The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old May 15th, 2009   greenflameuk is offline   #353
greenflameuk
What Would Jack Bauer do?

It amazes me that they have 22 episodes to tell a story, and yet this finale felt so rushed and haphazardly thrown together.

-Cosmic Boy appears out of nowhere, how did he contact Clark, didn't he destroy his last ring?

-"Your not one of us anymore", cue Oliver's totally pointless slow motion walk away from Clark, Canary and Impulse

-Didn't Jimmy have a pretty serious drug habit like 2 episodes ago?.

-Since when does Clark healing himself come with a light show?, or was that just to impress Jimmy

-The big fight with Doomsday was.....well it was non existent that's what it was. Not only do we not see the fight but we don't even see how they get rid of him all we see is him and Clark crashing into the building.

-"You must be Jimmy's little Brother", So i guess Jimmy didn't take Chloe home to meet the family then if this is the first time they've met.

-"Clark Kent is Dead", cue Clark's totally pointless slow motion walk away from Chloe.

-And finally Zod, haven't we been here before, wasn't lex possessed by Zod a couple of seasons back?.

Oh well...they did such a piss poor job with Doomsday in the end, so it'll be fun to see what they do with Zod next season.

Listen To The iFanboy Pick Of The Week Podcast!!...It's Grrreat!!.
Old May 15th, 2009   SethKane is offline   #354
SethKane
Geoffan

OK. Here's the deal. Building sympathy for Bloome and having him then kill Jimmy is to shock the audience. Same with teasing Kandor then having it be Zod. Tess was played by Zod. And we have not seen the real Zod yet, so bring him on. Fake Jimmy, whatever, least his brother is the right age compared to Lois and Clark. They got to do a Legion ep next season with Lois, so that should rock. (And yes, we all miss the maid outfit). The Clark/Doomsday fight needed to be more, but I'm thinking that with Clark not really being able to tell Chloe how he got out that maybe something happened underground that's gonna play more into next season. Overall, as compared to the rest of the season and to past season finales, I thought it was pretty solid and I can't wait for season 9.

Old May 15th, 2009   trmnlvlctyyy is offline   #355
trmnlvlctyyy
Geoffan

It amazes me that they have 22 episodes to tell a story, and yet this finale felt so rushed and haphazardly thrown together.

-Cosmic Boy appears out of nowhere, how did he contact Clark, didn't he destroy his last ring?
ddf
greenflameuk View Post
Yeah... that all seemed a little off.

-"Your not one of us anymore", cue Oliver's totally pointless slow motion walk away from Clark, Canary and Impulse
ddf
greenflameuk View Post
That was hilarious...

-The big fight with Doomsday was.....well it was non existent that's what it was. Not only do we not see the fight but we don't even see how they get rid of him all we see is him and Clark crashing into the building.
ddf
greenflameuk View Post
Surely Production had to realize that the non-fight would piss people off.

-And finally Zod, haven't we been here before, wasn't lex possessed by Zod a couple of seasons back?.
ddf
greenflameuk View Post
Makes you wonder if a 9th season was the best choice. They had better be planning on a lot of guest appearances by other heroes.

Old May 15th, 2009   SethKane is offline   #356
SethKane
Geoffan

I'm always amazed at people who will spend time watching/reading and blogging about something they don't like. And it would seem that the general consenus is a big thumbs down for the Smallville season finale and maybe for Smallville in general. So I'm curious, of those who were dissappointed, how many are gonna watch next season?

Old May 15th, 2009   SethKane is offline   #357
SethKane
Geoffan

This just hit me. Why in the future was tomorrow the day Clark dies when he didn't. Cosmic Boy should know Superman still lived, unless Clark goes so far to giving up humanity that he becomes a non stop super blur and we all know that couldn't stick for more than half an episode. So why the records saying Clark died?

Old May 15th, 2009   trmnlvlctyyy is offline   #358
trmnlvlctyyy
Geoffan

I'm always amazed at people who will spend time watching/reading and blogging about something they don't like. And it would seem that the general consenus is a big thumbs down for the Smallville season finale and maybe for Smallville in general. So I'm curious, of those who were dissappointed, how many are gonna watch next season?
ddf
SethKane View Post
I was disappointed in the Season Finale largely because I enjoyed the majority of Season 8. The entire season built up to last night's finale? Really??? Of course there are many season finale's which are lackluster... but this IMO is one of the worst that I have seen. Smallville has always been hit or miss for me. There are some good episodes (Justice and Run come to mind) and there are some very poor ones (most revolving around Lana's tatoo.) I've always Tivoed it and deleted if the story was lackluster. I'll personally be tivoing it next year and watching episodes which have good guest appearances. I don't care for Zod as the nemesis again but I'll probably watch if/when he and Clark actually fight. The fight with Clark and Lex-Zod was cool enough.

Old May 15th, 2009   starks is offline   #359
starks
Geoffan

ddf
SethKane View Post
I'll watch. One poor episode doesn't make for an overall bad experience. If you read one poor comic, should you give up comics all together?

Old May 16th, 2009   E-MAC is offline   #360
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

ddf
I have a love/hate relationship with Smallville since day one. There are times when it is horrible and I wonder how anyone can butcher this concept so badly and there are other times when they do a great job with the stories.

