The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old January 13th, 2007   ajohns2012 is offline   #1
ajohns2012

Default Thoughts on Secret Origin of Power Girl (SPOILERS)

The secret origin of Power Girl was in this week's (36) 52, after being postponed from its original solicitation to avoid spoiling...something. Now the spoiler claim could just be a way of saying the artwork wasn't ready on schedule, but if there truly was a spoiler in the story, what was it?

One possibility: The revelation that Power Girl has all her original powers back. This was in the text portion at the end of the origin story, and we saw Power Girl using her vision powers in this week's Justice Society of America #2. If that's the spoiler, it's a small one.

Another possibility: There was an odd panel in the origin story. Kal-L is heading towards a light/tunnel/boom tube and Power Girl is trying to go after him, but is held back by Kal-El and Supergirl. OK, where's this scene from? It can't be COIE because the "original"Supergirl was already dead by the time Alex took Kal-L into the light and the "current" Supergirl hadn't shown up yet (unless of course Superboy Prime's punches have mucked with COIE as well; slight headache starting). It also can't be from Infinite Crisis because Supergirl was with Donna Troy's space team during while Kal-L, Power Girl and Kal-El were interacting. So, sloppy editing or something else?

I'm also confused by the references to Power Girl as the sole survivor of the Earth-2 universe. Sole survivor of the Earth-2 Krypton, sure, but of the Earth-2 universe? What does that make the surviving Golden Age members of the JSA, Freedom Fighters, etc?

Discuss.

A Johns

No relation
Old January 13th, 2007   achilles140 is offline   #2
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

Yes, thhe bit with Supergirl and Superman holding Power Girl back had me puzzled as well. If this origin was postponed to avoid spoiling something, than they missed the mark, since this can't possibly have happened yet. Given that Kal-L is supposed to making something of a comeback, I assume that this is a scene from the future, (implying that Kal-L's comeback isn't destined to be a long one).

Another interesting thing is that Power Girl is now supposed to have the exact same powers and vulnerabiliies as both Superman and Supergirl. Which contradicts IC's position on E-2 Kryptonians vulnerability to New Earth Kryptonite, but I would assume that this is just a houskeeping measure, in order to square her with the other extant Kryptonians, and to avoid giving her an advantage over them.

As always, I loved AH's portrayal of Power Girl, (the best along with Connor's---followed by the current JSA artist). His bust of her is superb, (at the price of $45, a great collectible---especially given that its a limited edition).

Old January 13th, 2007   E2Brutus is offline   #3
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

I'm also confused by the references to Power Girl as the sole survivor of the Earth-2 universe. Sole survivor of the Earth-2 Krypton, sure, but of the Earth-2 universe? What does that make the surviving Golden Age members of the JSA, Freedom Fighters, etc?

Discuss.
ddf
ajohns2012 View Post
After COIE, the Golden Agers' histories were folded into the new DCU. Power Girl's wasn't. She's the only one whose history is that she came from an other-dimensional Earth. The others were born, developed, became heroes on this Earth.

Old January 14th, 2007   michealdark is offline   #4
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

After COIE, the Golden Agers' histories were folded into the new DCU. Power Girl's wasn't. She's the only one whose history is that she came from an other-dimensional Earth. The others were born, developed, became heroes on this Earth.
ddf
E2Brutus View Post
This sounds like the most logical thing

http://www.fanfiction.net/~mikedark2-My FF.net account,w/my TT fanfics
http://www.myspace.com/mymindseye-My music project's page.

RIP Tara
Old January 14th, 2007   flamebird is offline   #5
flamebird*
Unabashedly Uninformed

yeah, the kryptonite thing kinda threw me too.

The rest, eh; holds up about as well as the rest of the "origins" in 52.

We will get this book on schedule dammit.-geoff johns
"Christians consume baby seals."-Paul King
Old January 14th, 2007   E2Brutus is offline   #6
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

This sounds like the most logical thing
ddf
michealdark View Post
Sorry, I promise it won't happen again.

Old January 14th, 2007   Patrick Gerard is offline   #7
Patrick Gerard
Geoffan

Honestly. INFINITE CRISIS wasn't terribly well researched in places either. Marv Wolfman and Phil Jimenez referenced actual moments from Earth-Prime and Earth-2 history while the main script contradicted them.

But here's my no prize answer...

Supergirl was dead as of Crisis #12. Which meant that rules regarding time travel didn't apply (you could never co-exist with yourself).

Shortly before her death, Kara searched for the first moment in the timestream she could materialize properly in to pinpoint her death. She emerged circa the end of CRISIS #12. She woke up Kal-El (he was KOed by Kal-L, right) and the two traveled to the Antimatter Universe with Power Girl to assist Superboy-Prime, Alexander Luthor and Kal-L. They got there too late as the anti-matter wave was approaching and Kal-L was entering Alexander Luthor's portal.

