The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old June 1st, 2005   Mike Wimmer is offline   #1
Mike Wimmer
persona non grata

Default Fringe DC titles

Well, Im back after a hiatus of a couple months from comics, but the Batman begins trailers have bit me with the bug again. Anyway, I still dont have much money, but I do want to get back into comics. DC is apparently doing some big crossover on some of their titles. I am not a fan of crossovers as they are often too expensive to keep up with so I am going to avoid books dealing heavily in the crisis stuff.

So in short, can anybody catch me up with what has happened in the following titles the past couple months. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Also if you can, mention how many of these titles are worth buying.

Aquaman, Hawkman,
Firestorm, Birds of Prey, Legends of the Dark Knight, Action Comics, Legion, Catwoman, Breach, Gotham Central, Blood of the Demon

Thanks and also mention any other DCU titles that are not hard to follow.

Old June 1st, 2005   Eric Moreno is offline   #2
Eric Moreno
Super Dope Copy Editor

Welcome back Mike ... buy JSA ... buy JSA ... buy JSA ...

Anyway, DC is in the midst of what will become INFINITE CRISIS ... starts in September, I believe and written by our very own Mr. Geoff Johns. The four minis that are currently running: Day of Vengeance (featuring the now host-less Spectre and a new Eclipso in their attempt to eradicate magic itself from the DCU), The OMAC Project (spilling directly out of the very well done Countdown to Infinite Crisis one shot in which a certain chap from the old funny JLI days has ruthlessly taken over Checkmate), the Rann/Thanagar War (spilling out of what went down in the Adam Strange mini) and Villains United (the brand, spankin' new versions of the Secret Society of Super-Villains and the Secret Six) all tie into the looming Crisis (as does the new Return of Donna Troy mini) somehow.

Almost every book in the DCU proper is feeling the effects of at least one of these minis in someway, shape or form.

Anyway, the new Legion of Super-Heroes has been simply great. Waid and Kitson have made this new title easy to follow and has as much to offer newbies as it does hardcore Legion fans. Some of the other posters could probably do more justice as to what is going on in the titles you mentioned (Birds is in the middle of a great arc and Hawkman ... woo boy ... good stuff there).

Welcome back again Mike ... it's a great time to be a DC fan.

Read my new column Inside the Comic Writers Studio, which features some of the best comic writers around and appears weekly here at ComicBloc.com!
Old June 1st, 2005   ConnorFan is offline   #3
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Okay out of that list I only read BOP so I can really only tell you whats going on there. Right now Dinah Lance aka Black Canary is on a mission with Ted Grant aka Wildcat. Huntress is reestablishing her mob connections after a fall out between her and Barbra Gordan. Huntress feels like Oracle manipulated her sending Helena on a vigilantie hunt with BC. ( I am totally not doing this great story justice btw so you should really pick up the BOP backissues you have missed). Also Oracle seems to be infected with some kind of organic computer virus thing, that has OMAC implications.

Other titles that are pretty easy to follow but IMO are great reads are Manhunter and Batgirl... Manhunter is the story of Kate Spencer a District Attorney who used the evidence rooms stockpile of weapons to become the new Manhunter after Copperhead was found not guilty on a metagene defense(basicly I am superhuman so I cant be held responsible). The writer taps a vein similar to Mike Grell's green arrow with a flawed hero who walks the tight rope of almost being to flawed. This is a great book because, its only like 10 issues in right now so there isnt much backstory you can miss if you pick up any issues your LCS has.

Batgirl is simply a fantastic title, that delves into the characters psyche so well that you get a sense of her within moments of reading a book. Gabrych is fantastic in blending character and plot with smooth action that moves with such ease and speed it feels more like a movie sequence then reading on the page to me.

Finally, you may want to try out Green Lantern, given this book has just started, I dont see Johns jumping in to the crossover game with Hal Jordan on this title, instead I think the direction is going much more towards telling a bright older school feel comic where the hero is the hero and he is gonna come through in the end every time. I'd give it a try, if I were you but if you dont like it after a couple it might not be your cup of tea.

Old June 1st, 2005   alanscott606 is offline   #4
alanscott606
Neo Geoffan

Aquaman: I haven't read much but what I have I really enjoyed.

Hawkman: Same with Aquaman, what little I have read I liked.

Firestorm: I haven't read this new Firestorm series.

Birds of Prey: I love this book. One of my favorite titles put out every month.

Legends of the Dark Knight: I haven't read this in years.

Action Comics: Not a big Superman fan but I may start picking this up since Gail Simone has started writing it.

Legion: Anothe rmust buy every month.

Catwoman: I bought the first 33 issue's but I have dropped the book. I just couldn't get into it.

Breach: Never read this one so no opnion.

Gotham Central: Another Under rated title put out by DC.

Blood of the Demon: Very good book, Byrne's artwork looks great in this series and his writing has been up to par.

Hunt up Geoff Johns run on Flash and JSA. You can get both in TPB form and they are well worth the money being spent.

I would also like to suggest you give Manhunter a try, I am sure you won't be disappointed.
Last edited by alanscott606; June 1st, 2005 at 11:21 AM.

Old June 2nd, 2005   syko60 is offline   #5
syko60
Advanced Geoffan

All Bat Titles, The Minis that lead into Infinite Crisis (you can find out what happens in the other books by just checking out DC comics.com every monday as they update on what happens), JSA, JLA, Green Arrow, and you have to check out Runaways over at Marvel.

