The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #209
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

Two artists this weekend asked me if I had a comicart account. Can anyone tell me what that's about?

"What kind of Superhero needs to wet himself every hour?" -- TTYO #2

Crazy Titans Fan!

"You have two choices...."

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #210
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Two artists this weekend asked me if I had a comicart account. Can anyone tell me what that's about?
ddf
TitansFan View Post
Well it's just a website where people can upload scans or their art/art they gotten from conventions and stuff. I assume the artists like to check the art they've made to see what others might leave as feedback.

For example here's my comicartfans page.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=35573

Old June 22nd, 2009   kory_anders is offline   #211
kory_anders
X'hal!

Indeed. It's an awesome collection.

kory do you post your collection on comicartfans or anything?
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
I do, actually!

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=38204

Try that link, it should work, but if not let me know.

Old June 22nd, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #212
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I do, actually!

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=38204

Try that link, it should work, but if not let me know.
ddf
kory_anders View Post
Awesome-tastic. You even have two Perezes! Awesome!

Old June 22nd, 2009   kory_anders is offline   #213
kory_anders
X'hal!

Awesome-tastic. You even have two Perezes! Awesome!
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
Yea I got that one two years ago at DragonCon in Atlanta It's one of my favorites!

Old June 22nd, 2009   Sentinel119 is offline   #214
Sentinel119
Supreme Geoffan

great sketches, makes me wish that I was able to go. Maybe I can make it next year.

"Bible, Wrath of Kahn. What's the difference?"
Cyclops was Right
Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #215
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

Ok, I cant wait any longer. Work be damned!

So here are the sketches I got this weekend. There are a lot this time around, so buckle up! Normally I post so that my favorites are saved until the end, but I got so many amazing pieces this time around that organizing them by 'like' is just impossible. So I'll post them in the order I got them.

The first one has a little story behind it. I actually asked for this sketch from Sean Chen last week at the mini-Big Apple Con. I wanted two characters (Captain Marvel Jr and Osiris), so he asked if he could take my sketchbook with him and have it for me at Heroes this weekend. I agreed. I added a twist, though (actually I cant take the credit BlackTornado came up with this idea and I thought it was brilliant!!!!) I asked Sean after he drew the two characters to just add a small alligator somewhere in the sketch. He was completely confused so I explained how Osiris basically ends up eaten by an alligator. I told him to just make it small, like an Izod logo on one of their uniforms or a baby alligator just in the background. He loved it and said he'd have fun with it. What he did blew me away. My God is this funny and brilliant.

I should also add that Liz and I found that many artists who promise to work on your sketch at home....dont. We certainly dont blame them -- at cons they work all day long and they are around friends they havent seen in quite some time that in the evenings they want to unwind and socialize. It's a bit unfair to expect them to have to work at night. But we did find humor in the fact that almost without exception, every artist that promised Liz and I our sketches first thing the next morning, never came through. I say "ALMOST" because Sean Chen was an exception. I had the sketchbook with this sketch back in my hand BEFORE the con opened on the first day. He's awesome.

Oh, and -- LOVE IT!!!

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #216
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

My first sketch of the con was from Andy Smith. He had done a Donna Troy Wonder Woman sketch for me before and I love his work. This time around I asked for a Green Lantern and Killowat sketch. Love the result!

I had also gotten a sketch from Bob McLeod before (Power Boy). I like his style very much and thought he'd be perfect for the first Hawk and Dove. I think he nailed it:

I sought out Jeremy Dale because I'd seen a Savage Dragon sketch he had done before. I wanted to get a sketch of Chris King, but thought it'd be hard to show him using his power. Since the Dial "H" for Hero'ers can turn into random heroes, I thought what a great way to get a non-DCU character into my Titan sketchbook. So jeremy did a Chris King changing into a Savage Dragon

I got A LOT of new and indie artists this time around. There is some real talent out there, and they are very affordable. The first indie guy I went to is Pat Bollin. I went to him because I found his sketches of animals online. I thought who else could do a Changeling sketch? When I approached him, he was so very very gracious. He told me this was his first con ever and that I would be his first ever commission. He was so amazed that I had references of his own animal sketches. He said he was going to give me an amazing piece. And he delivered. He wanted to put Gar in Central park surrounded by animals. The result was amazing:

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   troialover04 is offline   #217
troialover04
Advanced Geoffan

wow!11 you guys killed it with these sketches!!!
thanks for sharing!! these are awesome!!

Liz you did good - how many Korys did you get?? :-)

titansfan that pic of freddy and osiris is wicked

Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #218
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

I found two more indie guys that day.

The first was Jason Sobol. I found his work to be amazing, and what a nice guy. I spent a lot of time just chatting with him on everything from comics and cons to movies and travel. He was great. I had him do a Miss Martian for me, which is awesome. There's a funny thing about this sketch, though. When I hand an artist a reference page of the character I'm looking for, I normally have 3 - 6 pics of that character on that page, so the artist can see different sides and angles of the uniform. Well, silly me, on the Miss Martian page I gave Jason, I had equal number of pics of Megan with the cuffed short gloves as well as her with the almost full arm gloves. I think Jason got confused because he drew her with both! Ha! As a shapeshifter and with non-human fashion sense, I totally believe that Megan would wear this though!!! It's a great sketch

Two seats down from Jason was an artist named Dave Wachter. I loved the stuff he had on display. I had him do a current Hawk and Dove for me.

I then went to Budd Root. If anyone knows his Cavewoman series, they know he does a very - ummmmm - ample? female figure. I thought he'd be a good choice for Starfire. Unfortunately, his list was completely filled (I pause to wonder why....) But he was very nice. We ended up chatting for a bit and he said he'd do a quick headshot for me if I wanted. He then asked if I wanted it rated "R" or PG-13. I went with the PG rating and this is what he gave me. Ha! You bad Starfire!

