The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old March 8th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #1
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Default So did anyone pick up Ann Nocentis first issue of Green Arrow?

I didn't but was wondering what anyone thought of it who did? I didn't see any reviews here. Assumed everyone jumped ship like me.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old March 8th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #2
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I'm a ship jumper too after issue #1...but would be curious as well.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old March 8th, 2012   Alan is offline   #3
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I'm certainly planning to tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think. It's been pretty dismal so far, but I have fond memories of Nocenti's Daredevil run so I'll certainly give it a chance.

I'm not fond of the new look and makeover, but the more I think about it, I've dropped the GA book in various incarnations over the years, having started well and dropped off badly. He's got so much history, what with his side kicks, girl friends, progeny, death, return etc that he becomes almost impossible to write for. I've followed the new Ollie since he got his beard back in B & B #85 and I miss the cantankerous old git, but to be honest I gave up on his last book about five issues in, so you can't blame DC for starting again.

Old March 8th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #4
mego joe
Geoffan

I never jumped on. I left the last series after BC left.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 8th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #5
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

I never jumped on. I left the last series after BC left.
ddf
mego joe View Post
I did too. Couldn't believe they went to all the trouble of finally getting those two married and immediately couldn't think of any direction for them as a married couple and then broke up the marriage. That was just lame.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old March 8th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I did too. Couldn't believe they went to all the trouble of finally getting those two married and immediately couldn't think of any direction for them as a married couple and then broke up the marriage. That was just lame.
ddf
I was against the marriage from the beginning and it ended up being a total waste of time.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 8th, 2012   Matches is offline   #7
Matches
stepping aside

Imma get it when the price drops. I have not read any of the prior issues but am interested to see what Nocenti and Talibao do with it.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old March 8th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #8
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Didn't even try it (the only version I've personally liked was Grell's high adventure/"Vertigo" before there was a Vertigo Comics Ollie Queen with Meltzer and Diggle's versions tied for a close second)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old March 9th, 2012   Alan is offline   #9
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Big improvement. By no means perfect, but a lot bloody better than the previous 6 (I just wrote a much longer piece but wiped it by mistake, so this will have to do till I can be bothered to write it again!).

Old March 10th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #10
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Big improvement. By no means perfect, but a lot bloody better than the previous 6 (I just wrote a much longer piece but wiped it by mistake, so this will have to do till I can be bothered to write it again!).
ddf
Alan View Post
Interesting. Thanks for saying so. I'm eager to hear more peoples thoughts.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old March 10th, 2012   ronaldj is offline   #11
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

i read it last night...almost a typical GA story...

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old March 12th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #12
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I skimmed it at the shop. Read the first 3 or 4 pages. It seemed much better than it has been but not good enough for me to plug down the $3. Oh well, G'bye Ollie!

Old March 17th, 2012   Frankenstein is offline   #13
Frankenstein
Keyboard Warrior

Soooooo much better than the first six issues! I can't say that this is the Ollie we all know and love all of a sudden, but I am excited for the first time to see what direction this Ollie goes in. I have faith in Ann Nocenti.

The best comics-related reviews on YouTube!

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/KapowComicBookShow
Old April 5th, 2012   Matches is offline   #14
Matches
stepping aside

It was... not what I expected. Nocenti's work is usually a little off-kilter, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I felt strangely disconnected from the story though. Some of the scripting techniques came off as dated (GA talking out loud to himself), and I dunno, something was just off.

I liked the art though I think there were a few spots where it was unclear. There's a germ of something interesting here, I think. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait for it to develop. I'll probably get #8 but I'm not sure this gets much more rope than that.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 5th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #15
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

It was... not what I expected. Nocenti's work is usually a little off-kilter, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I felt strangely disconnected from the story though. Some of the scripting techniques came off as dated (GA talking out loud to himself), and I dunno, something was just off.

I liked the art though I think there were a few spots where it was unclear. There's a germ of something interesting here, I think. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait for it to develop. I'll probably get #8 but I'm not sure this gets much more rope than that.
ddf
Matches View Post
Yeah I am not jumping back on. I haven't enjoyed Green Arrow since Winicks last issue of GA/BC. I have bought and read every issue since because I WANT to like it...but that's it for me.

I'm sure the book will get good one day. I'll hop back on then.

Old April 22nd, 2012   komikboy is offline   #16
komikboy

GA is one of my favourite DC superhero. I like the idea of revamping the old character with new design... and with these new DC 52 we might given a chance to see a new direction for GA.

personally i like some new direction for this "new" GA, which are:
1. GA need someone else to help when he operating on the field. If batman have alfred to guide and helping him, so should GA. And now we have naomi here... doing what alfred and oracle job.
2. GA should have someone else to help him design his weapon as did batman (not every batman's gadget is made by batman alone, right?)... we have jax here to do the job.
3. Queen Industries is global leader in transportation, energy, and infrastructure. I like the expansion of queen industries, but should queen industries also a weapon industries??
4. conflict in personal life and jobs or responsible...in short i like how they write some of oliver's character/life...

these 4 points are i like from this new GA... but... there is something missing from story. if i may suggest... what missing is purpose and social perspective. i meant, what made me like GA is how they write about his perspective and action mirroring the "real" situation of the "world" (at least in US). Its like GA is our voice in the real situation in the comics. JT krull might already tried that in no. 1. yep! in page 2. in monologue about how he sees villains live freely and how we endorse them (?!).

and there is something else what i think missing... this a new GA, different with batman or GA which already settled... GA should need a new fresh beginning... even WW need a new beginning. GA doesn't provide this background. we only know ollie is a millioner, he have another "secret" life as somekind of superhero, and in action he has 2 personel helping him... that's all.

why he do what he do only stated by dialogue... which i think rather flat.

if i may suggest... expand GA personel, as batman has his "family" or even robin hood has his merry men.
and... give him strong background. inflict him with corporate intrigue or even political intrigue.
last... dont made him dependent with his bow. His name maybe Green Arrow ... but i think its better if ollie good with other skills.