The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old July 4th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Im not dead.

Exclamation The 10 worst JUSTICE LEAGUE members of all time

From Newsarama: The 10 WORST Justice League Members of All Time

I might take exception to the inclusion of Aztek. I harp on this a lot: if DC would leave Reddy alone and keep the origin Gerry Conway intact he'd be a great character.

Old July 7th, 2014   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #2
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Sorry but the list forgot the worst Leaguer ever - GEO-FORCE.

I don't remember him doing anything of note during his run. And other writers seemed to feel he was a huge joke, too - I remember him being written in the JLA/JSA crossover as a lame, over-confident jerk with boring powers. Didn't Sandman say something like "I can do what you do but way better."?

Old July 8th, 2014   TJLamb0518 is offline   #3
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

From Newsarama: The 10 WORST Justice League Members of All Time

I might take exception to the inclusion of Aztek. I harp on this a lot: if DC would leave Reddy alone and keep the origin Gerry Conway intact he'd be a great character.
ddf
jafabian View Post
IMHO, the problem with Reddy (and the Vision) is that they went from being characters to cannon fodder. "Hey, we haven't killed someone to make the bad guy look bad in a while. But we can't kill any REAL Leaguers! They have their own books! Wait a sec....don't they have a robot on the team we can take apart? And we can show it graphically since he's not human! AND hhe won't even be really dead, so we can spend months rebuilding him and then do it all over again! PERFECT! CUT! PRINT!"

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 8th, 2014   Matches is offline   #4
Matches
stepping aside

Well, I agree that's ONE problem with Reddy. One of many though, including the name (too many syllables), the costume design (looks like someone spilled paint on him), and the frequent, oh-so-frequent crying.

Worst ever is a stretch though. Yazz, Triumph, Geo-Force, Bloodwynd, and Steel (Hank Heywood edition) have all been members of the Justice League at various times.

And yes I'm sure this will be the cue for someone to point out that they liked Triumph or whatever. Gross - you're wrong, whoever you are. Seriously: Yazz.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old July 8th, 2014   jafabian is offline   #5
jafabian
Im not dead.

IMHO, the problem with Reddy (and the Vision) is that they went from being characters to cannon fodder. "Hey, we haven't killed someone to make the bad guy look bad in a while. But we can't kill any REAL Leaguers! They have their own books! Wait a sec....don't they have a robot on the team we can take apart? And we can show it graphically since he's not human! AND hhe won't even be really dead, so we can spend months rebuilding him and then do it all over again! PERFECT! CUT! PRINT!"
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post

Maybe at one point but for several years now we've seen almost everybody die. Jean Grey alone had died, what, 14 times now? A character dying and returning isn't restricted to androids anymore. Even non-super characters like Batman do it now. Graphically? Jason Todd's death was pretty brutal IMO. Same with the Hulk tearing Wolverine in half and Nightcrawler impaled by a sword. We've even seen Superman beaten to a pulp by Doomsday.

IMO, an android powerful enough to hold their own against several superheroes and being allowed to wander around on their own is a stretch, much less having them fall in love with a human. And both Reddy and the Vizh have had their backstories tinkered with so many times and so drastically I think readers have lost interest in them.

I liked Geo-Force being on the team, but no one's written him well beyond Mike W. Barr. I think he should be the Namor of the DCU.

Old July 9th, 2014   Werehunter is offline   #6
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

I don't think Geo-Force was actually ever officially on the team. Sure he helped out during Meltzer's run, but I vaguely remember him turning down official membership.

Old July 10th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #7
Amentep

I don't think Geo-Force was actually ever officially on the team. Sure he helped out during Meltzer's run, but I vaguely remember him turning down official membership.
ddf
Werehunter View Post
Actually I thought he accepted an offer after saving Red Arrow. But I might be misremembering. IIRC, he was then shifted to the new Outsiders team not long after joining the Justice League without his knowledge.

I have trouble claiming anyone as the "worst" when they have such a short tenure.

Old July 10th, 2014   Werehunter is offline   #8
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

That's why I typically ignore just such lists. Best of lists, I can typically deal with and enjoy. But worst lists are usually filled with people who were members for just a handful of issues.

Old July 10th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Or with people the writer would never like in any context.

I mean its all personal taste, but I think that a "good worst list" if such a thing is possible would have to factor in impact/length of impact. A bad character over 100 issues is certainly "worse" than an awful character in 3?

Old July 15th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #10
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I feel like I could come up with 10 worse Leaguers than the 10 they listed.

Subjective of course, all just my opinion, and not trying to crap on anybody's favorites...

In no order:

1-Triumph: JLA-origin-altering intro in the middle of a convoluted time travel story that felt like a repetition of DC's time-travel origin for Capt. Atom that was actually interesting THE FIRST TIME. Then, they make him a very unlikeable jerk in JL Task Force, a great way to endear an upstart blandish character to readers...

