The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Television, Movies and Animation

Television, Movies and Animation aka The Talkies!

Old August 13th, 2009   Augustine is offline   #1
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Default Godzilla is coming back. You knew he would.

Atomic fire breath baby!

55 years and 28 movies later, the Japanese monster Godzilla is looking to make his return to big screens everywhere. Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Legendary Pictures is looking to do another major movie with the iconic horror monster (they are in early discussions), although there are NO details at this point other than this should be a reboot. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick. In recent interviews for 2012 Emmerich has said that he's not interested in sequels (even though all of his disaster movies are basically the same). More details as they come in.
ddf
A GOOD Godzilla movie without the cheese would be nice.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 13th, 2009   Ben Ronning is offline   #2
Ben Ronning
Neo Geoffan

Maybe Legendary Pictures will do what Toho has done since 1984, make it a continuation of the original film and take it from there.

"It may take Darkseid three billion voices to command my surrender, but I only need one to say: 'No!'"
Old August 13th, 2009   darthlucifuge is offline   #3
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Kaiju or bust.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 13th, 2009   Jim Beard is offline   #4
Jim Beard
Batman '66 Lives!

GI JOE reminded me in many ways of a Toho film. I'd love to see the real Godzilla - guy in a suit - but with CGI effects such as more realistic buildings to crush, aircraft, etc.

Jim

Old August 13th, 2009   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #5
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

Kaiju or bust.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Agreed!

I hope they do this one right.

Old August 13th, 2009   darthlucifuge is offline   #6
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

GI JOE reminded me in many ways of a Toho film. I'd love to see the real Godzilla - guy in a suit - but with CGI effects such as more realistic buildings to crush, aircraft, etc.

Jim
ddf
Jim Beard View Post

Jim have you seen Final Wars?
It's pretty much that and even GINO (american zilla) makes an appearence. Godzilla kills him in less than 10 seconds though!

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 13th, 2009   heffison is offline   #7
heffison
Lapsed Reader

Atomic fire breath baby!

55 years and 28 movies later, the Japanese monster Godzilla is looking to make his return to big screens everywhere. Making his first appearance in 1954 (Gojira) Godzilla is a giant monster that lives in the sea that comes from the ocean to feed on mankind. Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Legendary Pictures is looking to do another major movie with the iconic horror monster (they are in early discussions), although there are NO details at this point other than this should be a reboot. In 1998, TriStar Pictures produced a remake set in New York City, directed by Roland Emmerich and starring Matthew Broderick. In recent interviews for 2012 Emmerich has said that he's not interested in sequels (even though all of his disaster movies are basically the same). More details as they come in.

A GOOD Godzilla movie without the cheese would be nice.
ddf
Augustine View Post

A big-budget, big-effects American-made movie that actually has Godzilla in it would be nice. No large iguana with moist breath who hides in subways and can't choke down a freakin' taxi full of people who killed its raptor-babies...but a radioactive dinosaur cross-breed breathing firey death and destruction, smashing buildings with every step. Our national honor is at stake, and we must redeem ourselves.

And I'm not interested in Roland Emmerich, either.

Old August 13th, 2009   Justin is offline   #8
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

I'm not opposed to a CGI Godzilla (although I have a fondness for kaiju), just as long as it feels like Godzilla. That means nuclear allegories, city crushing, and monster fights.

I say that introduce Godzilla as a villain and then make him an anti-hero in the second and third movies. Maybe a Mothra spin-off...or not.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old August 13th, 2009   Justin is offline   #9
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

A more important question, though, is who will direct? And who SHOULD direct? Preferably no video-game movie alumni.

"The truth, however shocking or uncomfortable, in the end leads to liberation and dignity." - Ricky Gervais
Old August 13th, 2009   TJLamb0518 is offline   #10
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Sigh....love Godzille, but when will we get a War of the Gargantuas remake/sequel????

C'mon, you can just picture Affleck and Damon reuniting to play the parts....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old August 13th, 2009   darthlucifuge is offline   #11
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

A more important question, though, is who will direct? And who SHOULD direct? Preferably no video-game movie alumni.
ddf
Justin View Post
J.J Abrams?

Old August 13th, 2009   Wally West888 is offline   #12
Wally West888
Green Lantern's Light

J.J Abrams?
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I'd see it if he did it.

A Green Lantern Overcomes Fear Everytime They Face It!-Hal Jordan-Green Lantern

Don't Call Me Superman...Call Me Superboy!-Conner Kent-Superboy
Old August 13th, 2009   Wg2100s is offline   #13
Wg2100s
Neo Geoffan

Sigh....love Godzille, but when will we get a War of the Gargantuas remake/sequel????

C'mon, you can just picture Affleck and Damon reuniting to play the parts....
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
The words get stuck in my throat.

Old August 13th, 2009   Augustine is offline   #14
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Myself I want a real cool CGI Godzilla done in a very smart American style, yes he's a dinosaur, yes he's got fire breath, yes he's freaking huge, yes he's knocking over buildings and stomping tanks and yes he can take more than two or four missile hits from a freaking plane!

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old August 14th, 2009   Justin is offline   #15
Justin
Supreme Geoffan

Myself I want a real cool CGI Godzilla done in a very smart American style, yes he's a dinosaur, yes he's got fire breath, yes he's freaking huge, yes he's knocking over buildings and stomping tanks and yes he can take more than two or four missile hits from a freaking plane!
ddf
Augustine View Post
Well said. It's not necessarily a choice between the Emmerich Godzilla or a guy in a suit. One could have a CGI Godzilla that still feels like Godzilla.

Old August 14th, 2009   JordanGLC is offline   #16
JordanGLC

ddf
Augustine View Post
Sigh. Not well said.