Overall, i've stayed watching the past couple of seasons mostly because of Chloe's character, I find her to be the one character that continually makes the show watchable even during bad storylines. But after this season they finally broke me and while I've read some episode recaps and fan reactions i've turned the page on Smallville for good it is beyond saving now that has become obvious.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old May 16th, 2009   DrMylesOBoogie is offline   #361
DrMylesOBoogie
Neo Geoffan

wow, i cannot believe what they did to Jimmy. i was enjoying the first half of the season so much that I was convinced that all the elements in Smallville that i disliked must have come from Millar/Gough but the remaining writers and producers have proved that they are just as equally inept. they would be better suited working on Days of Our Lives. they've really killed my entusiasim for a new series with this seasons finale.

Old May 16th, 2009   joesmallville is offline   #362
joesmallville
Neo Geoffan

I blame the rushed finale on the fact that the show was renewed at the last minute therefore the writers had to scramble to come up with cliffhangers for next season. Thus the return of Zod, the "death" of Clark Kent etc.

I bet the house this was not the episode that was original written or planned.

Old May 16th, 2009   SethKane is offline   #363
SethKane
Geoffan

I blame the rushed finale on the fact that the show was renewed at the last minute therefore the writers had to scramble to come up with cliffhangers for next season. Thus the return of Zod, the "death" of Clark Kent etc.

I bet the house this was not the episode that was original written or planned.
ddf
joesmallville View Post
Oh totally. And this at one time supposing to have been the series finale season explains them bringing back Lana and wasting episodes just to wrap up her story lines. If CW gave them a season 9 right from the get go, things would have been better. But I'm still looking forward to season 9.

Old May 16th, 2009   achilles140 is offline   #364
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

What an incredible waste! For me, the only two likeable characters for most of the season were Lois and Ollie. Chloe, with her Davis thing late in the season, became a Lana-substitute, and Clark---geeze, where to start with that guy.

Are they ever going to have him grow a pair? Is he ever going to don the suit? Get the name Superman? Though I see how his Kryptonian turn might have him don some sort of costume, and Lois's trip to the future might involve letting her in on the Superman thing.

As for Zod, a lot depends on the actor they cast. GA proved that a good actor who largely understands the part can really work wonders. And a lot will depend on how they write Zod.

Personally, I hope they do more than just Zod. Superman has another, perhaps even worse enemy waiting in the wings that they haven't used, though they might have to CGI him. Still, the thought of Darkseid paying Clark a visit, or at least working things behind the scenes is interesting.

And they need to go crazy with the DC heroes next season. Try to break those stupid embargoes. This show needs some Hal Jordan or Alan Scott. And since they're never going to make a Wonder Woman movie anyway, why not have Diana show up? Or Bruce Wayne? Who cares if there's a movie series? I've never understood that as an excuse not to use Batman or any of the others.

Old May 17th, 2009   GldenageFlsh is offline   #365
GldenageFlsh

wow, i cannot believe what they did to Jimmy. i was enjoying the first half of the season so much that I was convinced that all the elements in Smallville that i disliked must have come from Millar/Gough but the remaining writers and producers have proved that they are just as equally inept. they would be better suited working on Days of Our Lives. they've really killed my entusiasim for a new series with this seasons finale.
ddf
DrMylesOBoogie View Post
I truly believe they will come back next season with the Legion bringing Lois back or Clark going to their future to find her. They will remind Clark of how his human influence by upbringing was a big reason for him becoming the hero they looked up to and whose example they followed. I think the Legion and their rings are the key to going back in time and then fixing the "mistakes" made in the finale.
They and Clark will probably go back to right before Davis was split by the black kryptonite and keep that from happening then he and Clark can have the same fight with the same result being Doomsday buried ...where he lays until Clark has assumed the Superman identity and they have their historic death match!
Because of Davis/Doomsday being defeated and buried before/instead of being "split" time and history will go back as it should, hence Clark saves Chloe, Lois never gets ahold of the ring, Jimmy isn't killed by Davis and Clark doesn't feel the need to give up his humanity.

Barry Allen made me the Flash...
Old May 17th, 2009   jon-el87 is offline   #366
jon-el87
Neo Geoffan

I'm pissed that they built up the Jimmy Olsen character for three years on Smallville and then have him turn out to not be the real deal and just kill him off. I was almost as pissed after the ending of the season three finale "Covenant"; First they introduced a young girl named Kara. Great, I though, "this is either Supergirl or Power Girl" (I was hoping for the last one. And due to her wearing white clothes, much like Clark's been seen running around in blue and red clothes, the colors of his future costume, I figured that Kara in that episode was everyone's favorite Kara Zor-L). But then the ending came and she was revealed the be just some brainwashed human girl and vanished in a bright light (she's presumed dead). Bet I wasn't the only one who was pissed at that ending. What's next? They'll kill off Lois Lane and have it be revealed that it's actually her sister (Lucy) that is Lois Lane or that the love of Superman's life is an entirely diffrent Lois Lane?

Old May 17th, 2009   SBTheKid is offline   #367
SBTheKid

Hmm, to put it simply: I'll probably keep checking out Smallville because I'm interested in anything Superman-related...even when it gets this bad.

Geoff's Legion episode brought me back to watching the series (after a few years of watching sporadically), and it showed how good the show can be. Then the Lana episodes came, and the season seemed to never really recover. The melodrama just feels so off...some horrible combination of over-the-top music selection underneath awkward dialogue and storytelling. But now, in the finale, even the action scenes are disappointing.

I tune in every week hoping for "one of the good" Smallville's, lol.

"In the end, we all are who we are...no matter how much we may appear to have changed." ~ Joss Whedon
Old May 17th, 2009   shamon2k7 is offline   #368
shamon2k7
Geoffan

The best Smallville finales were in the first few seasons and the one i will always remember is season 4 finale when a second meteor shower threatens Smallville .There was a countdown timer like the show 24 it was crazy .