Old June 2nd, 2005   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #6
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

ok if you havn't been into comics recently one word of advice from this massive arrowhead......don't buy green arrow. As hard as it is for me to admit it's not worth buying anymore with the new art team. You want good booke....

Read Manhunter. good stuff and not bogged by continuity. just great writing and a plot that has unfolded extremely well over 10 issues. After that I'd say the second best has been the new Firestorm series. The last arc Ronnie returned in a fasion as his conciousness was molded in to the firestorm persona which allowed him to train the new firestorm in a way. Great great book. The newe team takes over now with 14 so I'm not sure how that will go. The next book that is a must read and not related to the big crisis events is Aquaman. While the new team is not half as good as Will and Ostrander were it's wtill pretty **** good.

The bat titles you should avoid like the plague as gotham knights is still bad, Batman revived Jason Todd.....Detective is actually in a pretty good pre war games 12 part story arc and Legends has been dominated by mr. freeze too much lately.

However Batgirl has been amazing. Anderson Gabyrich is writing one amazing story after another and is really writing a fantastic story. Robin has been pretty good with willingham. Damien Scotts art lagged but the new art team starts with the next issue. The writing was great but the art just threw me off. Green Arrow has the same problem. Also catwoman has been a series of fill in arcs....a copuple of which were pretty good but lagged but Pfhifer and Pete woods are the new creative team starting with the next issue and that is great as I love both of them.....and PETE WOODS IS THE FREAKING MAN!!!!!!!!! Sorry I'll be a woods fan forever after the amazingly detailed Grell era ollie he drew in my sketchbook. Pick it up with the next arc though and it shoudl rock the house with those 2

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old June 2nd, 2005   Peter Bardyn is offline   #7
Peter Bardyn
7 Star General

I really don't think DC has any bad titles right now. Some might not be as good as others, but everything is worth reading, especially with Infinite Crisis on the horizon.

With that said, I'd recommend Hawkman right now. Not only is the series great with the current creative team, but Hawkman will be killed in the very next issue (#40) of his own series!

Old June 2nd, 2005   jadejaws is offline   #8
jadejaws
persona non grata

Well, Im back after a hiatus of a couple months from comics, but the Batman begins trailers have bit me with the bug again. Anyway, I still dont have much money, but I do want to get back into comics. DC is apparently doing some big crossover on some of their titles. I am not a fan of crossovers as they are often too expensive to keep up with so I am going to avoid books dealing heavily in the crisis stuff.

So in short, can anybody catch me up with what has happened in the following titles the past couple months. Thanks in advance.

Aquaman, Hawkman,
Firestorm, Birds of Prey, Legends of the Dark Knight, Action Comics, Legion, Catwoman, Breach, Gotham Central, Blood of the Demon

ddf
Mike Wimmer
Of that list BOP is excellent. The others all "meh". BOP is an amazing read though, definitely worth a shot.

Old June 2nd, 2005   allanf is offline   #9
allanf
Geoffan

Aquaman, Hawkman,

ddf
Mike Wimmer
I'd recommend Aquaman, Hawkman, Birds Of Prey, Action, Legion, and Gotham Central. Good Stuff.

Old June 2nd, 2005   Astroape2000 is offline   #10
Astroape2000
Heretic Hammer Horseman

Hawkman is so good it's not even funny. I heard a lot of good things about the series so I picked it up. Everything good thing that was said about it is true.

Old June 4th, 2005   Jacoby is offline   #11
Jacoby

Please read Manhunter, its a great story and will be easy to catch-up on. BoP is also fairly good

Old June 4th, 2005   Mike Wimmer is offline   #12
Mike Wimmer
persona non grata

Manhunter is involved in a bunch of main DCU stories, plus I am taking a break from DCU titles save for Legion due to Crisis.

Old June 4th, 2005   PMH is offline   #13
PMH
Freedom Fighter

so now you're not buying any DCU titles?

"I don't imagine there will be any X-Men similarities. Except when Damage starts smoking cigars and calling everyone "Bub."

SNIKT!" -Matt Sturges
Old June 4th, 2005   Chris Hansbrough is offline   #14
Chris Hansbrough
Scion of Mogo

I know a lot of poeple doing the same thing.....company wide continuity is only a good thing if you eather a) own a shop and can get it cheap or b)work full time and live with your parents......

EIC - Nerdstock Comics
Webhost - Plastikitty

X-Box Live : Scion of Mogo
PSN : Scion_of_Mogo
Steam : Scion_of_Mogo
Old June 4th, 2005   Not My Real Name is offline   #15
Not My Real Name*
The Invisible Horseman

If future tie-ins to Inifinite Crisis and the Countdown minis are anything like the Identity Crisis tie-in, then you have nothing to worry about with Manhunter. The Identity Crisis tie-in did not require you to read Identity Crisis nor did it require you to have any knowledge about what happened in the mini. All pertinent information was contained in the tie-in issue. Using "tie-in anxiety" as an excuse to avoid the title is just denying yourself a good read.
Last edited by Not My Real Name; June 4th, 2005 at 07:29 PM.

II + II = VII
Old June 4th, 2005   Mike Wimmer is offline   #16
Mike Wimmer
persona non grata

Im looking at the other titles a bit more. I will be buying books like JLA: Classified and maybe JSA: Classified to go along with Legion, Legends of the Dark Knight, and The All-Star books. The main titles I am avoiding though.

Manhunter, I have read a few issues, #1 and #2 to be precise before my exile and wasnt all that impressed, the character is too unlikeable to me.