The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 17th, 2009   trmnlvlctyyy is offline   #369
trmnlvlctyyy
Geoffan

I tune in every week hoping for "one of the good" Smallville's, lol.
ddf
SBTheKid View Post
This has been my approach to Smallville since Season 1. Thank God for tivo!!!

Old May 17th, 2009   Wg2100s is offline   #370
Wg2100s
Neo Geoffan

The best Smallville finales were in the first few seasons and the one i will always remember is season 4 finale when a second meteor shower threatens Smallville .There was a countdown timer like the show 24 it was crazy .
ddf
shamon2k7 View Post
Yeah that was a true finale.Now we get the same one every year,Clark vanishing to some faroff country or planet.I keep hoping for this show to get better.

Old May 20th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #371
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

Smallville as a whole could be considered a major disapointment. When I first heard about the show, I saw it as a great potential to flesh out Superman's history and possibly add something to it. But, it hasn't. I feel one of the show's first misstakes was to hire a model-turned actor, who refuses to wear the suit and aparently seems to think he's too good for the role. I had no direct problems with the meteor freaks early in the show, because let's face it, you can't (realistically) have hundreds of metahumans pass through Smallville and just have Clark fight ordinary villains (who have no powers) would get bored quickly. But, the meteor freak concept should have begun to vanish over the years (in season 7, they even created a cure), but it hasn't. Instead they've made several of DC's actual characters into meteor freaks.

Many adaptations of DC comics properties have added something to the actual comics;
(Please note; I might miss a few things)
- The first batman serial in the 40's invented the Batcave.

- Either the radio show or the Fletcher cartoons (I've heard conflicting stories, some say it came from the radio show, while others claim it came from the cartoons) resulted in Superman being given the ability to fly and not just leap.

- Kryptonite was invented for the Superman radio show.

- Jimmy Olsen and Perry White, were both created for the radio show and then added to the comics

- Batman: The Animated Series created Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya.

- Superman: The Animated Series created Mercy Graves and Livewire.

What have Smallville done? Created love triangles and other soap opera related subjects and turned the guy who's supposed to grow up to become the world's greatest hero, into a crybaby who whines about not being normal. Almost every time they bring in a new super hero, they try to make it into a love triangle around the new character and two of the older ones (interestingly, actual comic book relationship, such as Green Arrow and Black Canary are being avoided) and turns them into shallow imitations of DC's characters
A good introduction of a new character would be one that fallows the characters origin as much as possible (I'll admit, they can't use everything) adds something. Someone here suggested that Alan Scott should be on the show. Now a good version would try to fallow the original as much as possible, while also fleshing the character out a little (in the case of Alan, we don't know when he's born or anything about his parents); Have it be established that Alan was born in 1910, as the son of Martin (an homage to martin Nodell) and Moira Scott in Gotham City or Metropolis (whatever you want), he also had an uncle named Bill Scott (homage to Bill Finger). His father served in WWI (together with Alan's uncle, who died during the war) and died in 1936, Moira Scott died in 1940. This would make for a great start..

Old May 20th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #372
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

- Either the radio show or the Fletcher cartoons (I've heard conflicting stories, some say it came from the radio show, while others claim it came from the cartoons) resulted in Superman being given the ability to fly and not just leap.
ddf
jon-el87 View Post
Never heard the radio show. He was still jumping around in the Fleischer cartoons that I've seen, though.

Old May 20th, 2009   ADGood is offline   #373
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I'm pissed that they built up the Jimmy Olsen character for three years on Smallville and then have him turn out to not be the real deal and just kill him off. I was almost as pissed after the ending of the season three finale "Covenant"; First they introduced a young girl named Kara. Great, I though, "this is either Supergirl or Power Girl" (I was hoping for the last one. And due to her wearing white clothes, much like Clark's been seen running around in blue and red clothes, the colors of his future costume, I figured that Kara in that episode was everyone's favorite Kara Zor-L). But then the ending came and she was revealed the be just some brainwashed human girl and vanished in a bright light (she's presumed dead). Bet I wasn't the only one who was pissed at that ending. What's next? They'll kill off Lois Lane and have it be revealed that it's actually her sister (Lucy) that is Lois Lane or that the love of Superman's life is an entirely diffrent Lois Lane?
ddf
jon-el87 View Post
Don't forget the fake-out they pulled early on when they had Chloe start her reporting career under the pseudonym "Lois Lane".

