The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 23rd, 2009   ADGood is offline   #385
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Say what?
ddf
kjo1188 View Post
The juxtaposition of the performances in a scripted drama with the performances given by professional wrestlers, with the sarcastic implication that the wrestlers' acting is more believable, is clearly a hyperbole intended to call attention (in a good-natured manner) to the frequently cheesy acting in the Smallville television series for the purpose of humor. Categorically, it's an instance of a larger group of idioms known as "jokes".

Old May 24th, 2009   kipster is offline   #386
kipster
Super Hero Support

I'm confused....how was this not the "real" Jimmy Olsen? I know they said his full name is "Henry James Olsen", but so what? Lots of people go by their middle names. Is there something I'm missing?

"We pursue that which retreats from us"
Old May 24th, 2009   SethKane is offline   #387
SethKane
Geoffan

I'm confused....how was this not the "real" Jimmy Olsen? I know they said his full name is "Henry James Olsen", but so what? Lots of people go by their middle names. Is there something I'm missing?
ddf
kipster View Post
Jimmy Olsen's, the real DCU Jimmy, name is James Bartholomew Olsen. Hence Henry James from Smallville was not the real Jimmy.

Old May 24th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #388
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

ddf
kipster View Post
At Henry's burial, we meet his younger brother - a freckle-faced, bowtie-wearing kid who happens to be approximately the right age to correspond to comic-book-Jimmy the way Clark corresponds to comic-book-Superman. Chloes give the kid his dead brother's camera, and conjectures that he might, one day, follow in his brother's footsteps - by which she presumably meant, "become a photographer for the Daily Planet," not, "do drugs and get brutally murdered." Because the latter would probably have been in bad taste. Y'know. Under the circumstances.

Anyway, the most obvious implication of the exchange is that the freckly kid with the bowtie and the camera is the one who eventually gets turned into a mutant turtle monster and throws down with Darkseid. Or so I figure. This is the notion we're running with, yes?

Old May 24th, 2009   J-Liv is offline   #389
J-Liv
Frappuccino Jedi

The juxtaposition of the performances in a scripted drama with the performances given by professional wrestlers, with the sarcastic implication that the wrestlers' acting is more believable, is clearly a hyperbole intended to call attention (in a good-natured manner) to the frequently cheesy acting in the Smallville television series for the purpose of humor. Categorically, it's an instance of a larger group of idioms known as "jokes".
ddf
ADGood View Post
Dude, the way you phrased this particular instance of snark made me spit coffee through my nose. Well played.

And yeah, the finale blew. Best season in a long while, hampered by the worst finale the show has EVER seen.

-J

Old May 25th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #390
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

I'm pissed that they built up the Jimmy Olsen character for three years on Smallville and then have him turn out to not be the real deal and just kill him off. I was almost as pissed after the ending of the season three finale "Covenant"; First they introduced a young girl named Kara. Great, I though, "this is either Supergirl or Power Girl" (I was hoping for the last one. And due to her wearing white clothes, much like Clark's been seen running around in blue and red clothes, the colors of his future costume, I figured that Kara in that episode was everyone's favorite Kara Zor-L). But then the ending came and she was revealed the be just some brainwashed human girl and vanished in a bright light (she's presumed dead). Bet I wasn't the only one who was pissed at that ending. What's next? They'll kill off Lois Lane and have it be revealed that it's actually her sister (Lucy) that is Lois Lane or that the love of Superman's life is an entirely diffrent Lois Lane?
ddf
jon-el87 View Post
Wonder if they'll next season will kill off Kara and then just have Matrix or Linda Danvers show up, leading to the reveal that Kara was never destined to become this Earth's Supergirl, instead it's Matrix or Linda. Or will they suddenly have another Kryptonian ship show up and another Kara emerges from it, revealing herself to be the true Kara (while, the one we saw in season seven is revealed to be another reality's Kara Zor-El or another brain washed human girl)

Old May 25th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #391
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Wonder if they'll next season will kill off Kara and then just have Matrix or Linda Danvers show up, leading to the reveal that Kara was never destined to become this Earth's Supergirl, instead it's Matrix or Linda. Or will they suddenly have another Kryptonian ship show up and another Kara emerges from it, revealing herself to be the true Kara (while, the one we saw in season seven is revealed to be another reality's Kara Zor-El or another brain washed human girl)
ddf
jon-el87 View Post
Naah - they'll reveal that Tom Welling's character is actually Sen-El, and the season will end with the real Kal-El showing up.

Old May 25th, 2009   Greg Waite is offline   #392
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

Hmmm, Smallville on Friday nights or Smackdown?
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
I would like to change that:

Smallville or Smackdown or Law and Order?

Let's see:

I know Smackdown is taped and I alway read the spoilers. (I still watch it because there is nothing on)

I love Law and Order.

I think Law and Order wins over Smallville.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old May 25th, 2009   Little Joe is offline   #393
Little Joe

Smallville has changed MANY things in the Superman mythos, so I don't think that the slight change in Jimmy Olsen's name necessarily means anything.

I liked the season finale, Jimmy's death was very unexpected and I thought it was handled well.

Old May 26th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #394
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Smallville has changed MANY things in the Superman mythos, so I don't think that the slight change in Jimmy Olsen's name necessarily means anything.

I liked the season finale, Jimmy's death was very unexpected and I thought it was handled well.
ddf
Little Joe View Post
Again, I don't think that it's Henry's name alone that causes people to draw the obvious conclusion, so much as the subtle, nuanced scene with the little brother that was lovingly crafted and gently sledgehammered into the viewers' brains.

Old May 30th, 2009   King Krypton is offline   #395
King Krypton
Neo Geoffan

Never heard the radio show. He was still jumping around in the Fleischer cartoons that I've seen, though.
ddf
ADGood View Post
He only leaps in "The Artic Giant," the third episode in the series. In the others, he's full-on flying. The reason? The animators requested that he be able to fly, and DC gave it the OK. "The Artic Giant" was the Fleischers' attempt to see if leaping would look good on film, and they were VERY unhappy with the end result and never did it again. Dan Riba talks about it on the DVD set.

I love hot chicks in spandex.

Check out my novel Wounds of the Heart at Amazon.com!
Old May 30th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #396
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

He only leaps in "The Artic Giant," the third episode in the series. In the others, he's full-on flying. The reason? The animators requested that he be able to fly, and DC gave it the OK. "The Artic Giant" was the Fleischers' attempt to see if leaping would look good on film, and they were VERY unhappy with the end result and never did it again. Dan Riba talks about it on the DVD set.
ddf
King Krypton View Post
Cool. So, we can probably point to that as when outright flying entered the mythos.

Old June 12th, 2009   Steve Chung is offline   #397
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

I think that the only way I'll tune into "Smallville" next season is if they have John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays guest starring as parents looking for their time-lost son, Bart. It would also be nice if Warner Bros. would put out a Twentieth Anniversary Edition Of The Flash TV Series on Blu-Ray with lots of extras and interviews, too!

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old June 12th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #398
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I think that the only way I'll tune into "Smallville" next season is if they have John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays guest starring as parents looking for their time-lost son, Bart.
ddf
Steve Chung View Post
So, what you're saying is, you're not tuning in to Smallville next season.

Old June 13th, 2009   Steve Chung is offline   #399
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

Well, the highlight of this past season must have been the Legion episode, and I was thinking what could they do next season/who haven't they had with a DC Comics series tie-in/and which secondary character could they spotlight in favor of Clark/Chloe/Lois?

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old June 18th, 2009   Greg Waite is offline   #400
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/17...en-is-metallo/

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers