The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 23rd, 2006   John Hays is offline   #1
John Hays
Lovin life!

Default Superman Ultimate Collectors Edition

From Comicscontinuum.com:

Warner Home Video has released images and details for its Superman Ultimate Collectors Edition, due in stores on Tuesday, Nov.28.

The set will feature Superman Returns: Special Edition, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, Superman: The Movie Four Disc Special Edition, Superman II Two Disc Special Edition and Superman III and Superman IV Deluxe Editions. Also included are the documentaries You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman and Look Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman and Bryan Singer's Journals Extended Edition.

The set has a suggested price of $99.92.

Below are package images for the various versions of Superman Returns. Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old September 23rd, 2006   Adam Jones is offline   #2
Adam Jones
Mostly Harmless.

Dude, I think I just filled the cup...

"Sometimes, you have to be the boss of dancing." - Michael Scott.

www.myspace.com/bizarroadam
Old September 23rd, 2006   carmine007 is offline   #3
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

jeez can't i just get the donner cut of superman 2 by it self?

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old September 23rd, 2006   Director of Everything is offline   #4
Director of Everything
YOU'RE ruining comics

That's a bit of overkill, IMO.

Believe it or not, I LOVE COMICS!!! and it's only hard to tell because I know that they can be and SHOULD BE better.
Old September 23rd, 2006   Marky is offline   #5
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

I wonder what's gonna fill out the 4 disc Superman:The Movie set? The recent release was a flipper disc so that's two discs there but two more?

Also two versions of II is great with a bonus disc making 3 discs sounds good

I'd hoped Supergirl would be on here (terrible movie I know but if your gonna go all out on a set like this...)

Not sure if two documentaries are needed as "Look Up In The Sky" and the bonus discs of the features will make "You Will Believe" redundant (of course I know nothing about it but I'm just guessing).

Looks great but as carmine007 states above I hope the Donner cut of II and the 4 Disc verion of :The Movie are available separately.

Old September 23rd, 2006   Marky is offline   #6
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

*looks on google, answers own question and feels stupid *
Superman:The Movie
Disc One

Original 1978 theatrical version with soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1
Commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind
Theatrical trailers
TV spot
Languages: English & Français
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Disc Two

2000 expanded edition movie with commentary by director Richard Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz
Music-only audio track
Subtitles: English, Français, Español & Português (feature film only)

Disc Three

Three documentaries: Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend, The Magic Behind the Cape
Restored scenes
Screen tests
Audio-only bonus: additional music cues

Disc Four

Vintage TV special The Making of Superman: The Movie
1951 Movie Superman and the Mole-Men, starring George Reeves
Nine Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements: Oscar nominee Superman, The Mechanical Monsters, Billion Dollar Limited, The Arctic Giant, The Bulleteers, The Magnetic Telescope, Electric Earthquake, Volcano, Terror on the Midway

Superman II
Disc One

Movie with commentary by executive producer Ilya Salkind and producer Pierre Spengler
Soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1
Theatrical trailer
Languages: English & Français
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Disc Two

Vintage TV specials The Making of Superman II and Superman 50th Anniversary
New featurette First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series
Eight Famous Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements: Japoteurs, Showdown, Eleventh Hour, Destruction, Inc., The Mummy Strikes, Jungle Drums, The Underground World, Secret Agent

ALL the Fleischer cartoons!!!!!

Holy Hell I HAVE to get this now

Old September 23rd, 2006   Wg2100s is offline   #7
Wg2100s
Neo Geoffan

Looks like i better start saving for this.I hope Superman the movie has the deleted scenes(The cop that was following Otis's true demise.It wasn't the train,Superman diverting the flood to a town that needed water,and Luther's punishment of Mrs Trishbocker for freeing Superman.)The first Dvd edition didn't have it.If this one does have this,it will truly be the ultimate edition.

Old September 23rd, 2006   Marky is offline   #8
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Looks like i better start saving for this.I hope Superman the movie has the deleted scenes(The cop that was following Otis's true demise.It wasn't the train,Superman diverting the flood to a town that needed water,and Luther's punishment of Mrs Trishbocker for freeing Superman.)The first Dvd edition didn't have it.If this one does have this,it will truly be the ultimate edition.
ddf
Wg2100s View Post

Unfortunately it says it's the 2000 expanded edition which means those scenes still wont be in there

I loved the punishment of Miss Trishbocker scenes on the extras on the disc though but still, yeh, they should be in the picture.

I've not heard of those other scenes though, they sound cool, 'specially the cop investigating Otis' demise!

Old September 23rd, 2006   booyah is offline   #9
booyah
Effing Awesome Horseman

Location: Arkham Asylum, revolving door for the Criminally Insane

So is the special edition of Superman Returns gonna have the deleted scenes that got left out????

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum.....and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Old September 24th, 2006   John Hays is offline   #10
John Hays
Lovin life!

Couple things:

It's Miss Teschmacher, not Trishbocker

Nobody is forcing you to get the ultimate edition. All films are being advertised as coming out by themselves if you want to go that route. This is for the fans that want everything, like myself. So no, it's not an overkill.

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old September 24th, 2006   Marky is offline   #11
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

Couple things:

Nobody is forcing you to get the ultimate edition. All films are being advertised as coming out by themselves if you want to go that route. This is for the fans that want everything, like myself. So no, it's not an overkill.
ddf
John Hays View Post

I thought that name sounded wrong!

This set is definately worth getting at the price, especially for those without the Fliescher cartoons and Look Up In The Sky

CANNOT WAIT

Old September 24th, 2006   Thunderflash11 is offline   #12
Thunderflash11
Supreme Geoffan

okay scrap superman 3 and 4 and I'd buy that. I can't justify buying a boxset if i'm only gonna watch 3 of the five films there. But the extras rock hard, especially "look! up in the sky!" I loved that.

Old September 24th, 2006   Winston100s is offline   #13
Winston100s
Neo Geoffan

I think those extra scenes in Superman the movie were just added when it first debuted on regular tv for the first time.They broke the movie into 2 parts,but of course this was back in '81.Anybody remember this?

Real name---Winston Gombs
Old September 24th, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #14
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

okay scrap superman 3 and 4 and I'd buy that. I can't justify buying a boxset if i'm only gonna watch 3 of the five films there. But the extras rock hard, especially "look! up in the sky!" I loved that.
ddf
Thunderflash11 View Post
Same with me! If I didn't have the DVD for the documentary (which was awesome, IMO) and if the collection didn't include 3 and 4, then I would have considered getting the collection.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old September 24th, 2006   jonnjonz is offline   #15
jonnjonz
persona non grata

I'll be going the individual disc route. I like elements from Superman III - mainly his fight with himself - but not enough to wade through or spend the rest.

Does anyone else feel old when they refer to the making of documentaries as 'vintage'?

Old September 24th, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #16
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Couple things:

ddf
John Hays View Post
I myself would like to get Superman Returns Special Edition by itself, especially if this means that the movie is uncut. If WB plays smart, then they could include theatrical and uncut versions of Superman Returns on one DVD instead of selling just one version on one DVD.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.