Ah, yes. The, "Ha, ha, that was never really Jimmy Olsen at all," ploy. That old chestnut.

It's weird, but with all the silliness that goes on, the one that keeps getting me is, "Clark, Lois and Jimmy (or not-Jimmy, as the case may be) are all working at the Daily Planet, but Perry White is still nowhere to be seen." I mean, granted, now that his wife isn't on the show anymore, Michael McKean doesn't really have any incentive to come back. But, still. How many CEOs of a major multinational corporation can one really count on to show a random predilection for playing EIC of a city newspaper?

Old May 21st, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #374
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

I just rewatched "Action" (season 7) and I couldn't help but notice that the appartment of the episode's villain contains action figures of comics book character, who in Smallville wouldn't be fictional characters, but real people. I saw; Black Canary, Doctor Mid-Nite, Hawkman, Mr. Freeze, Parallax, Robin, Starman, Hourman.
Black Canary herself appeared only six episodes later in the show. (They don't think ahead much, do they?)

Old May 21st, 2009   Jeff Nowicki is offline   #375
Jeff Nowicki
Pineapple!

From Entertainment Weekly:

"Question: I've been watching Smallville since day one, but after last week's finale, I'm feeling like for every two steps forward the show takes one step back. Give me some hope for next season by giving me some big scoop."

"Ausiello: It's moving to Fridays at 8 p.m.!"

Old May 21st, 2009   jafabian is offline   #376
jafabian
I’m not dead.

Kiss of death. Friday's are usually difficult for programs to get consistently good ratings.

Old May 21st, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #377
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

Kiss of death. Friday's are usually difficult for programs to get consistently good ratings.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Well, I always knew they would run this show til it's death.. (Just not like this).

Old May 21st, 2009   masigl4179 is offline   #378
masigl4179

Season Finale spoilers:

WHY did they "ret-con" Smallville Jimmy as FakeJimmy (Henry James Olsen)? I was wondering why they diverged from comic Jimmy by having him marry Chloe, and I guess now we know. So, his little brother (with bowtie and freckles) is "real Jimmy Olsen"? Lame. Beyond lame, actually. Maybe next season, "Lois" will discover Clark's secret and she'll be revealed as the aunt of "Real Lois"...?
ddf
Bill Walko View Post
Yeah that pissed me off as well.

Old May 21st, 2009   yodazone is offline   #379
yodazone

ugh....what a way to send off thier only highest rated show.

Old May 21st, 2009   Greg Waite is offline   #380
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

Hmmm, Smallville on Friday nights or Smackdown?

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old May 21st, 2009   Morgan K. is offline   #381
Morgan K.
Neo Geoffan

Yeah definitely the kiss of death.

Tell me Jean, is this where old discos go to die?
Old May 21st, 2009   ADGood is offline   #382
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

Hmmm, Smallville on Friday nights or Smackdown?
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
Well, Smallville has more special effects...but, then again, Smackdown has better acting.

Old May 23rd, 2009   kjo1188 is offline   #383
kjo1188
Geoffan

The finale was horrible.
Worst way to end the Doomsday/Davis arc.

Smackdown has better acting
ddf
Say what?

Another year older...
Old May 23rd, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #384
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

Smallville as a whole could be considered a major disapointment. When I first heard about the show, I saw it as a great potential to flesh out Superman's history and possibly add something to it. But, it hasn't. I feel one of the show's first misstakes was to hire a model-turned actor, who refuses to wear the suit and aparently seems to think he's too good for the role. I had no direct problems with the meteor freaks early in the show, because let's face it, you can't (realistically) have hundreds of metahumans pass through Smallville and just have Clark fight ordinary villains (who have no powers) would get bored quickly. But, the meteor freak concept should have begun to vanish over the years (in season 7, they even created a cure), but it hasn't. Instead they've made several of DC's actual characters into meteor freaks.

Many adaptations of DC comics properties have added something to the actual comics;
(Please note; I might miss a few things)
- The first batman serial in the 40's invented the Batcave.

- Kryptonite was invented for the Superman radio show.

- Jimmy Olsen and Perry White, were both created for the radio show and then added to the comics

- Batman: The Animated Series created Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya.

- Superman: The Animated Series created Mercy Graves and Livewire.
ddf
jon-el87 View Post
Forgot;

- The George Reeves series created Inspector Henderson. Not to mention that a lot of the current editorial staff at DC spent their childhoods watching that series.