The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old July 18th, 2007   Secret Publicity Stunt is offline   #1
Secret Publicity Stunt

Default Birds of Prey #108 - Swan Song

This is really, the end of an era. I remember my first issue was #69 (It's not what you think, swear) and I couldn't even begin to imagine the wild ride that we were brought on.

This issue is the "Whitewater Epilogue" but it's all that and more. It resolves the Barbara and Katrina feud, brings back the core four for some take out that looks almost like the one they had in Gail's first issue of Birds of Prey and the mystery that is Misfit, is no longer a mystery.

This is the perfect, PERFECT ending to Gail's run. If this would be the final issue of the series together, that would be perfectly alright with me. I think this is the best issue of the entire series, seriously. If it isn't, well it's definitely my favorite. It's complimented by the amazing art by Nicola Scott. Those splash pages.. wow. They brought everyone together, and by everyone I mean everyone that has ever worked with Oracle before. Except that is... Misfit.

But don't worry everyone, Misfit fans, she concludes this issue. In the best conclusion ever. Gail, for the first time, actually made me like Misfit. I guess all it took was a little depth. I would spoil it for you guys, but seriously, just go out and get the issue yourself. Seriously. It'll be the best investment you'll ever make.

Thank you Gail. Thank you so very much.

Old July 18th, 2007   Lucifer complex is offline   #2
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

Those splash pages were killer!! Too bad that couldn't be a four page pull out.

Old July 18th, 2007   Secret Publicity Stunt is offline   #3
Secret Publicity Stunt

ddf
Lucifer complex View Post
I agree. I hope it comes out in poster form, thats how good those splash pages were.

And an edit to my post: Misfit IS in the splash page, she was just kinda hidden behind Katrina's head.

Old July 18th, 2007   BART ALLEN is offline   #4
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

First, this was a wonderful issue, an end to what might be my fvorite run to a boo ever (simone's birds is up thier with anythign else in my book) I loved it, thinking this is Gail's last issue actually depresses me more then the death of a certian character a few weeks ago ,(atleast Nicola Scott is staying)

now my complaint they should of given Birds of Prey a 4 page spread if All star batman can get a fold out, the much better Birds of Prey can the book deserves.

I don;t have the words to describe how much i will miss Gail, but i promise to give Sean a fair chance

it's the end of an era, Congrats to Gail for making a great book from her first issue to her last, and it is not written anywhere she can never come back right?

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old July 18th, 2007   E2Brutus is offline   #5
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

Yeah, I have to give my props to that 4-page spread too. Nicola knocked that one out of the park!

Gail, "Whitewater Epilogue" was a perfect going-away present. It's an amazing thing to see so many threads ties up without it feeling forced--indeed, it felt so natural you'd think you were planning on leaving with this issue from the start. We'll miss you here, that's for sure.

Old July 18th, 2007   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #6
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

Maybe they can do the four page spread in the future trade?

Nicola knocked it not only out of the park, but out of the galaxy with that spread! If I were Spy Smasher, just seeing Barda and Shiva waiting for me would have freaked me out. Seeing the whole gang...wow. How can I possibly praise Nicola enough here? The look she drew on Zinda's face was awesome! That "in your face missy!" look made my day. And Power Girl was there for Babs? That's a miracle in itself. (Loved her 'sigh' expression.) Creote's tux, Catwoman's whip and the look of fury on Katana's face were also great. My biggest regret is that Josh wasn't up on the roof.

I also thought Nicola drew a great Connor Hawke. I'd love if Sean wrote him into a future storyline. I know he appeared here during the Dixon run.

Gail did an amazing job of wrapping up the Secret Six storyline, the Spy Smasher stuff and Misfit's background. She brought Zinda back the easy way. I also love that Babs kicked the crud out of SS and she had to run (crawl?) away. The rooftop gang didn't come to her rescue. Babs beat her on her own. They were just the frosting on her *** whuppin' cake. Babs' Batgirl t-shirt was sweet and I loved seeing Canary back. Gail couldn't say farewell without Dinah. The line about who invited Shiva was a hoot. Even though Canary is getting her own book, I hope she continues to appear here whenever she's needed. Forget Dinah & Ollie...the true power pairing is Babs & Dinah!

I kinda wish we could have seen more of Ice, but there wasn't enough time. Does this mean she'll be appearing in Checkmate soon? I have to see the Fire & Ice reunion!

Thanks for a great run Gail. I already thanked you in the other thread here so I won't go into it again. It'll just be weird to read BoP and not see your name on the cover. At least Nicola and Doug aren't going anywhere. (I hope!)

If you've never read BoP and are reading this...what are you waiting for? Go buy #108 immediately and see the awesomeness you've been missing!

Old July 18th, 2007     #7
Newton

How did Babs manage to contact everyone for moral support?

Old July 18th, 2007   LouieAussie1973 is offline   #8
LouieAussie1973
Advanced Geoffan

Well she's Barbara! she always have contacts somehow!

Anything regarding Ice????

It 's only comics folks!
Old July 19th, 2007     #9
Newton

Anyone have a scan of who Babs calls for help in this issue?

Old July 19th, 2007   Dan Loayza is offline   #10
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

Great issue, though was I alone in being just a little disappointed that there wasn't at least a passing reference to Guy Gardner?

#HEEL
Old July 19th, 2007   Michael Painter is offline   #11
Michael Painter
You're not my type

I loved the issue.
Does anyone know the lady in white was in the first part of the splash page?

Owww!!! That hurts!
Old July 19th, 2007   flamebird is offline   #12
flamebird*
Unabashedly Uninformed

How did Babs manage to contact everyone for moral support?
ddf
Newton View Post
She's Oracle.

She has EVERYone's private number!

We will get this book on schedule dammit.-geoff johns
"Christians consume baby seals."-Paul King
Old July 19th, 2007   rpi is offline   #13
rpi
Geoffan

The only, ONLY beef I have with this issue was that the whole membership spread wasn't a pull out. Honestly, I found it much more entertaining than either the All Star Batman pull out or the Justice League pull out. And I don't care if she is chairperson of the JLA, those last few pages reminded me that Birds of Prey is really where Black Canary belongs.
Thanks for one of the best runs on a title ever, Gail. I hope sometime in the future you take over a Batman title.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old July 19th, 2007   joesmallville is offline   #14
joesmallville
Neo Geoffan

I kinda wish we could have seen more of Ice, but there wasn't enough time. Does this mean she'll be appearing in Checkmate soon? I have to see the Fire & Ice reunion!

ddf
Jeff Nowicki View Post

Check out this week's issue of Checkmate(#16)

Old July 19th, 2007   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #15
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

ddf
Lucifer complex View Post
I know....and I must say.....hottest.....Nightwing.....ever

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old July 19th, 2007   Kyle Rayner is offline   #16
Kyle Rayner

Default who were....(splash page question and spoilers)

Who was the woman in white and dude who looks like he is in a bondage outfit? they are between metamorpho and whom i think is thorn?