Power Girl tried to follow him but Kal-El and Kara stopped her. Kara said goodbye to Kal (and had one last adventure with him, hopefully discounting the "secret marriage" stuff) and then Kal and Power Girl returned to the fortress to mourn as seen in the closing pages of #12.

Then Superboy-Prime hit a wall and the Byrne reboot happened and Power Girl became an anomaly.

Old January 14th, 2007   the thunderstrike04 is offline   #8
the thunderstrike04
Shazam Rules!

that funny, I am puzzled and confuse. when I saw Supergirl and Kal-el stopped her. there something I couldn't understand.

Old January 14th, 2007   Dr Ray Palmer is offline   #9
Dr Ray Palmer
get your adverbs here

Yeah, it does seem to be a nod to the scene in COIE #11 where Kal-L is trying to get back to Earth-2 only to find a black void where it used to exist. He tries to step off the cosmic treadmill into the void and Kal-El grabs him by the cape and drags him back. Maybe now we're supposed to believe that Power Girl has been pasted into that scene in Kal-L's place? Everything he says there could certainly also be said by her ("I feel like I don't belong on that earth. I belong elsewhere ... Don't you see? I don't have a home. There's no longer a multiverse ... the universe was re-formed ... my Krypton never existed!").

But of course that doesn't explain why Supergirl would be there. So yeah, it confused me, too.

It also bugged me that they stuck an ad in the middle of her origin.

Dr Ray Palmer :: I'm not microscopic, I'm just drawn that way
Old January 15th, 2007   trademark is offline   #10
trademark

I'm pretty sure the cape dragging panel is just a metaphor and not an actual event that took place.

Old January 15th, 2007   michealdark is offline   #11
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

I'm pretty sure the cape dragging panel is just a metaphor and not an actual event that took place.
ddf
trademark View Post
This too is failry logical. Sorry about the one-liners,but I can't find much to comment on seeing as I just read it in the store. I spent all my comic money last week continuing my catchup one Tara II,so I have to get this one,JSA #2,and Green Arrow #70 from last week,plus whatever comes out this week and finish my backissue buying. I'm gonna have a busy day Wednesday.

RIP Tara
Old January 17th, 2007   MattDiCarlo is offline   #12
MattDiCarlo
Threat or Menace?

Johns sort of messed himself up by introducing so many cool ideas for Power Girl's origin and then going with one of the more pedestrian ones, even if it did fit the larger story.

I'm not sure what I liked most, the Earth-3/anti matter Supergirl(Ultragirl?), Andromeda back from the future, or a Titans Tomorrow baby.

Old January 17th, 2007   achilles140 is offline   #13
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

The one where she was Ursa from the Phantom Zone was cool. I think it was the first appearence in a mainstream, (non-movie adaptation), DCU comic of the character named Ursa from the movies. Regardless of whether she was made into Ursa, it would have been cool to see Peege have some connection to Zod and the Phantom Zone.

Old January 17th, 2007   sylpemberton is offline   #14
sylpemberton
A Ginger Horseman

Location: Wish I could say New York but no I'm stuck twelve hours North East by car...

meh. her first origin works. and she has it back now. with the added layer of being the only surviver from the entire universe as well.

they tried to give her a new origin before, it didn't work, and no matter what they came up with new, it still would have been less than accepted by some. plus i don't want her to be Kal-El's family or from his Krypton or anything else. i like her with the ties to Kal-L instead.

Old January 17th, 2007   Dokhou is offline   #15
Dokhou
Advanced Geoffan

Ah, but is she the sole survivor? Remember the Super-arm coming out of the grave in Justice Society f America #1?

But hey, thats just my opinion..

Hawkeye is back!
Old January 17th, 2007   michealdark is offline   #16
michealdark
Wants a Rose plushy

meh. her first origin works. and she has it back now. with the added layer of being the only surviver from the entire universe as well.

they tried to give her a new origin before, it didn't work, and no matter what they came up with new, it still would have been less than accepted by some. plus i don't want her to be Kal-El's family or from his Krypton or anything else. i like her with the ties to Kal-L instead.
ddf
sylpemberton View Post
In some ways it does keep her tied to Kal-El too,and Kara(being that technically they are the same family again,just different universes...if that makes any sense at all. It's like me meeting an alternate version of me. Even though we might be seperated by an entire reality,we're still really one in the same),so she can feel some connection to them again. While being new to PG myself,I do love her interaction with Kal-El usually because even though she tried to distance herself from him in some respects,he still treated her like family and loved her alot even at the times she thought she wasn't Kryptonian. He's always been there when she need a friend,confidantè,and shoulder to cry on.

RIP Tara