The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > The Comic Shop: Creators

The Comic Shop: Creators but wait, there's more!

Old April 26th, 2007   Rajah1 is offline   #1
Rajah1
Geoffan

Default Interview with Gail

Hi folks. I thought you might be interested to read my interview with Gail looking back on Birds of Prey and ahead to Wonder Woman. Some nice insight into her thoughts on the Birds' journey and on taking on Diana.

Wonder Women

--Eric Lindberg
Comics Review Editor
www.brokenfrontier.com
Old April 26th, 2007   B_n_L is offline   #2
B_n_L
Neo Geoffan

Good stuff. Thanks!

Old April 26th, 2007   bookwriter is offline   #3
bookwriter
Slow Going

Great interview!!

When I wake up every morning, I say: "Variety is the spice of life."
Old April 26th, 2007   stephbarton is offline   #4
stephbarton

Great interview!

BF: The impulse of many new writers on Wonder Woman is to try and completely reinvent the character and series, a source of frustration to many fans. Why do you think this affects Diana more than the other members of DC’s "Trinity?"

GS: I think people bring their own baggage to Diana a little more than to the other two. Superman and Batman don't particularly represent masculinity, but even to the non-comics-reading public, Wonder Woman is a massively powerful feminist symbol. And everyone defines that differently. My goal here is to tell the most powerful and eye-popping stories I can tell, and let the strength of Diana's ACTIONS carry the message.

I especially like this bit, I understand WW is a feminist symbol, but I get sick of every person she saves being a victim of domestic violence or being some woman who needs to be inspired, I just feel that boxes Wonder Woman in to certain stories and events. So I'm glad to hear Gail is going to let ACTIONS speak louder than words (not to say WW can't tackle issues, but that it shouldn't be all that defines her)

Old April 26th, 2007   Dr Ray Palmer is offline   #5
Dr Ray Palmer
get your adverbs here

Great interview! I am still in permanent mourning over BoP -- in fact, all my clothes are off at the tailor having black armbands added as we speak -- but I must admit I'm getting a little excited about WW.

I could not agree more about the wonderful work Gail did with Canary, Huntress, and Oracle. She justified my lifelong love for one of them, and turned the other two from characters I ignored into characters I love ALMOST as much as I love the Canary, and for that, I am so grateful I can't even express it.

We have to make sure Wonder Woman doesn't get a chance to chat with Huntress and Black Canary any time soon. They'll tell her she's not just getting a new writer, she's being sent to Gail Simone's rehab center for broken super-heroines, and then Diana will storm out of her book in a huff.

Dr Ray Palmer :: I'm not microscopic, I'm just drawn that way
Old April 26th, 2007   Penthesilea is offline   #6
Penthesilea
makes you tegrof

Hope springs eternal. If anyone can make the mess that Wonder Woman has become work it's Gail, but I'm not overly optimistic.

"I'm an ivy league lesbian. You honestly think I've never fenced before?"
Old April 27th, 2007   flamebird is offline   #7
flamebird*
Unabashedly Uninformed

Arrow

Great interview! I am still in permanent mourning over BoP -- in fact, all my clothes are off at the tailor having black armbands added as we speak -- but I must admit I'm getting a little excited about WW. *snip*
ddf
Dr Ray Palmer View Post

Ok, so you're Naked and getting excited?

With an Atom avatar, that doesn't bode well.

Sorry, I couldn't resist and I actually agree with ya. I'm Still bummed that she's leaving BoP.

We will get this book on schedule dammit.-geoff johns
"Christians consume baby seals."-Paul King
Old April 29th, 2007   curiouswanderer is offline   #8
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I'm also bummed that Gail is leaving BoP, but was very excited that she was finally being given Wonder Woman. With each interview I read, I grow more and more confident that DC finally did something right for the character for the first time in a long time.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old April 29th, 2007   smallville is offline   #9
smallville
YoungJustus is remembered

I can't wait till Gail starts on the book...

"I Will Have a Wolverine FREE X-Book. In Fact, It Will Be Called 'No Wolverine.'-Whedon
Old May 5th, 2007   Flying Saucers Over Oz is offline   #10
Flying Saucers Over Oz
Wooden Saw-Horseman

Oh, I know Gail is going to be so GOOD on this... The hard part will be digging out from under the mess Heinberg and this AMAZONS ATTACK! left.

And she has to do the long-awaited, oft-requested Wonder Woman - Black Canary team-up!

I Love The Monkey's Uncle And I'm Mad About His Chimpanzee.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Old May 8th, 2007   WonderWatcher is offline   #11
WonderWatcher
Lasso of truth

I'm sure Gail is just going to turn it all around into a triumph for Diana.

But beyond that I'm really looking forward to a good few years of Gail writing WW and the plots she'll be able to develop over that sort of timeframe.

Old May 8th, 2007   Myth7 is offline   #12
Myth7
Advanced Geoffan

The only problem i have Allen Heinberg, is that i'm still waiting for the last part of his story! that and I'm desprate for him to start Young Avengers again!

But Gail is a brillant choice and i cant wait for her stories to start flowing! Especally the new villains, or re they just new to wonder woman? (oh i do hope she keeps Nemesis around as I find him both funny and cute)

"Stuck in a Groove" Puretone
Old May 8th, 2007   4PointOh is offline   #13
4PointOh
The Lower Frequencies

"BF: What to you is essential to the character of Wonder Woman? What can the series absolutely not do without?

GS: Just Diana, and her inner core. Honestly, I do believe we could put her in gym clothes and the Wonder Woman still shines through, with proper care. I think, the WONDER part is what I most want to see right now. I think she should be performing miraculous things, both small and large. What I can do without for a while is seeing her being manipulated by everyone constantly. I don't see Diana that way."

Can I get an AMEN???

Old May 9th, 2007   WonderWatcher is offline   #14
WonderWatcher
Lasso of truth

You can get an hallelujah!

Old May 10th, 2007   holo2 is offline   #15
holo2
Advanced Geoffan

" A little bit louder now...."

"You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"