The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 23rd, 2010   Elias is offline   #17
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

MTV EXCLUSIVE: The 'All-Star Superman' Trailer - Get Your First Look Here!

Old September 23rd, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #18
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

James Denton sounds pretty great. I don't know about Anthony though, it sounds a little gruff. It's a shame that Chris Noth didn't do this one, I think he would've been perfect and happy to play the villain.

And that animation, it looks great, I wonder how much they'll keep in.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old September 23rd, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #19
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Wow, I feel like so much is lost in translation. And the voice acting is not so great.

Bah...I'm losing excitement over this...

Where is everybody?
Old September 23rd, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #20
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

And that animation, it looks great, I wonder how much they'll keep in.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
You really think so? I wish it was more like Quitely's art. Part of the feel from the book came straight from the art.

Where is everybody?
Old September 23rd, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #21
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Wow, I feel like so much is lost in translation. And the voice acting is not so great.

Bah...I'm losing excitement over this...
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
What about Supes voice doesn't work for you?

You really think so? I wish it was more like Quitely's art. Part of the feel from the book came straight from the art.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Yeah, but like you I also wished it more like Quietly's art. But for what it is, I think it's great, it looked exciting.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old September 23rd, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #22
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

What about Supes voice doesn't work for you?
ddf
Eric Q View Post
I agree with you on Supes. I can mind that, but Lex's was off, for sure.

Yeah, but like you I also wished it more like Quietly's art. But for what it is, I think it's great, it looked exciting.
ddf
This art just makes it seem like standard fare, as far as DCAU projects go. And A-S Superman should be far from standard fare. It's little to go by, but I admit I'm a little disappointed.

Where is everybody?
Old September 23rd, 2010   Flash_Fact is offline   #23
Flash_Fact
Neo Geoffan

Ugh.

Why call it All Star Superman to begin with if the art deviates so much from the original design? Seems like DC Animation's business model is rush to release with little to no concern about artistic value or merit, especially in adapting such a popular and commercially viable product such as All Star Superman.

Nothing against McDuffie, but couldnt' DC hire Morrison & Quitely to do the script and storyboarding or animation designs? The power of All Star Superman was in the atmosphere Quitely & Jamie Grant created that seems from the trailer to be completely neglected and ignored.

Too bad.

Wally West~"I'm getting lectured on child safety from a man who's gone through four Robins?"
Old September 23rd, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #24
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

This art just makes it seem like standard fare, as far as DCAU projects go. And A-S Superman should be far from standard fare. It's little to go by, but I admit I'm a little disappointed.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Definitely agree, I mean they used different Anime styles for Batman, they could at least do the same thing for Superman.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old September 23rd, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #25
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Definitely agree, I mean they used different Anime styles for Batman, they could at least do the same thing for Superman.
ddf
Eric Q View Post
Going even further than that, the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse movie looks like Turner's pencils. And didn't they have one that looked like McGuiness'?

Where is everybody?
Old September 23rd, 2010   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #26
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I think it looks really good. And the art reminds me a little of Franks work. It was never going to be perfect. I really dig it. if this movie is half as good as the comic it will be fantastic. I wonder what DC project is next. Hopefully a property other than Supes or Bats. Flash, Justice League International, JSA...give us some of that.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old September 23rd, 2010   handler313 is offline   #27
handler313
Geoffan

Guys Frank cant even get comics out on time, how long would it take him to help out with a movie.

Old September 24th, 2010   Jake1823 is offline   #28
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Guys Frank cant even get comics out on time, how long would it take him to help out with a movie.
ddf
handler313 View Post
Let it take a while, then. Was there anyone clamoring for this to come out tomorrow? Or even this year?

Where is everybody?
Old September 24th, 2010   Eric Q is offline   #29
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Nothing against McDuffie, but couldnt' DC hire Morrison & Quitely to do the script and storyboarding or animation designs? The power of All Star Superman was in the atmosphere Quitely & Jamie Grant created that seems from the trailer to be completely neglected and ignored.

Too bad.
ddf
Flash_Fact View Post
It's a shame they couldn't or didn't get the creative team to collaborate with them on the adaption.

ddf
handler313 View Post
The wait would've been worth it if his input made it even better.

Let it take a while, then. Was there anyone clamoring for this to come out tomorrow? Or even this year?
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Ditto. But I think the problem with a slower production is that costs would quickly accumulate for the filmmakers.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Old September 24th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #30
jafabian
Iím not dead.

ddf
handler313 View Post

If waiting for Gary Frank is the problem for a Superman movie coming out it would have hit the screens a long time ago. And it would have been a damn good one.

Old September 25th, 2010   handler313 is offline   #31
handler313
Geoffan

ddf
Jake1823 View Post
I am guessing DC was...

And FWIW I like Frank's work some of the time (ASS was great) but I think it would look horrible as a cartoon and the only people who would have bought it would be fans of his work. DC wants these to sell to the masses, not to 500 Grant Morrison/Quietly fans...ya know?

Old September 25th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #32
jafabian
Iím not dead.

And FWIW I like Frank's work some of the time (ASS was great) but I think it would look horrible as a cartoon
ddf
handler313 View Post

FYI, this would have been a better statement to have posted than your previous one. Your previous one comes across as a shot at Gary Frank and he has a fair amount of fans here. To say nothing of the fact that ComicBloc is the message board for the last writer he worked with. (Who happens to be DC's Chief Creative Officer) Granted, you put a winking smiley after your statement but sometimes that that isn't enough, at least around here.

Opinions are always welcome in our community here but anything beyond that not so much.