The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old February 6th, 2010   Infernorhythm is offline   #193
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

I hate Smallville, I can't stand it usually, but that was awesome! I honestly thought Hawkman looked cool, and Michael Shanks was great in it. Everything was excellent, the flashbacks too! Abigail!

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old February 6th, 2010   darthlucifuge is offline   #194
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Wow...uh to me Smallville has always been a big joke and rather terrible.

This episode. Was Brilliant!

Curse you Geoff!!!

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old February 6th, 2010   Evan Meadow is offline   #195
Evan Meadow
Geoffan

I haven't really been following Smallville all that much the last couple of seasons, but has Radu's been shown before?
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
Not to my knowledge. I saw that and just went "Kyle!"

Old February 6th, 2010   jafabian is offline   #196
jafabian
I’m not dead.

I agree Hawkman was well done, as well as the rest of the JSA that were used. Checkmate's appearence was a pleasant surprise and Waller's comment on the "coming apolcalypse" sure sounds like Darkseid might be showing up. Usually an episode of this quality is reserved for the season opener or finale.

After seeing this though, I want to see Geoff write a Suicide Squad or Checkmate series. Or a Stargirl TV series! I loved seeing Courtney come to life and I bet so did Geoff.

Old February 6th, 2010   Guru is offline   #197
Guru

I agree about the "coming apocalypse" could be an easter egg foreshadowing Darkseid coming.

I couldnt didnt like the cape scene as it was a redux of a season 3 episode.

One of my fav episodes of season 3...hereafter i believe

You live your life knowing you will die.

Doesn't that just rain on your parade.
Old February 6th, 2010   Neil Blumengarten is offline   #198
Neil Blumengarten
Beware My Power!

Location: Department of Heuristics And Research on Material Applications

Count me as someone who doesn't normally care for Smallville, but who loved this episode! As someone said, Legion suffered from referencing too many ongoing plot lines, so that as a non-viewer, I enjoyed it, but didn't care enough to want to watch it again, whereas this episode was pretty self-contained and dropped enough hints about future episodes that I might really consider watching the show more often.

As for Waller's comment, Geoff tweeted the following:
With a capital "A" RT @ayhawkStaples congrats on another great 'ville ep...please tell me Wallers apocalipse was written as apokolips
ddf
GeoffJohns0

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. -Conan
Old February 6th, 2010   clarkent1982 is offline   #199
clarkent1982*
Citizen

My only complaint are the overload of commercial breaks these 2 episodes are taking...
ddf
yodazone View Post

Yeah, those commercials were real ball busters. I felt it was more commercials than show and the same damn ones.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old February 6th, 2010   Madison Lee is offline   #200
Madison Lee
Rebooted and ready!

YES, there were alot of commercials and fans of the show should be happy about that. This means the show is bringing in lots of ad $$, which is what keeps the show on the air and was needed to balance the larger budget of the episode.

"On Earth I'm Lee,.....Linda Lee."
http://krypto-blog.blogspot.com
Old February 6th, 2010   yodazone is offline   #201
yodazone

Geoff's on "Geek Time" now talking about the episode...

Geek Time's on Sirius sattelite radio on channel #Howard 101....

You can stream it online now...

http://www.sirius.com/

Old February 6th, 2010   earth2ed is offline   #202
earth2ed
Neo Geoffan

All I can say is WOW. I hope they can get the rest of the team in an episode someday. I would love to see Alan and Jay some more.

Old February 6th, 2010   hurri-fan is offline   #203
hurri-fan
Advanced Geoffan

As someone who hates all things Superman-related, (arguably my least fav character) gotta say, last night's ep was awesome! Had a great time just watching it and geeking out. I even had fun answering my sons questions. "Whose the wing guy, daddy?" "What are those things in that glass, dad?" (referring to all the JSA props in Carter's museum, like Hourmans hour glass, and the Flash's helmet) "Whose that girl with the stick, daddy? She's purtiful like mommy."
Which, I gotta admit, Stargirl was good looking, like my wife. Easily some of the best fun I've had watching tv in a long while.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-M...7413068?ref=hl

Check out some of the comedy stuff I do, why dont'cha?
Old February 6th, 2010   Green Guardsman is offline   #204
Green Guardsman
Master Geoffan

Yeah, those commercials were real ball busters. I felt it was more commercials than show and the same damn ones.
ddf
clarkent1982 View Post
The commercials didn't annoy any where near as much as the large CW logo (with ads on top) did.

Old February 6th, 2010   Greg Waite is offline   #205
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

I was planning on NOT watching it because I have Law & Order at 8 and then Kitchen Nightmares at 9.

Law & Order was a repeat, so I said: "Why not Smallville?"

So I changed it to the CW and boy, oh boy!!

I'm so glad that I caught the whole episode.

Hawkman made the show last night!!! (God I want a JSA series now!)

I loved seeing Ted, Alan, Jay, Kent (who I felt was great), Al, Wesley and everyone else.

I just wish that Ted had his uniform on for one scene at least. (Not counting the picture here) I totally geeked for Grant's Gym.

Courtney was okay. (She could have been a little more perkier like she was during Geoff's run on JSA. The beginning of Geoff's run I mean)

That was my first episode this season. (I gave up hope after last season)

Was it enough to get me back into Smallville? Not really.

But I will say this:

That was pure geekgasm!!!

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old February 6th, 2010   collegeboy is offline   #206
collegeboy
Nod over coffee

I gotta say - this being the first episode of Smallville I've ever seen, it was absolutely amazing.

If the producers were looking for an episode someone could watch "cold" (with no knowledge of prior show-related or comics continuity) and enjoy it, they succeeded (according to my wife). If the producers were looking for an episode someone with only comics-related knowledge could watch and enjoy, they succeeded.

Kudos to Geoff for the throw-away lines of dialogue that were utterly golden (J'onn's comment about liking cookies; "coming apocalypse/Apokolips") and the subtle winks to fans - such as, while I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I noticed SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
the package that was sent to Lois had a black-and-white checkered border running around it. It was more than likely a nod to Checkmate, but my mind immediately went to the top borders on old DC books...particularly in light of the comments about a "Silver Age" that Dr. Fate made

I don't plan on Netflixing the previous eight years worth of episodes, but I might be tempted to tune in again.

"I've got scars deeper than your mind." -- Steve Taylor

Come visit Looking Through the Windshield. It's cheaper than therapy.
Old February 6th, 2010   Lucifer complex is offline   #207
Lucifer complex
expressway to Hell

loved when Clark went into the JSA headquarters and you see the trophy case and all the items in them. I really geeked out when you see the JSA table and the portrait of the JSA. I liked all the JSA members and they stayed pretty close to what happen in the books.(even a nod to the America vs. the JSA book.) Tom is to old and to wooden to play superman. but otherwise very good.

Old February 6th, 2010   5andman is offline   #208
5andman
Master Geoffan

Apokolips? Darkseid? Bring on season 10!!!

Too bad no "Bruce"