.

-Puts on her PJs for an ice-cream filled sleepover with best friend Myndi.
ddf
....AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAahhaAHAHhaHA!!!!!

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old March 27th, 2011   Capt America1941 is offline   #116
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

It's not that the pitch sounds like a terrible pitch for a show in general; it just sounds like a terrible pitch for a show that's nominally about Wonder Woman. If I had heard that Kelley just made up an original character, and I heard what was essentially the same pitch, I would think, "That sounds kind of silly, but it could be fun. I'll probably check it out." Trying to attach it to WW, however, just sort of stretches it too far for comfort. Not saying it's a guaranteed fail, but...you know how, when a balloon has been over-filled, and you know that it's on the verge of popping, and you see some kid who has no idea batting it around, and every time he bounces it off of something you wince a little bit? Everything I hear about this show is like that (with the exception of the lead actress, whose overall hotness makes her immune to most of my critical considerations).

There are some ideas that sound iffy, but actually stand a chance of working if they're done right. Like, "Let's make a TV show that centers on Clark Kent's and Lex Luthor's formative years." Okay, so the execution turned out to be kinda goofy at times, but the premise itself turned out to be not quite as stupid as it sounded at first blush. But then there are ideas like, "Let's do a show about Iron Man, except he's a teenager for some reason who becomes Iron Man even though it's years before he invented Iron Man." Or, "Let's do a show about Dick Grayson's formative years, except his parents are still alive well into his teens and he's apparently not going to become Robin until he's thirty." This show seems to be sliding swiftly into that second category. Though, in this case, I still really, really hope that I'm wrong.
ddf
ADGood View Post
If it was a show for Oxygen or Lifetime Network, it would probably sell. If you're looking for a major network, if the pitch is anything to go by, it'll get cancelled pretty quickly.

Old March 27th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #117
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I've gots to agree with Adam Warren here.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old March 27th, 2011   ADGood is offline   #118
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I've gots to agree with Adam Warren here.
ddf
michealdark View Post
<Snaps fingers exclamatorily> Right, that's who I was thinking of. I remember now.

See, I could totally get psyched for a show about Emp. But...it's probably too much to hope that Kelley's WW show will have quite as much gratuitous sex, nudity and ninjas, right?

Old March 27th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #119
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I would LOVE a show about Emp. We can laugh at the comedy or comment of the fetishism all we want, but the fact is that it's one of the more human and real comics in terms of character interactions on the stands right now. Warren knows how to create flawed but easily relatable charaters. And the baudy humour, the nakedness, the sexuality, and the big superfights would just be extra spice to the cake.

RIP Tara
Old March 27th, 2011   J-Liv is offline   #120
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

God bless Adam Warren and Empowered. That's a show I'd watch in a heartbeat.

Old March 27th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #121
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I'm conerned that it's gonna get pulled down from here because of the swearing, so enjoy it while you can

RIP Tara
Old March 27th, 2011   J-Liv is offline   #122
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

I'm conerned that it's gonna get pulled down from here because of the swearing, so enjoy it while you can
ddf
michealdark View Post
Already saved it to my compy.

Old March 28th, 2011   Steve Chung is offline   #123
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

God bless Adam Warren and Empowered. That's a show I'd watch in a heartbeat.
ddf
J-Liv View Post
Likewise.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old March 28th, 2011   datalore is offline   #124
datalore
Advanced Geoffan

Well, I don't hate Palecki, but man, The dude from the new Knight Rider? this just keeps getting worse. I honestly think the best thing for this pilot is for it not to sell and try again next year on the CW with Serinda Swan as Diana and Jensen Ackles as Steve. Oh Datalore, One of the funniest things I ever saw was a clip of Waggoner trying to play Batman.
ddf
thunderdude View Post
yeah, it does get harder to like it, doesn't it?

I've met her. She is a legitimate 5'11".
ddf
FlashEarthOne View Post
Yay! Lucky guy...

ddf
ADGood View Post

I think that is the problem....its amazing that (at least in the movies, LIVE TV Shows, not so much) that the Marvel characters come off looking so much more like their comic equivalents, and EVERY Hollywood interpretation of DC's characters....look like someone never even went thru a comic, except to find names.

Empowered....#&*@ aces.

http://www.saac-mcr.com/main/myford/ "Anyone who has said words can't hurt you...has never been hit by a dictionary!"
Old March 28th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #125
jafabian
I’m not dead.

ddf
michealdark View Post

Your post was noticed and discussed. All moderators would STRONGLY prefer if you have doubts on posting anything on ComicBloc, simply don't post it. Or ask a moderator. It isn't appreciated when you publicly state that you are aware of your posts short comings and that you decided to post it anyways.

Or, you can post a link rather than the image with a note about language or graphic imagery. Other posters would appreciate that kind of thought on YOUR part as well since many post from their work employer.
Last edited by jafabian; March 28th, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old March 28th, 2011   michealdark is offline   #126
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

Sorry if I caused any trouble for anyone. Have to admit that it is a pretty funny response though.

RIP Tara
Old March 30th, 2011   Capt America1941 is offline   #127
Capt America1941
Advanced Geoffan

It looks like the makers of Wonder Woman read the internet, the costume has been changed and it reflects most of the changes mentioned here!
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/0...roines-costume

It actually looks better in motion than in the stills, imo.

Old March 30th, 2011   Lucifer complex is offline   #128
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

Maybe she needs a little makeup on her face, because some of those shots of her were not too flattering.