The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #1
Amentep

Default Wonder Woman 77

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/12/wond...ic-announced-/

Writer Marc Andreyko will headline the series, with covers by former "Wonder Woman" artist Nicola Scott. The interior artists, who have not been announced yet, will come to the title on a rolling basis.
ddf
Since Batman 66 came out and was such fun, Wonder Woman and Superman series based on those shows were much wanted by me. Glad to see TV-WW get a digital series.

Old October 13th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #2
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Has anyone heard if the stories will be based on the first season (WW2) or the later 2 (the 70's)

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #3
Amentep

First question my brother asked too.

Nothing I've seen indicated. But given the rotating artists...maybe both?

Old October 13th, 2014   mmk123 is offline   #4
mmk123
Geoffan

Marc Andreyko did an interview on Comic Vine about this comic and Batwoman. He said that Wonder Woman 77 would take place in the year 1977. He was given permission from DC to use actual Wonder Woman villains since in the tv she only battle Nazi's or gangsters. The villains would be drawn with a 1977 style to them he said. He also mentioned that there would be a tale where Steve Trevor and Diana Prince go to Studio 54 and that like the tv show, Wonder Woman would have different outfits (he gave examples of how she had a skate boarding outfit and would have a mountain climbing outfit).

Old October 13th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #5
Amentep

Makes sense with the year designation, although I suppose they could do flashbacks. They could do more with IRA than the series did - wonder if Andreyko will try. And which version of Hippolyta will show up?

Also in Season 3, IIRC, there were a mini-pilot last episode that saw Diana Prince re-assigned to IADC in LA (rather than Washington) - wonder if those characters will make an appearance as well (Bret Cassidy and...Dale Hawthorne?)

There were a few clever villains (I liked the evil Magicians) so I hope some consideration is made to re-occuring some of the series villains (in addition to 70s TV version inspired classic villains).

Old October 13th, 2014   hurri-fan is offline   #6
hurri-fan
Advanced Geoffan

So, there's a Batman '66 comic. Now there's a Wonder Woman '77 comic. Will there be a Superboy '88 comic next?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-M...7413068?ref=hl

Check out some of the comedy stuff I do, why dont'cha?
Old October 13th, 2014   Mackaybear is offline   #7
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Or a Superman 53 book? Or Flash 90?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old October 14th, 2014   BART ALLEN is offline   #8
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Am I the only person who thinks the ww2 season was miles better and somehow seems less dated then the 1970 s seasons

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old October 14th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #9
Amentep

Am I the only person who thinks the ww2 season was miles better and somehow seems less dated then the 1970 s seasons
ddf
BART ALLEN View Post
It depends; I liked a lot of the WW2 season. I liked most of the second season set in the 70s.

The third season was really rough. One thing I thought was weird was that as the seasons progressed the writers seemed to forget more and more that Wonder Woman was a competent field agent and superhero and relied more on male proxies to get involved in the action (something the third season had in abundance).

Old October 14th, 2014   Mackaybear is offline   #10
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

The WW II season was good. But not perfect. Her costume seemed cheaply and flimsily made. Pulling the belt off to depower her was done all too often and became cliche quickly. Otherwise it was inventive and it is less dated than the 70's seasons.

MeTV added it to tkeir 'Sci Fi Saturday night' last year and I've enjoyed seeing it again.This year they added 'The Adventures of Superman'. Its been fun, and starts the night out with an hour each of Superman,Batman, and Wonder Woman all in a row. (Followed by Star Trek:TOS, Svengoolie,Lost in Space, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea)

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old October 14th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #11
Amentep

Yeah, that's a great MeTV bloc.

Old October 15th, 2014   Call Me El is offline   #12
Call Me El
Geoffan

I only hope they don't make the mistake they made on the TV show of making Diana too powerful. She moved beyond being Steve's assistant to being an agent in her own right which is all well and good but sometimes I wondered why she needed to be Wonder Woman at all.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old October 15th, 2014   Penny Dreadful is offline   #13
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

This new series looks like it'll be a blast. Man, I loved the original show. And Nicola Scott doing the art? I'm in.

Is it me or are DC's digital-first books better received than the new 52 print stuff?

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old October 17th, 2014   Amentep is offline   #14
Amentep

I only hope they don't make the mistake they made on the TV show of making Diana too powerful. She moved beyond being Steve's assistant to being an agent in her own right which is all well and good but sometimes I wondered why she needed to be Wonder Woman at all.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
I dunno, I think that's part of the charm of the 2nd and 3rd season (when the episodes themselves aren't terrible) is that Wonder Woman and Diana Prince are capable, just WW moreso.

Penny - I think Nicola is only doing covers. I'm not sure if we've heard about interior artists.

Old June 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #15
Amentep

Well I read the special. Its a grab bag - possibly slightly moreso than Batman '66 which has such an identifiable identity. The art is generally good, some places are better than others.

They do something the show didn't really which is introduce parts of WW's rogues gallery. This leads to a sort-of nod to the Cathy Lee Crosby TV movie. It also assumes knowledge of the second season (as they don't ever explain I.R.A. which might be confusing with those unattributed word balloons).

Its not the homerun Parker's opening issue of '66 was, but strong enough for me to try some more issues.

Old November 13th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #16
Amentep

Read issue #2. It was kinda bad. The characters didn't sound like the 77 show (even as much as that show had its identity problems Linda Carter's WW had a certain voice).

The book can't decide if its trying to be 70s Kitsch or if it's a modern era WW book (Cheetah in the first story sounds modern comic, not 70s).

Think I'll pass on future issues (if there are any, I know DC seems to have ended a lot of this online-to-print initiative).