The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #1
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Default Wally West and Kyle Rayner: The Differences so far from Rebirth on...

I've been thinking a lot about the differences in how each of these characters have been treated since the Rebirths of each franchise. GL & Flash. IMO it is pretty clear that each of them have been treated very differently by DC editorial and the creative teams. Some examples.

Kyle Rayner:

-Had a huge role in Green Lantern Rebirth. He was the one that was able to recognize fear and the one who started to get his stuff together to save Hal. He also had quite a few cool moments. Fighting Sinestro, his conversation with Ollie on how it hurts to use the ring. Other things as well.

Wally West? Flash Rebirth?

-Not so much IMO. He ran to the speedcorce to get Barry and fixed everyones costume. To me, it didn't feel like much.

Kyle Rayner Post Rebirth:

-Starred in the Green Lantern Corps Recharge Mini series right after Rebirth. Had a big roll.

-Starred in his own limited series ION for a year.

-Big Roll in Sinestro Corps War with specials and all.

-Back in the Green Lantern Corps monthly.

-Had a big roll in Countdown.

-Hell, he even just had a big part in the recent JLA/JSA crossover...which I gotta say was pretty good.

Wally Post Rebirth?

-Guest starred in an issue of Magog.

-Appeared in Blackest Night and Blackest Night Flash but was a supporting character at best...but really was cameo appearences.

Thats about it...as far as I can remember.

Anyway, the point to my thread...it's been a while since Barry returned and as you can see in the same amount of time since Hal returned Kyle did SO much...so I am wondering is there something about the character of Wally West that is keeping DC from using him? Does it have something to do with the status quo? Happily married with two kids? Do writers have no interest or clue in writing him anymore because of his status quo? Just wondering what everyones opinion on this is. I miss reading about Wally West on a monthly basis. And I don't get how in the same amount of time since Hal's return Kyle was everywhere...and Wally is on the sidelines.

What's your thoughts? And before you say wait and see...I get that...there may be something happening in the future but I am wondering why we haven't seen anything yet...when in the same amount of time Kyle did so much.

Thanks!

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old September 7th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #2
Stephen Henel
Lord Magistrate of Mayhem

I think DC is focusing on Bart much more than Wally. Bart is probably more comparable to Kyle at this point. But yeah, Didio and Johns so far have not followed through on their promises (or threats, depending on your perspective) to make Wally the Kyle Rayner of the Flash universe. He's the G'nort. The problem is, not only is he not appearing a lot, but in his brief appearances, he never does anything to make a huge impression. He never does anything that makes people think "Wow, I need to read a book about THIS guy." That, more than anything else, is why I think most of DC's promises regarding the future of Wally West were just talk.

As promised, tapping out.
Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #3
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I think DC is focusing on Bart much more than Wally. Bart is probably more comparable to Kyle at this point. But yeah, Didio and Johns so far have not followed through on their promises (or threats, depending on your perspective) to make Wally the Kyle Rayner of the Flash universe. He's the G'nort. The problem is, not only is he not appearing a lot, but in his brief appearances, he never does anything to make a huge impression. He never does anything that makes people think "Wow, I need to read a book about THIS guy." That, more than anything else, is why I think most of DC's promises regarding the future of Wally West were just talk.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
Hate to say it. But I agree.

Shame though. Wally West is such a unique and fantastic character. The DCU is a little less special without him being spotlighted somewhere.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old September 7th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #4
Stephen Henel

And I know they say they have plans for him, but here's the thing...if you want to promote a character, you need to keep him visible and in the consciousness of the readers. That's EXACTLY what they did with Barry leading up to Rebirth. They had a mess of guest-starring appearances, they had other characters talking about him, building him up when he wasn't even around, and flat-out TELLING the reader he was important. That's how promotion works. There's no way around it. They are not promoting Wally, so clearly their plans aren't so big for him that they would feel the need to remind people he's still around. I think it'll take another year or so just to get the promotion ready to where the character has a decent push for a book.

Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #5
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Agreed. So, my question is why? Do they just not find the character interesting anymore due to his status quo? Family man.

Old September 7th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #6
Stephen Henel

Rebirth took a lot out of his tank as far as what set him apart from the other Flashes. "Family Man" is what he has left at this point. And the unsuccessful relaunch that thrust his children into the spotlight might have the editors thinking "that's not enough." They might not understand that people want to actually read a book where Wally is the guy who saves the day.

Old September 7th, 2010   virtuadept is offline   #7
virtuadept
bye.

I believe that Didio has flat out said that they are intentionally shelving Wally for the time being. They want to give Barry a chance to establish himself as "THE Flash" right now.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #8
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Rebirth took a lot out of his tank as far as what set him apart from the other Flashes. "Family Man" is what he has left at this point. And the unsuccessful relaunch that thrust his children into the spotlight might have the editors thinking "that's not enough." They might not understand that people want to actually read a book where Wally is the guy who saves the day.
ddf
Stephen Henel View Post
That's probably the case. And if he was still the lead guy they may want to give him another shot but since Barry is back I really don't they even care at this point.

Oh well, sucks for us.

Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #9
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I believe that Didio has flat out said that they are intentionally shelving Wally for the time being. They want to give Barry a chance to establish himself as "THE Flash" right now.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Wonder why they couldn't do that the same way they did it for Hal Jordan. There was no problem establishing Hal as Green Lantern with the others around. I mean, heck they had no problem copying so many other elements from the GL Rebirth franchise....why not this one?

Old September 7th, 2010   virtuadept is offline   #10
virtuadept
bye.

Maybe because until what 2 years ago Wally was THE Flash. Whereas the way the GL universe is set up, all of them are just "A" Green Lantern. Even Hal.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old September 7th, 2010   Lee H is offline   #11
Lee H
Geoffan

To make it a fair comparison, how much had Kyle Rayner been used between Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 and Green Lantern vol 4 #5?

Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #12
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

To make it a fair comparison, how much had Kyle Rayner been used between Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 and Green Lantern vol 4 #5?
ddf
Lee H View Post
Well, Green Lantern Recharge #1 came out (I believe) right around the time of Green Lantern #1. So he was co starring in that book for about 4 issues by the time GL #5 came out.

Old September 7th, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #13
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Maybe because until what 2 years ago Wally was THE Flash. Whereas the way the GL universe is set up, all of them are just "A" Green Lantern. Even Hal.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Yeah but wasn't Kyle the last of the Green Lanterns for about 7 years? Until he gave a ring to John again a couple years before Rebirth?

Wally might have been THE Flash but he has more supporting Flashes and speedsters than Kyle had GL's and any Flash had before him.

Old September 7th, 2010   starks is offline   #14
starks
Geoffan

They're obviously setting him up to be a major villain. What other use does Wally have?

Old September 7th, 2010   Stephen Henel is offline   #15
Stephen Henel

They're obviously setting him up to be a major villain. What other use does Wally have?
ddf
starks View Post
If they were doing that, then they'd actually have to use him in stories and develop him in that direction. Like they did with Hal. If he's going to be a "major" anything, he needs a push in that direction, and some legitimate heat. Everything so far has been half-hearted and lukewarm.

Old September 7th, 2010   Guru is offline   #16
Guru

Green Lantern is not the same as the Flash. they are superheros, but they are not the same character.

And there is this, Kyle needed to stay in the pages to be remembered, Wally doesnt.

So When Wally comes back, no one is gonna be who is this guy?

You live your life knowing you will die.

Doesn't that just rain on your parade.