I then went to Gregg Schigiel. I have loved his work for a long time. He did a Red Devil for me that is completely in his style. I LOVE it. Gregg was one of the ones that would stop Liz and I throughout the con and just chat with us. He's awesome.

Last edited by TitansFan; June 22nd, 2009 at 04:14 PM.

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #219
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I think that Root picture pushes PG but boy is it a great sketch. Ah Titansfan. Everybody knows who to target for sketches. XD

Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #220
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

Thanks TL4!!

Phew. Everyone still with me? Not even half way through yet!

I have seen Uko Smith at a few cons, but never approached him before. I did this time. What a nice guy. And Uber-Talented. His rates are great and his work is awesome. I had him do an original Red Wing for me.

Next was Buddy Prince. He was another artist that Liz and I spoke with the entire con. He'd be wandering the aisles and see us and we'd have a 40 minute conversation. What a nice guy! You've already seen what he did for liz. For me he did the two Aquagirls. Unfortunately, his pencils ended up so light that my scanner had a hard time picking them up. So the off-color you see in this scan is from me trying to adjust the scanner setting to get you a better view of his work. I love it.

Next is Stuart Sayger. I met him last year this time at the Wizard World Phili Con. I've been waiting to get something from him and this was the weekend. You will not find a nicer, more accomodating guy. He's just great through and through. And then there's his work! He did an Omen for me. Wow.

And sticking with the Ms Clay theme. That day I also got my first (yes, you heard me correctly) George Perez sketch of the con. I had him do a Lilith sketch. And what can you say? It's George Perez, he cant do less than Awesome!

It didn't hurt that George loves redheads and I had my sketch buddy Liz with me the entire weekend, but I had more conversations with George than I ever have before. He's a great guy, and I loved being able to spend time with him.
Last edited by TitansFan; June 22nd, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #221
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

I think that Root picture pushes PG but boy is it a great sketch. Ah Titansfan. Everybody knows who to target for sketches. XD
ddf
PyroTwilight View Post
Can you imagine if I had asked for an "R" ... I'm fine with what I got!

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   PyroTwilight is offline   #222
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

Oh. My. God.

Redwing! <3 I love it.

Can you imagine if I had asked for an "R" ... I'm fine with what I got!
ddf
TitansFan View Post
Usually I'd wonder how an headshot could be rated R, but well...he'd make it happen. XD

Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #223
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

This next group is full of Comic Legends. What an honor to have them be part of my collection.

First up is Nick Cardy. I got a Fab-Five head shot sketch from him at the 08 NYCC. This time around I had him do a Bumblebee/Guardian sketch. He is so nice, but works very slowly - but you gotta give an 84 year old a break!!! He had his neice and sister with him at the con. His neice and I hit it off immediately and she was my in to "Uncle Nicky." We spoke for some time, and then throughout the con she'd yell for me and wave at me. It was a bit surreal when Liz and I had ventured over to the Westin hotel to find something to eat to have Nick Cardy's family yell my name across the lobby. Very cool. Here's the sketch:

The next man of greatness that I lucked into was Dick Giordano. I didn't even realize he was there so never got on his list. He was so nice that he took me first thing Sunday morning and did a sketch for me anyway. He's not too old to joke around and his assistants were really nice too. He did an original Bat-Girl for me:

Next was Georges Jeanty. What a great guy. So approachable. I asked him to do a Rose Wilson for me.

And then we get back to George Perez. I won the raffle a second time on Sunday, so this time I had him do an Evil Raven for me! (yay!)

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker
Old June 22nd, 2009   TitansFan is offline   #224
TitansFan
Titanic Horseman

Last group! Phew!

This group is full of indie/trading card artists and the last three squeezed me in at the literal last minute!

First up is very close to my favorite sketch of the con. I knew I wanted a Cat Staggs sketch because I've loved her work for a long time, but I expected a head and bust of the character, like Dick Giordano did. I asked for a Red Star from her, and what she did is so incredible to me that I keep going back and looking at it. I cannot express enough how much I love this piece:

Next was a crazy girl that fell in love with Liz and I, and I have to say we fell in love with her too. She works incredibly fast, but I have to say EVERYTHING I saw from her was fantastic! She did a Raven for me. Her name is Rhiannon Owens and she even took Liz's and my contact info to keep in touch. So funny.

The next two sketches are from fiances who are getting married at (I think he said) the San Diego Con this year. I found him (Ray Dillon) on Friday, and fell in love with his stuff. The problem was I never had a sketchbook handy to give him. Liz and I were amazed as we watched him draw someone's sketch and then take out a brush and ink well to do the inking. It was fascinating to watch! And boy was he good! He and his fiance (Renae De Liz) also color with marker. Their work is just fantastic. I was finally able to get them a sketchbook on the last day.

I was supposed to leave at 4 for the airport, but because I wanted these two sketches I delayed until 5:30 (I still made it in plenty of time - somehow). So when you think their work is awesome below, I want you to automatically boost that up to Unbelievably Impossibly Incredible for the mere fact that they were rushing like crazy for me:

I had Renae do a Wonder Girl for me:

and then Ray got the huge task. I had him do Minion in both his forms! WOW!

That was my take from this year's Heroes Con. I had hoped to get maybe 10 sketches. Would have felt lucky to get 12. I am over the moon with my 21. How'd that even happen????
Last edited by TitansFan; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:01 AM.

Crazy Titans Fan!

Proud New Yorker