2-Agent Liberty: Did he ever serve a purpose at all? I can't remember any relevant contribution to a story or a battle or anything.

3-Orion/Lightray: I'm counting them as one because it wasn't that they were terrible characters, but their presence was just weird, seemed shoehorned in, and never really payed off in any way that seemed to make it worth their space at the table.

4-Maya: Whya?

5-Tomorrow Woman: Because the JLA needed another android with a pinnochio complex... at least Red Tornado was "classic".

6-Mystek: Does anyone else even remember this one?

7-Moon Maiden/Antaeus: Including them together because they were the same kind of lame, one-shot story characters that were given JLA membership because, hey, why not, and filled predictable roles in serving the function of one subpar story.

8-I'll include all of these as one: Naif Al-Sheikh, Coldcast, Sister Superior, Menagerie, Manitou Dawn... JLElite was just awful. Something about Joe Kelly's JLA-tenure just never sat well with me. Manitou Raven gets a pass, because at least he was somewhat relevant for a little while, even if he was the predictable "magic-Indian"... I would have preferred Apache Chief.

9-Loose Cannon. That's right. The big blue guy. Mr. '90s himself.

10-All of these characters: Geist, Joe Public, Lionheart, Osiris, Seneca...

It's impossible to narrow down the ten worst. I need parameters!!!

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 15th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
That'd be the lady in the stolen armor that made her look like a dude? Killed off because, as I recall, Priest introduced her to the comic before getting a proper rights assignment, DC didn't want the character and so he took her out of the book (or something weird like that, been too long).

Old July 15th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #12
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

That'd be the lady in the stolen armor that made her look like a dude? Killed off because, as I recall, Priest introduced her to the comic before getting a proper rights assignment, DC didn't want the character and so he took her out of the book (or something weird like that, been too long).
ddf
Amentep View Post
I didn't know about the rights assignment issue. that's more interesting than the character ever was.

Old July 15th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #13
Amentep

We eventually introduced a character named Mystek, but I killed her off when her miniseries was not approved. Mystek was supposed to be a creator-owned character, developed under a first-look deal, and I was instructed to put her into JLTF to introduce her to the fans in preparation for her miniseries. Then there was no series, so I shoved her out an airlock in JLTF #32.
ddf
from - http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/taskforce.html

So didn't quite remember it right.
Last edited by Amentep; July 15th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Old July 15th, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #14
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Ha!
"I shoved her out of an airlock..."

MURDERER!

Old July 15th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

And the Justice League just stood there and let him do it!

Old July 15th, 2014   mmk123 is offline   #16
mmk123
Geoffan

I feel like I could come up with 10 worse Leaguers than the 10 they listed.

Subjective of course, all just my opinion, and not trying to crap on anybody's favorites...

In no order:

1-Triumph: JLA-origin-altering intro in the middle of a convoluted time travel story that felt like a repetition of DC's time-travel origin for Capt. Atom that was actually interesting THE FIRST TIME. Then, they make him a very unlikeable jerk in JL Task Force, a great way to endear an upstart blandish character to readers...

2-Agent Liberty: Did he ever serve a purpose at all? I can't remember any relevant contribution to a story or a battle or anything.

3-Orion/Lightray: I'm counting them as one because it wasn't that they were terrible characters, but their presence was just weird, seemed shoehorned in, and never really payed off in any way that seemed to make it worth their space at the table.

4-Maya: Whya?

5-Tomorrow Woman: Because the JLA needed another android with a pinnochio complex... at least Red Tornado was "classic".

7-Moon Maiden/Antaeus: Including them together because they were the same kind of lame, one-shot story characters that were given JLA membership because, hey, why not, and filled predictable roles in serving the function of one subpar story.

8-I'll include all of these as one: Naif Al-Sheikh, Coldcast, Sister Superior, Menagerie, Manitou Dawn... JLElite was just awful. Something about Joe Kelly's JLA-tenure just never sat well with me. Manitou Raven gets a pass, because at least he was somewhat relevant for a little while, even if he was the predictable "magic-Indian"... I would have preferred Apache Chief.

9-Loose Cannon. That's right. The big blue guy. Mr. '90s himself.

10-All of these characters: Geist, Joe Public, Lionheart, Osiris, Seneca...

It's impossible to narrow down the ten worst. I need parameters!!!
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post

Mr Wrong
you got this list RIGHT!!!!!. All of those characters were horrible and the fact that they were ever considered for JLA membership shows what a horrible direction the Justice League took at various times

And I do agree with you about Joe Kelly's run. A few years ago I was getting clearing out some of my collection and Joe's run was the chunk of JLA books that I got rid of.